Gaming can be considered a frugal hobby right?

I really wonder if there was a time when playing outside was a waste or time, or reading books was a waste of time. I love how certain activities are considered "good" while all others are considered "bad". Honestly, if you play video games and it leads to a lucrative job in the business, how would playing outside for an extra hour a day help your life?

It is definitely not frugal if you buy games and systems at full MSRP without pricedrops. If you wait for the deals on CAG it can be pretty frugal.

I think it can be a frugal form of entertainment if you consider that $11-13 gets you a 90-120 minute movie these days, while the average videogame is 20 to 25 hours and can go as high as 80 or more.

It's frugal if you're a devoted CAG... meaning you won't buy a game unless it's less than $5 regardless of quality.

I think gaming is an extremely cheap hobby, even at MSRP. Think of the alternatives: skiing, boating, re-building cars, golfing, running/biking, camping, etc. You could spend a ton of money on those between traveling and equipment.

Gaming is only really expensive when new consoles come out. I guess some people splurge with home theaters and HDTVs, but those are optional.

[quote name='LunaticPuma']I think gaming is an extremely cheap hobby, even at MSRP. Think of the alternatives: skiing, boating, re-building cars, golfing, running/biking, camping, etc. You could spend a ton of money on those between traveling and equipment.

Gaming is only really expensive when new consoles come out. I guess some people splurge with home theaters and HDTVs, but those are optional.[/quote]I agree, and the poster who responded to you on the craigslist message board was WAY off.

Take golfing for example. One round of golf will cost anywhere from $35 - $300 depending on where I golf. That's $300 for maybe 4-5 hours of entertainment.

A typical game, even at current MSRP of $60, will last me anywhere frmo 6-70 hours of entertainment.

You do the math...

gaming can be frugal if u roll to the arcade and spend only 1 quarter,

coz no one can even fuck wit u or your mad skillz

bread's done
Back