Gamestop warranty or MS warranty?

lbanks21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
145 (100%)
i have a gamestop warranty. 50 bucks for a year. my 360 is recently freezing on me at time to time. getting tired of it along with my loud hitachi drive. i called up gamestop and asked them if i use my warranty can i switch out my old 360 for a newly manufactured 360(the one with BenQ drive....the REAL quiet one that doesnt heat up discs
big_smile.gif
) the manager said that he can do that. now the problem is i heard the MS 2 year warranty is pretty good now that MS has upgraded their customer service. should i do this?? or should i just buy the gamestop warranty?
i wont be able to drive soon for awhile cuz i'm going to be in college. if i do the MS warranty i can just send it in VIA UPS. gamestop will be hard to do cuz there isnt one near the college im going to. my friend recommended me the MS warranty cuz he got his 360 back within a week and got his same console back and not a refurbished one. what do you guys think?

Personally I'd always go for the warranty that gets you a brand new strait from the box console over one that requires you to mail it in.

I had an EB warranty on my PS2 from launch. It's the easiest process in the world to walk in, watch them open a sealed box and remove the console and hand it to you.

Your friend was lucky. It took MS 6 days to even ship out the box for my 360. 10 days total from call to delivery. Now I am waiting for it to get back to them while I can continue counting the days.

the thing is i dont have 50 bucks to give to gamestop when i switch out my 360. i think gamestop only lets you buy the warranty when you are switching it out for the new replacement. can i trade in games to put it toward the warranty?

[quote name='Surferflames']Personally I'd always go for the warranty that gets you a brand new strait from the box console over one that requires you to mail it in.[/quote]

I agree with Surferflames. Anything you get from MS is probably going to be remanufactured not new.

Actually MS is to a point where you actually get your system back now. It takes a few more days, but in the end I'd say it is worth it.

With the piss poor reliability, I'd go with MS on this one. I don't want to shell out $50 every six months when the console dies. $50 for unlimited with MS.

Not to mention "insert obligatory Gamestop/EB sucks" line here. ;)

[quote name='Corvin']Actually MS is to a point where you actually get your system back now. It takes a few more days, but in the end I'd say it is worth it.

With the piss poor reliability, I'd go with MS on this one. I don't want to shell out $50 every six months when the console dies. $50 for unlimited with MS.

Not to mention "insert obligatory Gamestop/EB sucks" line here. ;)[/quote]

ah... hrm. unlimited warranty? do tell.

Sorry. It's two years, unlimited returns.

The two year MS warranty allows you to return it as many times necessary in that two year period to get a working system. So you have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty + the 2 year extended. So 3 years of unlimited returns.

I'm on my third system. If I went the gamestop or best buy route, I'd already be out $150.

[quote name='Corvin']Sorry. It's two years, unlimited returns.

The two year MS warranty allows you to return it as many times necessary in that two year period to get a working system. So you have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty + the 2 year extended. So 3 years of unlimited returns.

I'm on my third system. If I went the gamestop or best buy route, I'd already be out $150.[/quote]
yeah thanks, i heard you can stack the 1 year free with the extended 2 years. i wasnt sure if it was unlimited for the 3 years but now that it is, im definitely getting the MS warranty.

when you do the MS warranty, and you return your 360 to them. do you have to return the harddrive and controller and all the cords with the 360 or can you just send in the console?

[quote name='Corvin']console only. You remove the drive, cables, custom faceplate(if you have one), memory cards, etc.[/quote]

Or if you just want a free one :)

[quote name='Corvin']console only. You remove the drive, cables, custom faceplate(if you have one), memory cards, etc.[/quote]
alrgiht thanks, i'm getting the MS warranty for sure.

This was a helpful thread. One more question: if I buy my 360 used from a third party, is it possible to purchase the MS 2-year extension even then, provided the seller has not done so? Even if the original 1 year is up? Thanks...

Edit: also, how do you purchase the extension? I went looking for answers to my own question on microsoft's site, but found no mention. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just another n00b who wants a 360 but is fearful of the failure rate! Thanks for your help..

[quote name='catapult37']This was a helpful thread. One more question: if I buy my 360 used from a third party, is it possible to purchase the MS 2-year extension even then, provided the seller has not done so? Even if the original 1 year is up? Thanks...

Edit: also, how do you purchase the extension? I went looking for answers to my own question on microsoft's site, but found no mention. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just another n00b who wants a 360 but is fearful of the failure rate! Thanks for your help..[/quote]

It's not on MS website as far as I can tell. I bought a 360 earlier this month and just called the 1-800-4MY-XBOX number that came with the unit. There was a flyer in there saying you could get the extended warranty upgraded to additional years but I just called them in. Turns our if you mail it in the warranty is $60 for two extra years (on top of the 1 year, so 3 years total) however if you call it in it's only $50. So call it in and save $10!

Question for those people who already bought the MS warranty, do they send something to you to confirm your warranty extension? How long did it take? I was told it could take about 5 days but it's been a few weeks now and no paperwork. They did charge my credit card for the warranty I would just like to see it in writing.

50? It's been 40 for me.

I think the Gamestop is way better though...this way you get a new system right on the spot, not some refurbished one.

well is it worth gettin the 360 extended warranty if say...u got ur 360 at costco :lol:
im not sure if i should get it cuz uhh yeah..ive read too many things on microsofts horrible customer service :bomb:

[quote name='avatar13']Question for those people who already bought the MS warranty, do they send something to you to confirm your warranty extension? How long did it take? I was told it could take about 5 days but it's been a few weeks now and no paperwork. They did charge my credit card for the warranty I would just like to see it in writing.[/QUOTE]

I sent in my warranty card back in February of last year and got it in September, so it might take some time. They might be faster at this point, though.

bread's done
Back