Gametap question.

wageslave

CAGiversary!
First of all, please forgive me if there is an existing thread like this. I did a search and did not find one. :bouncy:

Has anyone here ever tried gametap? Did you find it to be good, bad, or indifferent? They seem to gave a good catalog of games, including some games I was thinking of buying outright. I use my laptop where a high speed connection is available (DSL or Cable).

[quote name='Megazell']
Website Spotlight

Gametap

GameTap is an American online video game service established by Turner Broadcasting System (TBS). Dubbed by TBS as a "broadband gaming network", the service provides users with classic arcade, video games and game related video content. Users can play 21 free games. Subscribers are provided access to hundreds of games for either 99 cents for the 1st month and $9.95 USD a month afterward, or $79.95 USD a year.

Megazell's Comment - I use this service from time to time because the list of what's free constantly changes. My recommendation is to use the free service when you can as some of the games are very good and for free - Can't beat that :) For those of you on Netbooks this would be ideal also because many of their games are browser based.

Download it here - http://www.gametap.com/

Currently Free List as of 01/01/10

4sd1ex.jpg

Click Here!

For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'
[/QUOTE]

I only use their free services. It's good. I played games like Psychonauts and others on it.

Used to be a great service with the client but they went entirely web based. They may have improved it since then but when it went web based I stopped using even the freebies I hated it so much.

I used to be a permanent beta tester for them while the client was still around. Like Hydro said, it was an awesome service.

And having full access without paying was pretty damn nice too, haha.

I was a paying member of Gametap for two years, but didn't renew after the crap of switching over to the web client. There are still plenty of problems even after more than a year. But at least some games are 64 bit compatible.

Anyway, there is a bit of information you need to know. The free accounts are no longer available. I still have a free account because that is what my premium account was converted to after I let it lapse. But if someone went to the site looking to start a new account, the free option is no longer there.

Gametap was awesome, but it has really gone downhill. And their support is really thin. They don't even have anyone from support on the forums helping out anymore.

[quote name='mogamer']I was a paying member of Gametap for two years, but didn't renew after the crap of switching over to the web client. There are still plenty of problems even after more than a year. But at least some games are 64 bit compatible.

Anyway, there is a bit of information you need to know. The free accounts are no longer available. I still have a free account because that is what my premium account was converted to after I let it lapse. But if someone went to the site looking to start a new account, the free option is no longer there.

Gametap was awesome, but it has really gone downhill. And their support is really thin. They don't even have anyone from support on the forums helping out anymore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the bit of info. I have not used it since COD 2 was free on their.

Time to remove it from my list.

I had played Gametap a looong time ago, and re-signed into my account when I saw this. I have a free account because of when I signed up for it, and was hoping that'd be a bypass for the game packs. Apparently not.

...Yeah, not going to pay $5 a month to play arcade games. Sad to see this news. :/

Just another case of a service being awesome to begin with, only to basically get greedy and turn it into shit.

[quote name='SEH']Just another case of a service being awesome to begin with, only to basically get greedy and turn it into shit.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Gametap turned to shit because of greed. Turner (the original owner) no longer wanted to run this service. I guess it didn't fit into Time/Warners plans (although Warner is now a game publisher :roll:). It was bought by Metaboli, a French company who runs a simular service in France and the UK. Metaboli went to a web-based service because that's how they do it in Europe. Sadly, the transformation was horrible and quite a few things were dropped in the process. Although Turner was cutting back on all the extras themselves. I really doubt that gametap was making much (if any) money for Turner.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'll skip gametap and will get my games from Amazon or Steam.

[quote name='wageslave']Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'll skip gametap and will get my games from Amazon or Steam.[/QUOTE]

Check out www.gog.com too. They also have free games on their accounts also.

Megazell, you are seriously The Master Of Free.

Fo srs.

Three free games on Gog is kind of rough though, considering their catalogue.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Megazell, you are seriously The Master Of Free.

Fo srs.

Three free games on Gog is kind of rough though, considering their catalogue.[/QUOTE]

;) Just add those 3 to the 960 on my list and you will be set for some time ;)

I still have to say gametap isnt to bad a deal. There are alot of pretty good games on it. Steam, GoG, etc have all made old games more accessble, but tehy are still generelay in the $5+ area, gametap is basicly the price of 2 cheap games a month. I do agree the Web Based stuff is annoying, but it works for me 99% of the time (it was bad early on). One thing i used alot, it lets you set up 4 other users, I had 4 freinds all using logins and playing (at same time). Now I must admit I havent checked if that still works with the new Web based one but I would assume it does as they are different logins (just need the original login to set um up).

I think gametap is dying becuase of digital downloads, not Turner or anything like that. When it was new it was the best at what it did, now there are alot more options, and its just not as appealing.

I would suggest trying it for a month, not to your liking, dump it. The Paid service has ALOT of games.

Game tap, never got around to trying out the service because I have way to many games to play already. But I agree for $10 bucks a month they have some pretty modern games on there, so instead of paying block buster to rent a game for a week you get it for a month. Great service for those not wanting to buy a game for the PC and never touch it again.

[quote name='Vampire_Zio']Game tap, never got around to trying out the service because I have way to many games to play already. But I agree for $10 bucks a month they have some pretty modern games on there, so instead of paying block buster to rent a game for a week you get it for a month. Great service for those not wanting to buy a game for the PC and never touch it again.[/QUOTE]

No one is debating the concept. It's the execution. Which one can only understand if they actually tried the service.

bread's done
Back