Gaming like a five year old girl

evilpenguin9000

CAGiversary!
My girlfriend has a five year old daughter and her birthday is coming up. She got a DS for Xmas and I'm looking for games that would hold the interest of a five year old girl and not be frustrating for her.

I've looked around and seen the usual sad Barbie and Disney Princess games and am hoping to find a game that doesn't suck ball. I know it's a tall order, but I gotta try. She already has Nintendogs, so that one's out. Sadly.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Can she read? Animal crossing wild world might be an option but I think you need some decent reading skills in order to really play it.

Ruahrc

That Crayola Treasure Adventure game for the DS is really good for kids, featuring a host of coloring pages and a sort of game built in. Hell, IGN highly recommended it for the little ones.

I wouldn't recommend Animal Crossing to a five-year-old. Requires far too much reading.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Get her that Hannah Montana game that actually didn't suck. Then you'll have an excuse to play it.[/quote]

Which one didn't suck?

My 4 year old nephew likes Dora Saves the Mermaids. I'll probably pick it up for my kids when they're a little older, too. Right now all they play is Little Einsteins for GBA as it's very simple. Don't limit yourself to just DS stuff because the system can play GBA and there's just more GBA stuff for kiddies and that stuff can be had for pretty cheap to boot.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Zookeeper would be a great choice also if you could find it. Tetris also.[/quote]

I second Zoo Keeper. Easy and bright.

All good suggestions. My 5 year old daughter just got a DS. I recommend Crayola adventures (Walmart is $10 cheaper than everywhere else), Dora Saves the Mermaids, The new Diego game and Build-a-Bear. You have to sit with them the first time they play Build-a-Bear just so they figure out where everything is, after that they don't need to read. Walmart has a Dora/Diego bundle online for $40. Good Luck!

My 4 year old nephew really likes platformer games, like Donkey Kong Country & Mario.
So i suggest New Super Mario Bros.
The only thing is, every once in a while he will need help getting over a jump or something.

NSMB is way too hard for the average 5-year old (I realize some kids can do it). Kirby might be ok but is still on the difficult side.

The Dora/Diego/Nintendogs recommendations seem about right to me.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Think I'm gonna go with Super Princess Peach, but will keep the rest in mind for the next gift.

I picked up Picross for myself. What a great great game. I was thinking that perhaps my 6 year old son might be able to play the easy levels. What do you guys think? It seems fairly straight forward.

[quote name='Theduck']Princess peach is frustrating and tedius.

Get her Yoshi's island instead.[/QUOTE]

Yoshi's Island would be kinda tough for a young girl I'd think.

I'd say get her Nintendogs. It's simple and pretty fun... of course, she might want a real dog after playing it.

[quote name='sportdan30']I picked up Picross for myself. What a great great game. I was thinking that perhaps my 6 year old son might be able to play the easy levels. What do you guys think? It seems fairly straight forward.[/quote]

My son is 6 and can do the easy levels, he liked it

[quote name='Vinny']Yoshi's Island would be kinda tough for a young girl I'd think. [/quote]
Yeah I doubt she could beat world 5.

my daughter, four, likes cooking mama, sonic rush (?, the first sonic ds game), and she has recently been playing metroid pinball. She also enjoys the New SMB mini games. I think that's all. Oh, yeah, mario kart, but we lost it.

I wouldn't buy super princess peach as my 10 year old cousin completely freaked out when she got this game and screamed and cried and said it was "too hard" and that she couldn't figure it out. Then she threw it down in disgust even after we paid 35$ for it... sigh..

I would go with stuff like the Petz line of games, stuff that doesn't involve actual gameplay because this is what frustrates kids. You need something that has no challenge whatsoever. Purr Pals worked well for my 10 year old cousin, she didn't cry or scream when she put the game in her DS. Some kids have patience to figure stuff out but others do not. My 7 year old cousin beat the whole New Super Mario bros. Drawn to life also works well for kids.

Club House Games-Especially if your going to play with her, multi player requires only one cart. Loads of fun and they learn a lot of the rules of the card games with a lot of help of the game it self. My kids usually ask to play this game.
New super Mario Bros-The mini games are almost worth it
Mario Party
Crayola: Treasure Adventures

I honestly think it depends on how skilled she is at video games. When I was five, I was playing Super Mario World and Batman Forever (even though people says it sucks, I still love it). I recommend Super Princess Peach.

It depends on how skilled she is and how patient she is, is she the type to give up on everything after just one try or does she sit and figure it out without going into a fit of frustration of screaming and crying (this goes for life in general)? There is a huge library of games on the DS that are perfectly appropriate for a 5 year old but whether she will play them or throw them down in disgust because the games are too hard is another matter.

This pretty much goes for all games on all systems, some kids just complain that every game is too hard, because they want everything handed to them and they don't even try, then they throw the game down in disgust, others will keep trying until they beat the level, then they progressively get better and can play more difficult games with ease.

No one recommended Drawn to Life?

The only thing I could think of playing that game was "this would be pretty amazing.... if I were a 5 year old".

Has anyone seen any copies of Zoo Keeper at any of the chain stores? It seems like the only place that carries the game is amazon.com. I'm thinking of buying this game for my 6 year old son as someone said it's a fun puzzle game.

Thanks.

[quote name='sportdan30']Has anyone seen any copies of Zoo Keeper at any of the chain stores? It seems like the only place that carries the game is amazon.com. I'm thinking of buying this game for my 6 year old son as someone said it's a fun puzzle game.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have seen new at Sears. I think the price was $14.99.

bread's done
Back