GameTap Lifetime Offer - $4.95/month for life

Legolas813

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Not the best service out there, but all you stand to lose is $5. The service is often buggy and support is severely lacking ever since the move to a web-based system, but it is still a pretty good deal if you like the games that are available. GameTap is now owned by Metaboli and they recently made all games 64-bit compatible. You can cancel your subscription anytime.

For Xmas, Gametap is starting an exceptional lifetime offer, limited to the first 2011 new subscribers: save $5.00/month on our Premium Pack.

Don’t miss this once in a lifetime deal!

If you want to be one of the 2011 lucky gamers who will save $5/month for life, hurry to sign up and get the best value in gaming!

*Offer limited to 2011 subscriptions. Lifetime validity for uninterrupted subscription.

Metaboli has pretty much fixed the 64 bit problem. But the service is still very glitchy with Windows 7. If your gaming rig is a Windows 7 machine, you still shouldn't sign up. Although for some, at $4.95 a month, you might be able to overlook problems until they get fixed.

Meh... It's a good deal, but I have my free onlive console and would rather just stick with that and support them. Onlive will be > than GameTap soon enough

I used it alot when I first grabed it, still paying for it, but havent played much in ages. Not sure what to say nowdays.. $5 a month for alot of games.. seems prety good still.

Keep in mind you have to call to cancel, and they will use high pressure tactics to keep you. Very Annoying

Kinda tempting to be honest, you would probably have more games then you could play for the rest of your life and while I agree their service is not wonderful meh you can pretty easily tell them to bugger them shelves if you wish to quit. Gametap and Onlive are two very diffrent things to me it seems, unless onlive has changed how they do buisness recently.

[quote name='JokerWild']Kinda tempting to be honest, you would probably have more games then you could play for the rest of your life and while I agree their service is not wonderful meh you can pretty easily tell them to bugger them shelves if you wish to quit. Gametap and Onlive are two very diffrent things to me it seems, unless onlive has changed how they do buisness recently.[/QUOTE]

Onlive does the pay $XX for unlimited game play on like half their titles. Mostly their old ones, but when their library picks up, I'm sure the number of titles playable will skyrocket.

So other than that, the only real difference between the two is OnLive is a console AND PC platform and GameTap is PC only (and a bit cheaper).

[quote name='Darknuke']Onlive does the pay $XX for unlimited game play on like half their titles. Mostly their old ones, but when their library picks up, I'm sure the number of titles playable will skyrocket.

So other than that, the only real difference between the two is OnLive is a console AND PC platform and GameTap is PC only (and a bit cheaper).[/QUOTE]

I must confess my confusion here, Gametap is pay X and you have access to this ENTIRE list of games, I didn't see anything on Onlive about doing the same thing? That would be intresting if they did, you have a link where I can read about it? Because I thought Onlive was just pay X for SINGLE game, which if you don't play it could actually be deleated from your account down the road.

So I was figured, why would I play games with Onlive when I can just own the game?

That being said I was doing some reading on gametap, I use to play on it years ago, but recently they have had problems with having keys for their games so I dunno I'm kinda iffy about trying this out. Still... 5 is only 5...

[quote name='JokerWild']I must confess my confusion here, Gametap is pay X and you have access to this ENTIRE list of games, I didn't see anything on Onlive about doing the same thing? That would be intresting if they did, you have a link where I can read about it? Because I thought Onlive was just pay X for SINGLE game, which if you don't play it could actually be deleated from your account down the road.

So I was figured, why would I play games with Onlive when I can just own the game?

That being said I was doing some reading on gametap, I use to play on it years ago, but recently they have had problems with having keys for their games so I dunno I'm kinda iffy about trying this out. Still... 5 is only 5...[/QUOTE]

http://www.onlive.com/game-system you can see that if you get an onlive console now you get access to their $9.99/mo unlimited plan for free (since it's beta right now).

With GameTap, you don't own the games either. Once you stop paying for it, you lose access.

OnLive is MUCH newer than gametap, so their library is definitely smaller, but with OnLive you get a console and you support a growing developing company that is pioneering a new frontier in gaming =). Plus, its the only way to get some indie titles on a console.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that you got to keep your gametap games if you cancelled your service, I understand its a subsription service, I would have to be pretty foolish if I didn't read the OP.

Thanks for the link btw, the Onlive beta thing looks intresting, your right the amount of games is pretty small thus far.

I was really kinda hoping Onlive would pick up something similar to Gametap on this, no offense to Onlive, but when I heard about their other serive I was intrested signed up for more information then found out what they were doing thought it was rubbish. Games you don't own (as in locally) and can't mod, I wouldn't even pay half the price if you stream them to me, however if you offer me a bundle deal where I can pay a monthly price to play a list of games, then my earlier concerns are minamized.

Another question, I can see the beta is only for people who own that ridiculous $100 console that does nothing but stream the game for you, this is after all why I have a computer. No offense to those who own it, I'm just a pc gamer. Anywho, my question was I assume, hopefully, that this subscription isn't only for those who have the console after the beta?

Can I pay to play sans the console or am I forced to get that as well? I once again have not used Onlive, so I don't know.

[quote name='JokerWild']Another question, I can see the beta is only for people who own that ridiculous $100 console that does nothing but stream the game for you, this is after all why I have a computer. No offense to those who own it, I'm just a pc gamer. Anywho, my question was I assume, hopefully, that this subscription isn't only for those who have the console after the beta?

Can I pay to play sans the console or am I forced to get that as well? I once again have not used Onlive, so I don't know.[/QUOTE]

The beta is only for console owners, but the subscription, once live, is for both PC and console. You say that all it does is stream, but how is it any different than an Xbox that has digital content on it? You can play about 95% of the games on Xbox on PC as well and you don't get modding capabilities on Xbox either.

