Gaming Headsets? Are they worth it?

iceytoa1

CAGiversary!
I'm looking at maybe getting a gaming Headset for my 360 and was wondering what people think of them, are they great or pointless, is it worth going for a more expensive one or not, which brands/models are best?

Thanks for any help :)

if sound will help your game, they're worth it. you'd be surprised what you've been missing when you put on a good pair of head phones. the x11's are pretty affordable and strudy (Tritton/Madcatz lower end line look cool but they have issues cracking and breaking them duct tape prone), they're also on sale at BB right now for $43.99ish. again, it's the same thing as buying a fight pad, driving wheel, or joystick. If you like it, and it works for you, it's totally worth it. BB also has a booth that you can test some of the turtle beach headsets and hear the difference.

I have a quick question about how these are hooked up.

From what I've gathered you just plug in the optical cable from the 360 to the base of these wireless headsets.

Is their an easy way to have it go both to that and your surround sound receiver and switch between the two?

I'd kind of like some surround sound headphones/headset so I could play stuff louder late at night. But at other times I'd rather just use my regular surround sound set up. And it's too much hassle to dig around behind the TV and move the optical cable around if that's what it takes.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have a quick question about how these are hooked up.

From what I've gathered you just plug in the optical cable from the 360 to the base of these wireless headsets.

Is their an easy way to have it go both to that and your surround sound receiver and switch between the two?

I'd kind of like some surround sound headphones/headset so I could play stuff louder late at night. But at other times I'd rather just use my regular surround sound set up. And it's too much hassle to dig around behind the TV and move the optical cable around if that's what it takes.[/QUOTE]
From what i've seen most have a throughput or an Optical out so you can just plug your surround sound.

[quote name='100xp']if sound will help your game, they're worth it. you'd be surprised what you've been missing when you put on a good pair of head phones. the x11's are pretty affordable and strudy (Tritton/Madcatz lower end line look cool but they have issues cracking and breaking them duct tape prone), they're also on sale at BB right now for $43.99ish. again, it's the same thing as buying a fight pad, driving wheel, or joystick. If you like it, and it works for you, it's totally worth it. BB also has a booth that you can test some of the turtle beach headsets and hear the difference.[/QUOTE]
Funny, GAME have those on sale too, the new low end soon me thinks?
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Probably should have said this at first but what about 2.1/5.1/7.1? Is there much of a difference in quality?
I've had very little experience with them, only used a set of Turtle beach's not sure which though they were Wireless and had a router looking thing? I was quite impressed with the quality and Laglessness.

FWIW, after I bought a gaming headset, the only time I use speakers anymore are for sports games.

Lots of little sounds you might miss on speakers can make a difference once you start hearing them with headphones.

As far as optical, I don't think many, if any, of the console gaming headsets have a optical out in addition to in, meaning you would have to manually move the optical wire from the headset to your receiver and vice-versa. Edit: I just looked, my TB X4's have an optical out, but my Astro A40 setup doesn't. There's probably switchers out there that do it. I know TB's at least have a "splitter" that lets the RCA cables put sound to your tv from your xbox without extra equipment, but nothing along the lines of optical.

5.1/7.1, I cant tell the difference honestly, but they do sound better than 2.1

And again, FWIW, I've owned a pair of X3, X4, and now use the A40 w/Mixamp, so I can give you insight on those if you want.

same, can't really tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1. once you start hearing footsteps and the cling of gun shells behind you you'll appreciate a good headset.

the x11 is wired, all the other models after that are wireless. I opt'd for the x11 because I don't want to deal w/batteries rechargabe or not as well as investing more than I'd like to in a gaming headset.

there's a link on these forums somewhere with a really detailed review on most of the current headsets and the reviewers picks for each console, wired/wireless, etc.

If you can find a headset that isn't poorly made, then yeah they're definitely worth it. Avoid the Turtle Beach px21's, they aren't built to last.

[quote name='100xp']same, can't really tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1. once you start hearing footsteps and the cling of gun shells behind you you'll appreciate a good headset.

the x11 is wired, all the other models after that are wireless. I opt'd for the x11 because I don't want to deal w/batteries rechargabe or not as well as investing more than I'd like to in a gaming headset.

there's a link on these forums somewhere with a really detailed review on most of the current headsets and the reviewers picks for each console, wired/wireless, etc.[/QUOTE]

aren't these all by different people though?

turtle beach just came out with a wireless rechargeable headset, the px3, for an msrp of $150 that might be worth a look.

i remember reading the link which was a link to another site, it was from CAG...I just bought a pair of x11's because it was on sale at BB. (43.99 and take an additional 20% off if you buy a total of 4 accessories, toner, ink, headsets etc. $35 = totally worth it) Plus the headset that came w/my xbox is starting to show its age.

the review was buy this 1 guy, who wrote an incredible review for quite literally 30+ headsets in great detail. I just can't find the link.

