Gamfly+Customer Service = Steaming Pile of Rude Crap

variablesunknown

CAGiversary!
I just cancelled my Gamefly trial membership. I have bought many used games from them before and been very happy. Unfotunately this happened: I begin my trial membership and check out PGR3 for the 360. While I am waiting for it to arrive I realize that Gamefly's keep it price is only $38.99 and I also have $5 in Gamefly credit, so I click the keep it tab and they let me know that they are shipping the game case and instructions (not for free for some reason). The game arrives like four days later at the same time as the case and instructions, which was awesome until I tried to play the game and my 360 told me it was unreadable. I cleaned the disc, tried other games, and it was definately a problem with the PGR3 disc Gamefly shipped. I called them up and was told that I would have to ship (my dime) the whole thing, game, box, instructions back to them to inspect and then the would decide if I would be refunded and then I could buy the game again if I wanted. WHAT? I told them I only needed a different disc but it didnt matter and the Customer Service rep proceeded to lecture me about how I wasnt suppossed to pay the keep it price until the game had arrived, so it was actually my fault that this happened. Keep in mind I am using a trial membership that is a marketing tool for gaining new subscribers and this is the way they were treating me. So if I did what they recommended I would end up paying for a month of Gamefly while waiting for their bizarre procedures, therefore negating any savings to me. :bomb: My solution was to go out and buy PGR3 at one costco and the next day return the Gamfly one to another Costco, worked like a charm and I promptly cancelled Gamefly before my trial membership was up. Have any of you fellow CAGs had bad experiences with Gamefly? Tell us about it.

Nope, they have only been awesome to me. Keep in my they only make money if you become a paying customer. Glad to see you passed your problem along to another company that had nothing to do with your problems though.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Nope, they have only been awesome to me. Keep in my they only make money if you become a paying customer. Glad to see you passed your problem along to another company that had nothing to do with your problems though.[/QUOTE]

No shit, think about their shareholders and the CEO. He probably won't be able to put those gold faucets in his 17th bathroom until next month because of you.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Nope, they have only been awesome to me. Keep in my they only make money if you become a paying customer. Glad to see you passed your problem along to another company that had nothing to do with your problems though.[/QUOTE]

Costco will probably just send the game back to the publisher for full credit, so its a moot point.

[quote name='Roufuss']Costco will probably just send the game back to the publisher for full credit, so its a moot point.[/QUOTE]

You know this as fact? Or just guessing?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']You know this as fact? Or just guessing?[/QUOTE]

I assume since the Gamefly copy was open, he told Costco it was defective when he returned it, so Costco, in turn, refunded him his money and will likely ship the game back to the publisher / manufactuer and get credited for the defective game.

This is how it worked at most retail jobs I've worked at, when games have come back defective... kind of weird for Costco to give a full refund on an opened media product though.

Its shifty, but nobody is really getting hurt in this situation, since he bought it straight from the store and returned (technically) the same thing. Its not like hes pulling a wal-mart scam.

Edit: Not going to argue with the "moral police" of CAG, so I'm done with this thread. Isn't there a copied coupon somewhere you should be attacking?

[quote name='Demontooth']No shit, think about their shareholders and the CEO. He probably won't be able to put those gold faucets in his 17th bathroom until next month because of you.[/QUOTE]

You think stuff like that comes out of their pocket? No way, it comes out of the low man on the totem pole. The store makes less money by having high shrink or "devo", it hurts the employees at that actual store by getting fewer hours, lower raises, and eventually replaced if it gets bad enough.

[quote name='Roufuss']I assume since the Gamefly copy was open, he told Costco it was defective when he returned it, so Costco, in turn, refunded him his money and will likely ship the game back to the publisher / manufactuer and get credited for the defective game.

This is how it worked at most retail jobs I've worked at, when games have come back defective... kind of weird for Costco to give a full refund on an opened media product though.

Its shifty, but nobody is really getting hurt in this situation.[/QUOTE]

Not even MS? Or the Designers? Or the Press that makes the discs? No loss whatsoever? Man, why do we even pay for games in the 1st place?

[quote name='Demontooth']No shit, think about their shareholders and the CEO. He probably won't be able to put those gold faucets in his 17th bathroom until next month because of you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you South Park, for teaching the kiddies on how to pass blame on "The Man" and that its ok to do that. That blissful ignorance and apathy will keep the industries going strong.

Let us not forget, the OP committed illegal fraud when he returned another company's defective product to the secondary party here.

And in doing so procured himself a new copy instead of the used copy he purchased from the first party.. we have theft.

[quote name='Demontooth']He needs to go to jail[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not so sure people need to be defending illegal and rather assholish actions.

I admit that I was, in the literal sense, committing fraud by returning the game to Costco. I cannot defend that action. However, the only voice that a consumer has is their wallet. I did not want to financially support renting games from Gamefly in any way after how I was treated when the disc I rented arrived DOA. We all as CAGs do our best to use information, errors and other anomalies of major retailers to our financial benefit, even though this is the case I try not to abuse any return policy, this case was an exception. I was impatient, wanted a game that worked and was tired of the runaround from Gamefly's customer service. As a used game retailer I find them second to none, but this experience of them refusing to stand by the product they ship and instead blame the customer is an odd business practice for attracting new subscribers to their service. :drool:

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well I'm not so sure people need to be defending illegal and rather assholish actions.[/QUOTE]

He did what he did. I try not to judge people.

WTF, don't come on here with how you defrauded one company in response to another company's poor CS.

If you had any sense you would have left that part out, but you didn't. Don't expect much sympathy.

It is interesting that Costco gives refunds on opened games. They actually have about the best return policy out there as most other stores have been forced to switch up their policies due to just this sort of BS.

[quote name='variablesunknown']I admit that I was, in the literal sense, committing fraud by returning the game to Costco. I cannot defend that action. However, the only voice that a consumer has is their wallet. I did not want to financially support renting games from Gamefly in any way after how I was treated when the disc I rented arrived DOA. We all as CAGs do our best to use information, errors and other anomalies of major retailers to our financial benefit, even though this is the case I try not to abuse any return policy, this case was an exception. I was impatient, wanted a game that worked and was tired of the runaround from Gamefly's customer service. As a used game retailer I find them second to none, but this experience of them refusing to stand by the product they ship and instead blame the customer is an odd business practice for attracting new subscribers to their service. :drool:[/QUOTE]
Well your voice gave your money to gamefly and not to costco.

all i will say is there are some people who work at gamefly that do treat callers like shit, While there are others who will do everything they can and then some to get your problem fixxed..

i have another problem just today come up but since they shipped the games for 99 cents

out so i might just let it slide :)

for those wondering i had a game fast return today BUT they said they refuse to send me out another game since my account will be cancelled on the 14th and i wouldnt get the games by then

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Let us not forget, the OP committed illegal fraud when he returned another company's defective product to the secondary party here.

And in doing so procured himself a new copy instead of the used copy he purchased from the first party.. we have theft.[/QUOTE]

This coming from a guy with a Tony Soprano Icon.

i'm just ignoring the costco point for now and saying that i agree gamefly treats trial customers like ass. When i did my "trial" I got the game in 3 days, send it back 3 days later, and of course, it wasn't checked in until the day after my trial ended, forcing me into a month. 6 days to get back, eh? watta load of crap.

bread's done
Back