GameTrailers PS3/360 comparisons have all been BOTCHED

TimPV3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (98%)
Yikes, did not see this coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvdRfUmoqQ&e

[quote name='Techbugtv.com']The above video is a request for gametrailers.com to adjust their PS3 display settings. Assassin's Creed is used as the medium.

The general response about 360/PS3 comparisons is that the PS3 versions always seemed washed out. The video claims that setting the RGB settings to "Full" instead of "Limited" fixes this problem. Apparently Super-white setting should be set to "On" as well.[/QUOTE]

Does this seem like a big deal to anybody else? I'm not trying to start arguments, but think of all the sites that post these comparisons, and now it comes to light that all the videos have been obviously skewed towards the 360 version.

Problem with that is in The Darkness comparison I thought the PS3 version looked better.

EDIT: What the guy does in the video definitely makes a difference though.

[quote name='whoknows']Problem with that is in The Darkness comparison I thought the PS3 version looked better.

EDIT: What the guy does in the video definitely makes a difference though.[/QUOTE]This just seems incredible to me because I'm always getting shit from my buddies for buying a PS3, since they're all graphics whores who have no problems telling me the PS3 version looks washed out. Oblivion was one that looked washed out in the comparison video when it was supposed to be the superior version, and I'm wondering if this will go totally unnoticed, or if GameTrailers will do something about it.

For the past year or so I've been buying 3rd party games on the superior looking system, and seeing how achievements don't matter to me and I've yet to re-subscribe to Live, I'm wondering how many potential purchases (framerate issues aside) could have just been made on the PS3 instead of the 360.

Now that question is... why does the PS3 need this 'adjustment' whereas the 360 does not? Is this adjustment something that deters quality in a majority of displays the reason why it's off by default?:whistle2:k

I have to try this the next time I fire up Ninja Gaiden.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I don't think it's a big deal at all.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I wouldn't call it a big deal either. If Gametrailers really is doing it on purpose it's a shady thing to do, but I personally don't think it's a big deal.

The 360 has a setting like this too, reference levels or something like that? On my VGA it always looks best set to "expanded" which is the darkest.

GameTrailers comparisons have always been botched, but not because of this. Especially when looking at comparisons of games that are 60 fps. They show them in 30 fps.

[quote name='seanr1221']Should you use these settings with HDMI on a LCD?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Though some LCDs might have trouble displaying a decent range of colors with these fancy pants settings enabled but... you've got that Sharp so you should be fine.

This really depends the most on your display.

Setting both of these to "Full" and "On" on my 1080p projector results in no image change. It already looks amazing.

Setting this, then running it on my 46" 1080p Samsung LCD made the picture look *slightly* better.

The expanded setting made a big difference, especially on VGA output, where the blacks tended to be more washed out.

Interesting video.. I will try the settings on my PS3, but I dont know if my TV has Super White output..

[quote name='Vinny']Now that question is... why does the PS3 need this 'adjustment' whereas the 360 does not? Is this adjustment something that deters quality in a majority of displays the reason why it's off by default?:whistle2:k

I have to try this the next time I fire up Ninja Gaiden.[/quote]

It does actually, that was the main reason why the black level options were put in place for the 360 since the VGA interconnect gave a washed out look

If you have your TV calibrated properly, then RGB full and limited doesn't change a thing.
Superwhite only affects output using Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr in fact.
Doesn't affect RGB settings at all.

However they're probably using monitors to capture the video, in which case, yeah, they should be using RGB full as it's made to get all the colorspace of computer-spec displays.

The super white doesn't change anything on mine, nothing that stands out anyway. I have always kept the hdmi thing on full though. Guess I'll leave the super white on though since it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's on or off.

This shouldn't be a big deal unless you blindly believe gametrailers videos.

Anyone with half a brain will realise you have no idea what settings they're using and that you shouldn't believe everything you see on teh internetz.

EDIT - Most games look basically the same on PS3 and 360 and the sooner fanboy morons accept that the better off we'll all be.

a lot of people take the gametrailers comparisons and use it to say that the 360 version is better than the ps3 version. I don't know about any ps3 conspiracy theories, but I remember during the assassins creed comparison, there was a comparison between the horse back riding, and on the 360 side, they were sprinting, and on the ps3 side, they were just riding regular, giving the illusion that the 360 horseback riding was faster than the ps3 version. Had I not played the game, and could see on the 360 side that someone was pressing the sprint butting, it would have went unnoticed.
Gametrailers, need to be more careful about ensuring their getting the best representation of each game when their doing comparisons, at least to make the comparisons more valid. At least make sure in the comparison screens that you're doing the same exact thing. Then again I don't think gametrailers is taking these comparison screens that seriously.

I don't think it was intentional on GameTrailers part, but who knows? Does it really matter which version looks better? I think at the end of the day, if you own both systems then you're going to get the game on the system you prefer the most. Unless one version has severe performance issues (like slower frame rate and so forth.) At least that's how I go about things.

The lack of any outrage and abundance of apathy over this matter in the thread says something about PS3.

Nobody really cares.

[quote name='jer7583']The lack of any outrage and abundance of apathy over this matter in the thread says something about PS3.

Nobody really cares.[/quote]I hope it means they've grown up a little on both sides.
The facts are so skewed in this.

9 out of 10 people don't know what these settings do and how to correctly use them on the 360 or PS3.
And this stupid blog/video is just perpetuating more myths about RGB full.

Thanks, I finally tried out Assassin's creed with the new settings, and it was a big improvement for me. I'm almost finished with the game and I hate the fact that I went through most of the game with the wrong settings.

bread's done
Back