A great headset is a great headset but for now if I'm going to spend another $150 on my xbox it'll be a kinect. Why? because the ladies can't get enough of Just Dance.

[quote name='100xp']i remember reading the link which was a link to another site, it was from CAG...I just bought a pair of x11's because it was on sale at BB. (43.99 and take an additional 20% off if you buy a total of 4 accessories, toner, ink, headsets etc. $35 = totally worth it)

the review was buy this 1 guy, who wrote an incredible review for quite literally 30+ headsets in great detail. I just can't find the link.

A great headset is a great headset but for now if I'm going to spend another $150 on my xbox it'll be a kinect. Why? because the ladies can't get enough of Just Dance.[/QUOTE]

oh wow, sounds like a great source. hope he updates his reviews

edit: was the link from cheapy or another member?

[quote name='moojuice']FWIW, after I bought a gaming headset, the only time I use speakers anymore are for sports games.

Lots of little sounds you might miss on speakers can make a difference once you start hearing them with headphones.

As far as optical, I don't think many, if any, of the console gaming headsets have a optical out in addition to in, meaning you would have to manually move the optical wire from the headset to your receiver and vice-versa. Edit: I just looked, my TB X4's have an optical out, but my Astro A40 setup doesn't. There's probably switchers out there that do it. I know TB's at least have a "splitter" that lets the RCA cables put sound to your tv from your xbox without extra equipment, but nothing along the lines of optical.

5.1/7.1, I cant tell the difference honestly, but they do sound better than 2.1

And again, FWIW, I've owned a pair of X3, X4, and now use the A40 w/Mixamp, so I can give you insight on those if you want.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the info and thoughts guys :) at the risk of sounding stupid what does FWIW mean?
And I agree about wires, I either want completely wired or no wires at all, love my Xbox 360 Wireless earpiece.
Medal of Honor for me is the best sounding game (FPS wise lol, Rock Band sounds better :p) on the Xbox, would that be much, much better in 5.1?

fwiw= for what its worth.

the reason you cant tell a difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is because very few games actually use 7.1, most use 5.1

[quote name='yahoosale14']fwiw= for what its worth.

the reason you cant tell a difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is because very few games actually use 7.1, most use 5.1[/QUOTE]
So 5.1 is what you want, but 7.1 surround does that and then some if the some is available so it's a valid choice?

after using DJ headphones i'll never get another headset again. i got a complicated set up were like my tv has a line out to the pc so i can use my pc's sound system while watching cable or xbox and junk. then just use a 9 buck converter from wallmart and hook in the DJ headphones to the pc. works great for lat enight movies too without waking people up hehe.
only issue is it's tough to hear mic talk hearing base and junk but meh :)

For gaming, I can't recommend any. I've tried Tritton, Turtle beach and a couple of others and have had bad experiences with them all. None of them last, they all break or malfunction at one point or another and it's all within 6 months or less of purchase. I guess you get what you pay for, but after paying about $50-$80 for each I still think they should last longer. I'm stuck with the Tritton ax180 headset now, mic won't work so I just use it for surround sound in the late night to not wake up anyone. Which kind of sucks because can't communicate in team based games...so i'll have to use my 360 wireless headset also.

[quote name='intoxicated662']For gaming, I can't recommend any. I've tried Tritton, Turtle beach and a couple of others and have had bad experiences with them all. None of them last, they all break or malfunction at one point or another and it's all within 6 months or less of purchase. I guess you get what you pay for, but after paying about $50-$80 for each I still think they should last longer. I'm stuck with the Tritton ax180 headset now, mic won't work so I just use it for surround sound in the late night to not wake up anyone. Which kind of sucks because can't communicate in team based games...so i'll have to use my 360 wireless headset also.[/QUOTE]
Surely you should complain to someone?

most of the reviews on the lower end trittons have been negative on the durability of the headset itself due to the fact the area that flexes is plastic and has a tendency to crack/break off. everyone else I know that invested in a headset all have turtle beaches from the lowest end to about the $99 pair for 6+ months, so far no complaints.

if that's a big concern you can pay an extra $8.99 - $11.99 for BB's item insurance thing which is good for X years where they'll replace the item with a new one if something were to go wrong. something to consider.

