GameStop Universal System Selector Pro HD $24.99...Pelican at Gamestop.com

I recieved mine today, I'm trying to decide if I should return it unopened, or try it first to see how it does, and then return it if the picture doesn't look good. Think they'll give me any trouble if I open it?

Just my two cents here..

I ordered the $24.99 unit from Gamestop, and waiting on delivery, which should be tomorrow. I would have even kept it, because it does seem like a very good deal. However, as the posters here, and TheKleaner from PlayMoreConsoles.com
have said, this unit doesn't have digital audio support, either coaxial or optical. I think this is a huge mistake on Pelican's part, and it was the biggest selling point on the new unit for me. I mean, how many people who are serious enough about their consoles/DVD/TV to need an HD Selector with 4 component inputs doesn't also need to switch digital audio between them? Would have used it with my Xbox, PS2, DVD player and Dish DVR Receiver, all Component and Optical audio. But forget that. Looks like I'm sticking with my DVD player occupying the sole Component and Digital Audio spots on my TV and receiver. This could have been a great product, with an awesome price tag, but they dropped the ball. Just another problem to throw into the fray, along with the Bait & Switch and possible signal degradation.

[quote name='dafoomie']I recieved mine today, I'm trying to decide if I should return it unopened, or try it first to see how it does, and then return it if the picture doesn't look good. Think they'll give me any trouble if I open it?[/quote]

Although it isn't crystal clear, apparently you can't get a refund on anything that is opened.

You are, however, entitled to a return shipping credit, due to Gamestop.com's listing error on this product.

If you are unsure, I suggest you return it and try out the work-alike product from Wal-Mart.

[quote name='"aaronprather"'][quote name='tokerblue']Just to be clear, this review is based on the $79-$99 Pelican HD Pro selector.[/quote]
> Sorry, I must have missed the model. Is the one listed a lower end model? If so, I can't imagine the video bandwidth actually being better.

[quote name='tokerblue']I found this review. Note that it's a review from a competitor, but at least it is based on measurements from a machine.

http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm

Whether or not you'll notice a drop in PQ is dependent on what equipment you are using.[/quote]

WOW, thatnks for the link, there switcher, the CSW02 has 4 Hd inputs along with 4 toslinks, with 2 outputs. This HAS the bandwidth to support 720p/1080i with no signal loss Plus Remote switching for us Lazy S.O.B.'s
For $129, not bad at all. just pick up a cheap hub and you have ethernet switching as well.

Now maybe I am an idiot, but mine works great with no loss in picture quality. I even asked my friends if they noticed a difference and they didnt, and I finally got my surround sound set up, so I am thrilled with how its all turned out. So I am keeping my switch, even though they promised the HD Pro, I know I wont be able to get that one, so this one works for me. So for the people that I have tried it, how much has your picture quality changed, cuz I honestly do not notice it...

I dont have a lot of stuff that plays in 720p...so far its just 480, is there that big a drop for my 720p games?

480p doesn't really test the bandwidth of the device... If you could try a 720p game out on it, like Soul Calibur 2, it would be a definitive answer.

This is the email I got this morning after writing a scathing email a few days ago:

Dear Customer,
We apologize for the inconvenience. There was an error with our site. We have credited your account for the order. Please keep the item that you received as an apology. The credit will post in your account in a few business days.

Happy Holidays!!
We value your business and hope to see you again soon at GameStop.com.
Best regards,
Kelly
GameStop.com

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

[quote name='jaybird']This is the email I got this morning after writing a scathing email a few days ago:

Dear Customer,
We apologize for the inconvenience. There was an error with our site. We have credited your account for the order. Please keep the item that you received as an apology. The credit will post in your account in a few business days.

Happy Holidays!!
We value your business and hope to see you again soon at GameStop.com.
Best regards,
Kelly
GameStop.com

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:[/quote]

Could I have a copy of the email you sent? I need to get mine taken care of as well :)

Well, I was not able to get mine credited without returning it, so I asked the phone representative what they could do. So they are sending me a $20 off coupon through my e-mail. Now keep in mind, im perfectly happy with the selector they sent, but they did bait and switch, so I will gladly take the coupon. Dafoomie, I will try SC2 as soon as I can, I have a final exam at 3, but I thought this was prevalent to post.

I sent an email a couple days ago asking for a refund... No response yet. Hopefully I'll get the same treatment you guys did.

I just got off of the phone with them. They were really helpful and I have to admit that I was surprised at how nice they were.

What they are going to do is that everyone who got in on this will get $20 off a new order of anything. The rep implied that this will come to anyone who ordered, regardless of whether they contact Gamestop or not, but I would at the very least shoot off an email to them asking about the error to make sure you get it.

Additionally, if you want to return the item, they will ship it back to them, but you do have to contact them for an RMA and their FedEx shipping number.

For those who are really interested in the pro unit, they do have it available for $79.99 here.

With a return of the other unit and the $20 coupon, you are talking about $35+tax (and maybe shipping, I am not sure whether you can combine codes) for the pro unit that does optical switching and has inputs for 7 devices instead of 4.

Again, I have to give Kudos to Gamestop for not pulling some of the crap that other retailers pull when they make mistakes like this. All they "had" to do was accept back the mislabeled units, but they have gone an extra mile and given us something as well. :applause:

I am not sure what I personally am going to do, so I'd like to hear what others think about it. Thanks!

I am normally not this lucky, but after three phone calls to three different people, I finally got a hold of the CS manager for GameStop. I spoke to her for about 15 minutes, and she agreed to send me the Pro version if I returned the old one. I already had been offered the $20 coupon, but I declined. I just told her I'd rather have the item I ordered, and she complied. My Pro version should be here Monday!

I emailed Gamestop about sending the wrong item and I haven't gotten a response from them. Is calling them the best method to getting this resolved and getting my $20 coupon?

I got around to hooking mine up this weekend & the first port is blown. I can't get a good picture from it. It has a bunch of fuzzy "noise" in the picture, especially noticable on black screens.

I was testing it & hooked my Xbox up to the front port to make sure that first port truly was bad and it wasn't my Xbox. Once confirmed, I pulled the cables from the box and pulled the damn front plastic panel halfway off. :lol:

I'd return it, but since they gave it to me for free, I really don't want to push my luck. :)

I can confirm that it is officially a POS.

Got my Pro Selector in the mail yesterday, hooked it up and all is good! And bonus, they still sent me the $20 code. So essentially, I got the Pro version for $4.99. :)

bread's done
Back