Gaming HDTV

Bohemianlarson

CAGiversary!
Hey Guys I had a couple TVs I was looking at all around 1300 and was just looking for some advice on which one to go with. We have the Panasonic p50g10($1399) which is my leading choice of now but I was also looking at LEDs the LG 42LH90($1319) and the Samsung LN46B650 LCD($1499), or any other suggestions. I was also wondering if you think I should wait on all of them ( I have a 32" 720p LCD as of now) or pick up one of these models, thanks guys!

If those are all retail prices I would not buy any of them. Wait till black friday or check SlickDeals for a good deal on a TV. The first good deal you find on a TV you want is the one you should buy.

Oh and try to buy your TV online, preferably Amazon, that way you don't have to pay for tax or recycle fees.

I would have to recommend Samsung overall then Sony with LG not to far behind.

This could be a good time to grab a display model and get a really good deal because stores are pushing the new stuff for football season. If that is the case I would do my best to find a Samsung LED, last years model, and see if I could swing it into your price range. Don't be afraid to ask for additional discounts when buying open box stuff. These are really nice displays and worth the extra money. Plus they are so thin...

If thats not an option this LG is a nice TV right under your price range.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9317991&type=product&id=1218085600669

WIth the high refresh it would work out really nice for gaming.

Ok, so should I not be looking at plasmas then? And is 240 hz really worth the extra money or no? Lastly how much should I be looking to spend on a 46" LCD or LED TV?

The 24o0Hz isnt worth an extra $500. When I linked that LG it was onsale for 1199. Didnt see the price jump back up, sorry.

46' LCD I think 1200 is a good price and LED between 1400-1500 is a really good price.

OP, I'd go with the Samsung; they make kickass LCD's. My friend has an LG LCD in the 40" range and I was unimpressed.

lilboo, LED's don't offer that big of a picture quality difference over LCD's, but the slimmer profile and less energy consumption (and heating?) are some noteworthy positives. I'd go with a bigger LCD, or wait awhile for LED's to drop in price.

go with plasma. burn in as a nonissue these days as long as you're not abusive with your TV, and you won't have to pay extra money for that extra 120 Hz nonsense. if you go into the store and watch a plasma against one of those 120 displays, the 120 displays always seem to look rather unnatural.

^ What he said. I bought a low tier plasma a few months back and I have been amazed by the picture. I go back to watching my LCD and everything looks soo washed out. The blacks on plasmas are unbelieveable.

Hmm.
I want to get a TV around 46-47 inches..no more than 52. I want full HD. What is my best choice? I am open to plasma or LCD. :whistle2:k

Panasonic plasma all the way. I wish I could still get Pioneer's at a good price. I am pretty convinced I will be able to get a Panasonic 50" plasma for $500 on Black Friday so I refuse buying anything before that. And that assumption is just based on the trend of TV prices and the daily deals found on Slick Deals and other places.

[quote name='Bootleg Zani']Panasonic plasma all the way. I wish I could still get Pioneer's at a good price. I am pretty convinced I will be able to get a Panasonic 50" plasma for $500 on Black Friday so I refuse buying anything before that. And that assumption is just based on the trend of TV prices and the daily deals found on Slick Deals and other places.[/QUOTE]

Panasonic plasmas have a great picture but poor sound quality. Get it if you only have an external sound hookup.
Samsung LCDS are the best overall choice in my opinion. Great picture, More then functional sound.
I cant speak for LG.

Toshiba also makes great LCD. Try this:

40 inch 1080 P $630 shipped : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253198

37 inch 720 P thin line 580 shipped : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253136

I've seen some pretty nice Panasonics but my problem is with burn in if it's a plasma. I know people say it's not an issue anymore, but I'd be using it as a computer screen for my desktop too. The reason is I'd be getting rid of my 28in. monitor. (If I can get rid of it...)

I've heard great things about the Aquos. I believe it even has a game setting in case you run into latency issues.

I'd also throw my support to the Sony Bravia. Mine has been nothing less than amazing. Not sure why they cost so much at Best Buy but they're supposed to be around the same price as other sized LCDs.

ive got the sharp aquos 52 inch. got it at 6th ave on memorial day for 1k. its a older model but it kicks ass. I heard many have run into banding issues but mine is working great. I got the 5 yr warranty as well just in case.

Setting everything up now, actually.
So far seems great. I like the design of it.

I almost want an LED..but I figure in 2 years I'll want something else and LEDs will be cheap too!... :lol:

bread's done
Back