I have the X41's and I'd say it was worth it just off of one game: Alan Wake. The headphones made such a difference in atmosphere. That being said, I've enjoyed it in other games as well as using it for movies. I think it adds to the experience, but that may be an individual thing.

Hmm...I have never used gaming headsets. Been using 2.1 speakers or just regular computer speakers all my life.

I might jump on these, so far avoid buying ones that support 7.1 because I probably won't notice them.

Edit: Just looked on Best Buys website. Wow these things are expensive. I figured $100 was the highest priced, but I was wrong. My budget is $40-60 tops for one of these. Just need something for both my Xbox 360 and PS3, maybe older consoles like PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Hmm...I have never used gaming headsets. Been using 2.1 speakers or just regular computer speakers all my life.

I might jump on these, so far avoid buying ones that support 7.1 because I probably won't notice them.

Edit: Just looked on Best Buys website. Wow these things are expensive. I figured $100 was the highest priced, but I was wrong. My budget is $40-60 tops for one of these. Just need something for both my Xbox 360 and PS3, maybe older consoles like PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.[/QUOTE]
I know, audio in general seems to be a huge business with ridiculous prices!
I think I might go for a set of X11's and kinda whats the word umm use them for a while and see how it goes?
Then if I really like them invest in a better headset or maybe that DX11 thingy?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have a quick question about how these are hooked up.

I'd kind of like some surround sound headphones/headset so I could play stuff louder late at night. But at other times I'd rather just use my regular surround sound set up. And it's too much hassle to dig around behind the TV and move the optical cable around if that's what it takes.[/QUOTE]
I have the sound going to the headphones and the TV. I just turn down the TV volume and use the headphone after the kids go to bed (my game room is right below my daughter's room).

I have the X41s and love them. The only negative I would give them is that the battery will suddenly die without warning. This has happened several times while playing a online shooter and became a quick disadvantage.

[quote name='ufskenney']I have the sound going to the headphones and the TV. I just turn down the TV volume and use the headphone after the kids go to bed (my game room is right below my daughter's room).
[/QUOTE]

I have a 5.1 set up so I don't use the TV speakers at all. I only want to get a headset (or just wireless headphones) if there's a totally seamless way I can use the 5.1 set up most of the time, and the 5.1 headphones when needed, without having to move wires around or mess with a optical cable switcher etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have a 5.1 set up so I don't use the TV speakers at all. I only want to get a headset (or just wireless headphones) if there's a totally seamless way I can use the 5.1 set up most of the time, and the 5.1 headphones when needed, without having to move wires around or mess with a optical cable switcher etc.[/QUOTE]
I think what he meant was that you can have it go to your 5.1 Surround Sound System instead of his Television.

the mic on the TB headsets are pretty good at picking up sound, so it's actually advisable to turn off your tv's volume so everyone else in your party won't hear their tv then your tv a second later through their headset.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Hmm...I have never used gaming headsets. Been using 2.1 speakers or just regular computer speakers all my life.

Edit: Just looked on Best Buys website. Wow these things are expensive. I figured $100 was the highest priced, but I was wrong. My budget is $40-60 tops for one of these. Just need something for both my Xbox 360 and PS3, maybe older consoles like PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

best thing to do is plug your tv into your pc. that way whatever comes out of the tv you can just use your PC's good speakers or headphones to listen to it. just never ever get USB headphones because they dont use your soundcard drivers so it's not only not as good sound quality but if you get an optical line running into your pc then you wont be able to hear the sound via headphones.

btw game informer had an article on headsets. honestly most of em looked like they'd break pretty fast , tho.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have a 5.1 set up so I don't use the TV speakers at all. I only want to get a headset (or just wireless headphones) if there's a totally seamless way I can use the 5.1 set up most of the time, and the 5.1 headphones when needed, without having to move wires around or mess with a optical cable switcher etc.[/QUOTE]
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x41.aspx
Check out the specifications tab, then the details subtab. From there, look at he picture of the main unit, rear view.

One optical is an optical in, and the other is a pass through. In your case, you would connect an optical cable from the 360 to the headset base, then connect another optical to your surround setup. Once you do that, you can leave your surround set up turned off then turn on the headphones, or turn the headphones off and the speaker system on.

[quote name='moojuice']http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x41.aspx
Check out the specifications tab, then the details subtab. From there, look at he picture of the main unit, rear view.

