Gaming laptop

mrright4you4now

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Ok so my current laptop is taking a dive in a hurry so I need to replace it. I'm looking for a laptop that I can play starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 when they both come out at least with decent video settings on it. This one I'm running now can only run games on low or very low depending on the game and it makes them look like cartoon characters and really annoys me. I've been looking at a couple laptops but I haven't bought a computer in several years so don't really know a ton about what brands are good at the moment as well as which processors are better then others. The two that I was looking at are:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5270805&CatId=4938

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6241357&Sku=G180-17010

I definitely don't want anything with a screen less then 15" and all the rest of the stuff really just confuses me anymore so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any tips to add in like using ebates and bing if they still even exsist and any others that I might not know of? And if theres a way to use a couple of them not just choosing whichever offers the highest % off. Thanks for all the help ahead of time.

I know you need a laptop but if you really want a great computer for a great price I would suggest a desktop....they have more power and are cheaper than gaming laptops

If you're not adverse to buying refurbished, there's some decent prices on the Asus G series around.

J&R through buy.com has the Asus G71GX-RX05 Refurb for $750 and free shipping.

G72GX-RBBX05 Refurb at Newegg for $755 + $10 shipping. There's also a combo that adds the Iron Man blu for free.

If I were in the market for a gaming laptop, I'd consider these.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not against refurbs at all. A desktop won't work though because then I would need to buy two computers. When looking at all these computers whats the general thoughts of core 2 duo vs i3,5,7 chips. Trying to narrow down what I should be looking at here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrright4you4now']Anyone able to answer the question about the core chips I asked? Thats the toughest problem I'm having trying to make a decision.[/QUOTE]

I think you should get the I7 if your budget permits, but I have a core2 and it's been plenty good for gaming. I would worry more about the video card if you want to do heavy gaming.

[quote name='chickenbutt']How's this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...lack/9748386.p?id=1218166152252&skuId=9748386

Eh. I don't think link is working. Go to best buy's site and search for
Samsung - Laptop with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor - Red/Black[/QUOTE]

The link works but that laptop only has 512mb of video ram. The one I currently have is 256mb and doesnt seem to handle games well at all.Do you think that 512 would be enough?

Also to the person who said go with an I7 I would love to but don't think that my budget would really allow it. However if someone were to say that the difference between an I5 and an I7 is like a cavalier racing a nascar then I would probably put it off for a month and scape together some more cash..who needs to eat right

As much as I would love one of those M17x I don't think I could even come close to affording them. The cheapest one they have is at the absolute most that I could afford for a new laptop

What about this HP? It has a 2.4Ghz i5, 6 gigs of ram and ATI Mobility HD 5650 graphics. The coupon SVMB39487 takes $25 off. Tax and shipping sucks though. Total is around $980

[quote name='docvinh']I saw this on clearance at my Best Buy for 700

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...lack/9556125.p?id=1218124208054&skuId=9556125

The resolution on it kind of sucks, but everything else is solid. However, I would also recommend getting a M15x if you can like Refusedchaos said. I have an M17x and I absolutely love it.[/QUOTE]

That link doesn't work. Whats the model number so I can look it up on their website. Thanks

[quote name='mrright4you4now']That link doesn't work. Whats the model number so I can look it up on their website. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Asus G72GXRF-RBBX05. The HP looks okay for the price.

I would stick in the realm of Alienware or ASUS.

The Alienware m15x and m17x have the best cooling system and have a superb case. Of course this comes at a cost.

With ASUS, you get more bang for your buck, but their computers are kinda cheap and fugly at times.

Damn I thought I had finally found one that had what everyone was suggesting that wasnt an arm and a leg.. Back to the drawing board. The laptop is hardly gonna leave the house so I'm not worried about it being fugly. As long as it works thats all I really care about

[quote name='mrright4you4now']Damn I thought I had finally found one that had what everyone was suggesting that wasnt an arm and a leg.. Back to the drawing board. The laptop is hardly gonna leave the house so I'm not worried about it being fugly. As long as it works thats all I really care about[/QUOTE]

Then look at ASUS

EDIT: also MSI

Hey now I think ASUS designs some very stylish looking notebooks, especially the gaming ones. I think they are also the best bang for your buck, at least the BB versions even if they are stripped down a little.

Obviously you're always gonna have someone suggesting to buy a desktop instead of a gaming laptop in related threads but if you want a laptop I say go for it. I got the Best Buy ASUS G51 model and I love it. I realize it's quite outdated compared to a desktop but it's got plenty of power to run all of today's games and I don't regret the decision of choosing a laptop over a desktop. It's also nice to unplug it and carry it around different areas of the house and less of a hassle if you enjoy LAN parties.

bread's done
Back