Gaming laptop under $1000?

Diiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I was initially going to buy this the MSI GX630 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152073) until I read something key in one of the recent reviews from the other day:

Three months ago, this laptop was a great deal, considering that you'd have to pay at least 50% more for a comparable machine. However, not two days after I bought this one, one of the big laptop companies (can't say which one here) released a coupon for $500 off any $1300 purchase, which I could have used to get a 15.4" laptop with a better processor, the same video card, blu-ray, 4 gigs of ram, Vista 64, and a 12 cell battery for $100 more than I paid for this.

I assume he was referring to this deal, which has since expired:

HP Pavilion dv5z AMD ULTRA Dual-Core 2.2GHz 15.4in Laptop (Blu-ray, Radeon HD3650, 12-Cell) $944 w/ Coupon, Feb. 7 10 AM

Deal Expired: HP has the HP Pavilion dv5z AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 15" Notebook Computer for a low $903.99 after STACKABLE Coupon Code: NB4345 (Exp 2/8). Free Shipping. Tax in most.

6.14lbs; 15.4" 1680x1050; AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 Dual Core @ 2.2GHz; 3GB RAM; 250GB HDD; Blu-ray player + DVD burner combo; 802.11b/g; Vista Home Premium; ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB; webcam; 12-cell battery; 1yr warranty

$1443.99 - $500 off Code: NB4345 = $943.99 Free Shipping

CLICK HERE
(1) Click next to Base Configuration - Customize & Buy
(2) Select Processor - AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core ZM-86 @ 2.2GHz (+$150)
(4) Select Memory - FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (+$0)
(5) Select Hard Drive - 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive (+$90)
(6) Select Graphics Card - 512MB ATI Radeon HD 3650 Graphics (+$200)
(7) Select Display - 15.4" High-Definition HP BrightView (1680 x 1050) (+$75)
(8) Select Primary DVD/CD Drive - Blu-Ray ROM (+$150)
(9) Select Battery - 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (+$49)
(10) Click on Review & Buy tab at the top
(11) Click on Add to Cart
(12) Apply $500 off $1399+ HP Coupon
Code: NB4345 at payment screen

Essentially, I am bummed to see now that I could have gotten that excellent HP with many more features for a mere $100 more than the MSI. I will be using this for some gaming for sure, but will be primarily dragging it to school with me and since I am already 3 weeks into the semester, I really need something ASAP (my old laptop from '02 finally crapped out).

The saving grace for the MSI is that I can buy it through Costco, which means 90 days no questions asked if something craps out on it (though I suppose a more dishonest person than myself could also use this window to look for other deals in the meantime @_@).

Any deals that anyone can point me to for something comparable to the MSI, or better yet, the HP for under $1000?

edit: And I should say that I am not planning on playing any brand new FPS or anything, just some FFXI/WoW and some slightly newer RTS'.

Dont know if this will be what you are looking for as these computers might not be powerful enough, but I got two Dell codes for 15% off Studio Laptops. Here are the two codes for anyone who wants to use them as I wont use them:

9DD?Q1Q20WSDVX
J8BG2QHPD6GX0Z

Expires 2/18

Just thought I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread - any specific deals on gaming laptops floating around right now? Definitely has to be under $1k, and naturally the lower the price the better.

Those two laptops already posted are still around $1000 and are still great for gaming. Looking at newegg, hp.com, and dell.com I couldn't see anything under $1000 with as good of graphics cards or processors as those.

[quote name='DrFoo']Those two laptops already posted are still around $1000 and are still great for gaming. Looking at newegg, hp.com, and dell.com I couldn't see anything under $1000 with as good of graphics cards or processors as those.[/QUOTE]

Is one better than the other? Man, 8 years ago I was on top of the latest hardware & really knew what was what. 8 years is a long time - I'm out of the loop. ;)

I really wouldn't recommend laptops for gaming. Many games don't work on laptops. It sucks, but its true. Build a desktop for gaming. Seriously...

[quote name='udabenshen']I really wouldn't recommend laptops for gaming. Many games don't work on laptops. It sucks, but its true. Build a desktop for gaming. Seriously...[/QUOTE]

Well, gaming isn't my primary need for a laptop. And by "gaming", I primarily mean WoW, maybe some of the other Blizzard stuff coming (Starcraft 2, maybe). I know WoW doesn't need much to run - it runs on my current laptop. I just want something that will run it well.

I would also not recommend getting a laptop for gaming, not because games don't work on them but because it's just not a very CAG thing to do.

I'm interested in a gaming laptop because I work a 11pm-7am night shift and can take a laptop with me. It sure makes work go faster when you can play a game for 5 out of the 8 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm if you end up not getting anything here remember for gaming to get an actual card inside of your machine. Also a good battery since games drain those bad boys quickly

Good luck man

[quote name='udabenshen']I really wouldn't recommend laptops for gaming. Many games don't work on laptops. It sucks, but its true. Build a desktop for gaming. Seriously...[/quote]

I'll second this. I have a gaming laptop that is a couple of years old, does decent, but it wasn't worth the money. For the price of a decent machine, buy an XBox and HDTV.

TBW

Guys I think he knows laptops aren't for gaming :p

Sometimes people just wanna do what they love on the go...no matter what the costs ;]

[quote name='argyle']This one looks comparable to the first two mentioned in this thread to me....thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9164343&type=product&id=1218040476937&ref=10&loc=01[/QUOTE]

The video card in that laptop is roughly half as fast as the first two. Depending on what kind of games you are planning to play, it might be enough.

The first two laptops posted are pretty much the same. One has a slightly faster processor and the other has slightly faster ram. I would probably go with the slightly cheaper one since ram speed doesn't usually affect games very much.

I'm also looking for a gaming laptop but I don't want it to be ugly or heavy. The MSI doesn't look bad but I read on a review that the keyboard flexes in the middle. The Asuses seem to be the best bang for the buck and they're apparently known for their reliability. The XPSs don't seem to have that on their side, unfortunately. Anyone got a Newegg coupon?

[quote name='argyle']I ended up going with this one, btw, and I love it. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. :)[/quote]

I've been seriously debating getting this one for a few days now too. I'm also looking to play some older games, maybe WOW. Even some slightly newer stuff on lower settings. This is the best for just under 1000?

[quote name='argyle']I ended up going with this one, btw, and I love it. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. :)[/quote]

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I would jump on that laptop right now, but there is no point in having 2 laptops right now (having a hard time selling my current one)

bread's done
Back