Personally, I think the $100 price tag is extremely fair and the ability to have tons of full games at your disposal without discs is a nice plus. Their controllers and consoles do cost money to manufacture and I'm sure $100 really only gives them a small profit per console.

Onlive is supposed to be a substitute for gaming PCs and the console is a cheap alternative to current gen consoles. On top of all that, you share your games between your PC and console, unlike Xbox or PS3. You can spend $2000+ on a gaming PC or $300+ on consoles, or $100 on OnLive. Seems very fair if you ask me.

I already have this price grandfathered in from the last time they offered $60/year, but maybe this will change it so I don't have to prepay a year in advance, but now I see it says for new customers only, so I guess that sucks to be an existing customer. They seem to be making some effort to work out the bugs though after letting 64-bit users die for about a year, mainly antivirus glitches and stuff. Definitely not a prime time ready product, even after all these years.

For me, it's hit or miss on which games work on my system. But the value is definitely there if there are enough games that work for you.

do people like this service overall tough? I have a 32bit windows 7 laptop, and a 64bit desktop, think this would be a great service to play some older games...

[quote name='Darknuke']You say that all it does is stream, but how is it any different than an Xbox that has digital content on it?[/QUOTE]
As opposed to what? Analog content? :lol: The content is on the Xbox. You can manipulate the data as you will.

Onlive is merely a window. A very overpriced window that will be made moreso when you have to pay a subscription fee on top of owning your 100$ video decoder. The "console" holds nothing other than what is needed to send controller inputs and output video. You know what else can do that and a bunch of other things?
a cell phone

as for gametap i used it for free for a few years and can't say i didn't get my money's worth. their selection was always too limited however and ever for games i'd play i often purchase games and don't play them till months later since my gaming schedule is determined by what my friends want to play that night. a subscription service would just be dumping money till i played something. that and with gog, steam, and impulse having so many great sales year round, its like why tie yourself into a subscription? 5$ a month is cheap, but still, why?

[quote name='Glen4321']Keep in mind you have to call to cancel, and they will use high pressure tactics to keep you. Very Annoying[/QUOTE]
No you cancel by E-mail.You actually can't even call them.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']do people like this service overall tough? I have a 32bit windows 7 laptop, and a 64bit desktop, think this would be a great service to play some older games...[/QUOTE]
I have a 32bit xp desktop and my mom(You can make sub-accounts for people(Up to 7? I think)) has a 64Bit Win7 laptop.She only plays the causal games but it works fine for both of use,Never had any real problems my self but I have seen on the forums that experience can very greatly depending on your specific PC.

I think it's worth this price,You get access to the whole catalog(which has some real gems in it) plus usually 3 new games every week.Out of the about 156 new games you get every year your bound to get at least a few that would make it worth the $60 a year price.

Yea I think I may try it out... I know this applies to new customers, but what about if I choose to deactivate it? Anyone read about that? And then choose to activate it later. Think I'd still get the $5 a month, or would I pay whatever it is at that point?

I enjoy Gametap, personally. They have a good list of games that I've enjoyed playing, and they've consistently added new games often enough to make it worth my while to continue my subscription.

I was a HUGE supporter of GameTap, Hell I even bought a new licence of 32bit XP when I build my computer JUST for GameTap. But when they got rid of the client, the convenience and appeal was no longer there for me. Now I've got at least half their library anyway. But when they had the client, and the AdultSwim cartoons accessible through it, man, that was the best thing ever.

Lol I swear I read the title as "lifetime offer-4.95" completely disregarding the "/month" part. Still not bad but to be honest, i loved gametap when i did have it, so I may have to jump on it.

I just let my subscription lapse after 2-3 years. Its really gone down hill since Turner dropped off and sold it. There doesn't seem to be anywhere near the quantity of games they used to have. I had the $4.95 deal where I was paying yearly and they just sent me an e-mail saying I was cancelled, no notice or anything. I think its a zombie service.

[quote name='turls']I just let my subscription lapse after 2-3 years. Its really gone down hill since Turner dropped off and sold it. There doesn't seem to be anywhere near the quantity of games they used to have. I had the $4.95 deal where I was paying yearly and they just sent me an e-mail saying I was cancelled, no notice or anything. I think its a zombie service.[/QUOTE]

I let my sub lapse in Nov 2009 after paying for three years. The service turned to complete crap. Metaboli just didn't get that the Gametap community was just that, a community. Of course everything that Turner had, from the videos to the client, wasn't available to them either. And it was felt that Gametap wasn't profitable for Turner either. I still go to their forums once in a while and still see that the service, though improved from Metaboli's first effort, is still glitchy. It's really a shame too because Gametap worked really well in 32 bit XP (but XP is now a couple gens old).

I don't trust them. I signed up for a previous $59.95/yr for life deal and they canceled it when they went to the premium memberships. I'll stick to buying my games from places like GoG where I know I have them for life.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Yea I think I may try it out... I know this applies to new customers, but what about if I choose to deactivate it? Anyone read about that? And then choose to activate it later. Think I'd still get the $5 a month, or would I pay whatever it is at that point?[/QUOTE]
If it works like the old $60 a year offer it will keep the discounted price as long as it auto-renews,Canceling will probably lose the price.

[quote name='jac1002']If it works like the old $60 a year offer it will keep the discounted price as long as it auto-renews,Canceling will probably lose the price.[/QUOTE]

I never turned off auto-renew and it canceled me.

bread's done
Back