Gaming Laptop

Greatwhitecoley

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Want some advice on a decent gaming laptop. I have been looking at possibly picking up an alienware m11x or m14x, especially if I can find it at a good price.

Are there any other good laptops that people can reccommend. I really would rather not pay more than 700 for it. I have never been a big pc gamer, mainly want something a bit updated for D3 as my desktop aging.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Oh come on, I am not talking top of the line everything on max settings. Just something to play D3, SC2, and other games at respectable settings. If I wanted to go with Max setting I would build a desktop, but I don't want that. Just something a bit more portable to break into more PC gaming than I have done in the past year or so.

Well, your definitely not going to get a gaming laptop for under 700. You can get laptops that normal people use for that much. I would recommend going to HP or Dell and configuring your custom lappy and go from there. Make sure to google for coupons as well.
The cheapest alienware starts at like 850, so thats already out of your price range.

You would have to coordinate some coupons, rebates and waiting for the back to school sales to get a gaming rig with your game choices as a minimum for that price or under.

I've noticed the Asus entertainment laptops running in the lower $800 range. They seem to be close to what you're looking for even though it is a little more then you wanted to spend. I heard that toshiba will be releasing a new line of laptops in june with the new ivy bridge processor. I think they said theyll have a $749 starting price for the higher end versions. That's what I'm waiting on. Hopefully Asus will release one not to far behind as I'm really wanting one.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Sometimes the Dell Outlet has good prices on refurb or returned laptops. And they regularly have coupons as well. You could easily get an m11x for under 700 if you keep an eye out for coupons and stock in the outlet.
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/alienware-laptops?~ck=anav[/QUOTE]

Good call I actually got a 1st gen M11x for $600 new before the 2nd gen was even out. Coupons helped me get it cheap.

You should try Ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com for gaming laptops... It won't be 700 but they are the best for gaming laptops/desktops...

[quote name='H4Y4TO']You should try Ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com for gaming laptops... It won't be 700 but they are the best for gaming laptops/desktops...[/QUOTE]

WTF? The best gaming laptops....seriously? Nothing personal, but wow.

Do some research on the forums at http://www.notebookreview.com/. The guys there can point you to the best bang for the buck...and they will recommend the best "gaming" laptop for $700.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']a gaming laptop for under 700? Nope[/QUOTE]
Yes, there are cheap gaming laptops for 700 and under. Maybe not considered hardcore, high end gaming, but there are laptops with decently powered discrete gpu's at this price point. Case in point, AMD's A6/A8 APU's. Not the best gpu cores, but more than enough power to play D3, SC2, Dirt2/3 and batman games at 720p on medium to high settings.

Honestly, the best low budget gaming laptop is probably going to be from Asus. I have a cheapo $400 AMD a6 15" laptop with the 6720g2 xfire that plays almost all modern games with ease. It's impressive in the fact that I can play quite a few games on high settings at 40-50fps @ 720p for over 3 hours on the battery.

While the Alienware m11x r1 was a decent portable gaming laptop (and the first), its also pretty damn thick and heavy; a bit dated compared to stuff that's out now in the price point in terms of cpu and gpu power. Specially when the A6/A8's hit the market right around when r2 was released. The GT 335M found on the r1 and r2 is slower than the 6520 in the A6/A8 apu's, while the newer 540M is faster; the r3 also starts at $1k. Also, they come with non-user replaceable batteries, just to note.

[quote name='H4Y4TO']You should try Ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com for gaming laptops... It won't be 700 but they are the best for gaming laptops/desktops...[/QUOTE]
lol... cyberpower is crap and Ibuypower actually builds their laptop from barebones. The three best gaming laptop companies is Sager notebooks, AVA direct and OriginPC; most of which are based on the Clevo notebook chassis', but they are quite a bit expensive. You can get a fully featured gaming laptop with the 6990m for $1500ish from sager or ava.

Here ya go http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...x?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2201&fid=2149

I say get a Dell xps 15, on the outlet store they're going for about ~800 ish and I'm sure there are some coupons floating around. Check Dealzon.com in their laptop area for that.

I have a Dell XPS 15z from outlet with a 20% coupon and got a $1400 build for about $900 after the coupon and outlet savings. Personally I love it. It's has the portability of a Mac Book Pro but with better performance.

If you get an XPS 15 just make sure to get the one with a 540m 2gb ram. They are bulkier than the 15z but must cheaper in price. I have the 525m 2gb and overclocked to so it's basically a 555m (cause its almost the same chip but at different clock speeds). I get great performance out of it am able to run most games at medium-high settings. Just my two cents, don't want to argue with anyone here. Also check out notebookreview.com forums, they can give you some good advice like someone here mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JBaz']Say what now? radeon nvidia? ... someone using the superglue two products into one again?[/QUOTE]

Lol, fixed my post for ya. I used to have an ati radeon, so used to referring my graphics card as that.

WTF is this bullshit!? Dell/Alienware discontinued the M11x? Screw that noise. Because Dell thinks people want full-sized keyboards (understandable here) and optical drives (in 2012 WTF? Even my gaming desktop doesn't have an optical drive) on their laptops?

As an Apple user, the little M11x was pretty much the one windows laptop I would have considered getting, just to tool around with- take to a friend's house or on vacation to slip a little gaming in or something. It was the only truly unique product in the Alienware lineup- and from what I gather, most everyone loved the thing! Even if it was not the laptop for their needs, nobody could deny the appeal and unique take on the gaming laptop that the M11x was. How could they discontinue the one product they had that actually had some differentiation over their competition?

I know there are some other alternatives coming out (Sager NP6110) but I have to admit that I actually kind of like the Alienware styling. I'm presuming you can turn off some/most of the LED lights, and if you just leave a few of them on it actually looks kinda neat.

^^ They discontinue it because its hard to market such a niche gaming laptop for that high price point now that there options on the market. Personally, I wished they made it thinner and not weigh as much as a 14" laptop considering you can get just as fast 13/14" laptops with discrete video cards for less money.

[quote name='JBaz']lol... cyberpower is crap and Ibuypower actually builds their laptop from barebones. The three best gaming laptop companies is Sager notebooks, AVA direct and OriginPC; most of which are based on the Clevo notebook chassis', but they are quite a bit expensive. You can get a fully featured gaming laptop with the 6990m for $1500ish from sager or ava.[/QUOTE]

I bought laptop for Ibuypower in 2006 had it sent to Iraq and been using it ever since. It still work perfectly to this day... It is able to run any game no problems... The only thing I had done to it was upgrade the hard drive but other then that I had no issues... And last year I bought a Cyberpowerpc desktop and it is running great... I ordered some parts from AZ and Newegg cause they were cheaper... Other then that I can't really complain on Ibuypower or Cyberpower... In my opinion they are both great companies...

[quote name='jmbreci']WTF? The best gaming laptops....seriously? Nothing personal, but wow.

Do some research on the forums at http://www.notebookreview.com/. The guys there can point you to the best bang for the buck...and they will recommend the best "gaming" laptop for $700.[/QUOTE]

Okay, maybe I spoke out of line... They may not be the best out there... But I had no problems with them. They are the best, in my experience and my opinion.

Wait for AMD Trinity laptops. There will definitely be laptops that cost $700 or less that will practically run every newer PC game with detailed settings. They should be released within the next month or so. If you can't wait, then buy any laptop with an A6 or A8 processor, and you still can play most games on medium settings or lower at a 720p resolution.

bread's done
Back