Gamestop's PS2 trade-in deal ends on the 8th?

S1lentTwo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Not sure where I should post this, but I'm planning on getting an 80 GB PS3 MGS4 bundle using the sony card, but I'd love to trade in my fat PS2 and save another $80. However it looks like that deal ends on the 8th of next month, before MGS4 comes out. Does anybody know if GS is lenient about this stuff, or...? Or you guys think it'd be a wiser move to sell the PS2 on Ebay or something instead?

Basically, I'm a poor college student, but I MUST play MGS4...looking for the cheapest way to do that.

You could always sell the PS2 and just keep the $80 credit until the PS3 comes out. Also, I'm not sure about eBay. There's already a flood of PS2s. I'd still with Gamestop. Do you have an edge card, so you can get an extra 10%? (Or is the $80 already counting the edge card?)

Can I keep the credit for later, or do I have to buy the PS3 right then? Here's the deal on the GameStop site:

Trade in your PS2 with a memory card and 2nd controller and receive $80 trade in credit toward a new PS3.

Expires: 06/08/2008. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. PS3 hardware subject to availability by location. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers.

[quote name='S1lentTwo']Can I keep the credit for later, or do I have to buy the PS3 right then? Here's the deal on the GameStop site:

Trade in your PS2 with a memory card and 2nd controller and receive $80 trade in credit toward a new PS3.

Expires: 06/08/2008. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. PS3 hardware subject to availability by location. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers.
[/quote]

You will only get the $80 if you purchase a PS3 on the same transaction. If you dont it would be just like a normal trade in with no bonus. And you will not be able to trade in your system on the 12th for the bonus because the deal ends on the 8th. All pretty much common sense.

That 'deal' BLOWS honestly. If you think about it, unless you bought the extra controller and memory card for $1 total and the PS2 for $20 or under complete, you're still getting the shit end of the deal.

Think of it this way....they charge $19.99 each for used PS2 controllers and memory cards, so if you go by that logic, you're getting $40 for your PS2. Of course, if you use their normal trade values for controllers/memory cards, you're only getting $5 each for those, thus making the PS2 worth a whopping $70.

Either way, they're still making out. You're better off selling on Ebay or Craigslist, since there you can at least bargain with people, whereas GS is a set price and that's IT.

You may get lucky.

My son wanted a DS Lite for Christmas, but the only ones that I could ever find were Pink. A little while after Christmas, they were running a special on trading in GBA's for DS Lites. So I decided to check the Game Stop near my house. All that they had were pink at the time as well. They called the other Game Stops in the area and the rest were all sold out. So we nixed the trade and my son and I headed off to Wal-Mart since we needed to shop there anyway. We found a white DS Lite at Wal-Mart and I bought it there. We then took the GBA back to Gamestop to at least get some store credit towards a DS game or 2. The guy gave us the special trade-in price even though there wasn't a DS Lite on the purchase. It may be YMMV, but you could give it a try.

It sounds like you got a hell of a deal there, Lokki. You found a GS where the people were willing to go out of their way to make a deal. Most people probably won't run into this, so very lucky indeed.

The only time I've traded in anything to them is when it was a system I got for SUPER cheap(like my $10-20 PS2 I had a while ago which scratched discs while reading them) or when it was on it's last legs really. That and the super cheap Xbox/PS2 games I was finding like crazy for a while around here @ Kmart and Sears and the like.

bread's done
Back