One optical is an optical in, and the other is a pass through. In your case, you would connect an optical cable from the 360 to the headset base, then connect another optical to your surround setup. Once you do that, you can leave your surround set up turned off then turn on the headphones, or turn the headphones off and the speaker system on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Only downside is only one optical input so I couldn't also hook my Blu-ray player and HD-DVR up to it without using some kind of switcher.

I'll have to look at the back of my receiver and see if it has a 5.1 optical out. If so I suppose I could just run that to the base of one of these headsets and turn the speakers off via the toggle on the receiver and then I could easily use the headphones with my 360, Bluray player and HD-DVR.

[quote name='Kevfactor']
btw game informer had an article on headsets. honestly most of em looked like they'd break pretty fast , tho.[/QUOTE]

Do you or anyone still remember which issue of Game Informer had that information? I have been a subcriber for at least a few years now. Thanks ahead.

Quick google search isn't giving me the article. I do remember encountering something like that article, but don't remember which issue of Game Informer it was in.

I have the X41's (upgraded from the X4's) and I think they're great, I use them all the time now after someone complained about the noise coming out of my apartment. Which I suspect was caused by the sub on my cheap 5.1 set-up.

Well worth it IMO.

I have X11s and i think they were totally worth it. I bought it because my old xbox-licensed headset was not very sensitive as far as voice recognition goes. I basically had to talk with a raised voice for it to pick it up. The X11s have no problem; I can literally whisper and it picks my voice up.

As far as audio, i use the headset for mostly shooters, but they will work just as well with racing games, arcade games, etc. I can hear pretty much everything.

Just a note, however, i don't sit that far from my TV, so there used to be a bunch of wires on the floor. For some reason, they got all tangled up, and it was a nuisance to sort it out. Might want to use a twist-tie or something.

Anyway, well worth the $50!

Thanks for all your opinions guys, I can't decide whether to just grab a pair of X11's or wait to see if the WarHead's are good value for money?

I really like the X11's. If you do any chatting they're worth it for the microphone alone. Long gone are the days of having to shout into my garbage MS microphone for people to maybe kinda sorta hear me.

The X11's do produce a constant background hiss. There are some ways to reduce it and it's generally only noticable during silent moments but if that sort of thing bothers you, stear clear.

[quote name='iceytoa1']Thanks for all your opinions guys, I can't decide whether to just grab a pair of X11's or wait to see if the WarHead's are good value for money?[/QUOTE]

warheads and X11 aren't even remotely in the same category. warheads will probably be in the $250-$300 range.

do you have a price range?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Do you or anyone still remember which issue of Game Informer had that information? I have been a subcriber for at least a few years now. Thanks ahead.

Quick google search isn't giving me the article. I do remember encountering something like that article, but don't remember which issue of Game Informer it was in.[/QUOTE]

It's 217 with Shepard on the cover.

pretty much 2 250$ ones are perfect and there is a decent 80$ one from creative thats better rated than a lot of120$ models :)

i still stand by DJ headphones tho hehe

i used to have the DX11, its the X11 turtlebeach headset with the DSS 7.1 sound processor.

it works great and yes i can hear more compared to using the stereo on my TV even when tuned all the way up.

i play mainly bad company 2, and i can hear footsteps and tell which direction my enemies are coming from. i can also hear explosions and tell where it occurs.

you can play more strategically with a gaming headset. but if youre not a hardcore gamer, a gaming headset is still a nice piece of hardware to have because you get to fully experience the audio in every game you play.

i ended up selling my X11 though, and bought a logitech F540 wireless, because wired headsets have long ass wires and they look really ugly. its now hooked up to my DSS :D

The reason why you get the hissing noise in your "wired" headset.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=830516298

Between my buds we all had TB headsets now of varying models, 2 of us are wired the rest are wireless. We only notice the buzz every so often but it's only when the wired users are experiencing the buzz and we only hear it when he/she is having an issue. Once the problem is fixed, it's hiss free gaming the rest of the night.

[quote name='yahoosale14']

the reason you cant tell a difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is because very few games actually use 7.1, most use 5.1[/QUOTE]
optical cable doesnt have the bandwidth to carry 7.1

What I meant earlier was that I might wait and see if the WarHead's are stellar and if they are then i'll wait and get those rather than the X11's.

My original plan was to get a set of X11's then upgrade to the "D"X11's by purchasing that DSS Thingy-ma-bob but the WarHead's just seem so well designed, to me anyway.

bread's done
Back