GameTap, $60 a year, good deal?

quadomatic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I was just looking at Gametap, and saw that the yearly cost is $60. That seems like a pretty damn good deal; having a plethora of PC games to play for the price of one 360 or PS3 game. They have all the episodes for Sam and Max and it looks like they'll be getting American McGee's Grimm as well.

What do you guys think? Is GameTap's yearly price a good deal?

BTW:...I just realized that perhaps this isn't OFFFFF topic....hmmmm

There are good games. Overlord, in particular, I recently played a demo of through Steam and enjoyed. It sells for $40 on Steam. To be included as one of the ~900 games is fairly impressive.

There's also Civilization 4, which I've been wanting to play. On the more classic side of things they have Grandia II, which I never finished.

Hell, I might do it... but I think they have an annual sale where it's half price or something. Didn't they have that a few months ago?

[quote name='Koggit']There are good games. Overlord, in particular, I recently played a demo of through Steam and enjoyed. It sells for $40 on Steam. To be included as one of the ~900 games is fairly impressive.

There's also Civilization 4, which I've been wanting to play. On the more classic side of things they have Grandia II, which I never finished.

Hell, I might do it... but I think they have an annual sale where it's half price or something. Didn't they have that a few months ago?[/QUOTE]

$60 is the half price. Normally its $10 a month with 99c for the first month. I might just want to do it for these next 2 months since I'm on break. It wouldn't be so bad...only $11 for 2 months. I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it for the rest of the year.

UPDATE: Shit, I signed up for an account. It has me put down as the monthly plan, even though I never chose it...but I only wanted to use free...WTF what do I do?

I think it may have just put me down as monthly by default. Not sure if I actually have access to gold games, but I think I might...hmmm uh oh

UPDATE: Apparently I just got a 5 day free pass for all gold games...COOL

I'd say it's worth it. You've got a treasure trove of arcade and Sega games, and a good selection of PC stuff. Just make sure to get a USB controller.

Considering the way people nut over $20 SNK games, $60 a year is awesome. You get the SF games (most (all?) the versions of Alpha, 2, and 3), a lot of casual games, check it out for yourself.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Gametap used to not work with Vista, is this still the case?[/quote]

Nope, I'm running vista and it works for me.

As for that being a good deal, I say it is. The list of good games is pretty big, and nine out of ten times, I could just pick a random game, and it was good. So, try the trial, since only you can decide.

You could always just go with the free service that gametap provides. I think you get over 100 different games a month. I know for myself I'd be hard pressed to game that much each month.

I feel it's worth it. It's more than just ports of console games too. And Gametap does work in Vista, but it doesn't work with 64 bit os's (at least all of the games I play don't). And some games do state that they don't work in Vista. Each game does list it's requirements so look over the site first. But $60 for a yearly subscription is a great deal for me.

[quote name='mogamer']I feel it's worth it. It's more than just ports of console games too. And Gametap does work in Vista, but it doesn't work with 64 bit os's (at least all of the games I play don't). And some games do state that they don't work in Vista. Each game does list it's requirements so look over the site first. But $60 for a yearly subscription is a great deal for me.[/QUOTE]

I tried intalling GameTap again this morning and still no luck. It seems to install okay, but when I run the program I get a small window in the center of the my screen that is totally white. I'm assuming it's the login page but I can't see anything and it never loads.

I tried some free games on GameTap, particularly the Capcom and SNK arcade titles and some of them poor framerates and lag (and thus played much worse online). And so noone says anything my system is more than enough to handle these games and they run perfectly on emulators. If they still do the free games thing I would try to look into that first before deciding if you want to pay for the service.

It's worth it for the Sam & Max games alone, everything else is just Gravy for me. I wish there were a few more RPGs available but generally for 60 bucks it's a steal for a year of gaming. There are a lot of games available on the Mac build when I don't feel like rebooting (usually when I'm on a time constraint), and when I do there are a ton of adventure games and the like to easily get at. I've spent more than 60 bucks on a night downtown so I don't feel bad dropping that for a year's access to a ton of games.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I tried intalling GameTap again this morning and still no luck. It seems to install okay, but when I run the program I get a small window in the center of the my screen that is totally white. I'm assuming it's the login page but I can't see anything and it never loads.[/quote]

Hmm, I've never had a problem loading or installing Gametap on either one of my pc's. One has XP Home and the other has XP MCE 2005. Can I assume your running Vista? Unfortunately, that might be the problem.

[quote name='mogamer']Hmm, I've never had a problem loading or installing Gametap on either one of my pc's. One has XP Home and the other has XP MCE 2005. Can I assume your running Vista? Unfortunately, that might be the problem.[/QUOTE]

Yes I am, I had heard that Game Tap didn't work with Vista but someone in this thread said that they had no problem running it on their Vista machine.

I beta'd GameTap back in the day and wasn't overly impressed, maybe their selection/performance are improved? I hardly used it even when I had it for free.

bread's done
Back