Gaming lows of 2004

a XL T-shirt that only the most socially dejected would care to wear.

Right, because a black shirt with a small HL2 logo is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tacky.. *cough* it's a cool shirt.

YAY FOR #1!!

1) EA, the Sweatshop Empire
No company has been more successful this year of painting itself as an evil gaming empire. Sports fans who celebrated ESPN Videogames' bargain-priced sports titles were mortified to find that EA signed an exclusivity deal with the NFL, essentially nuking any future hopes for the ESPN NFL series. The power of the internet was unleashed on the publishing giant with the "anonymous wife" blog, which alleged that EA's managers and HR were reincarnated Egyptian slave drivers. And the company gave a troublesome jolt to Ubisoft by abruptly announcing that it took a 20 percent stake in the French publisher--saying it was an "investment." Not to mention shutting down studios in California and Texas, cutting 117 jobs, effectively shutting down Maxis' office and consolidating the studio into EA, trying to acquire Battlefield developer D.I.C.E., and creating drab titles from once-prestigious franchises (Golden Eye, Medal of Honor). All while making more money than all other publishers can hope for.

Alongside SCO and Microsoft, geeks now have found a new giant to shake their digital fists at.

[quote name='smalien1'][quote name='sj41']
Alongside SCO and Microsoft, geeks now have found a new giant to shake their digital fists at.
What's SCO? :?[/quote]

Sony Computer Ontertainment?[/quote]Okay. I didn't even know ontertainment was a word. :wink:

I found number three to be one of the saddest of all.

3) Video Game Mags Up in Smoke
Last year had the fall of Ziff Davis' GameNow--this year saw the fall of GMR, XBN, and our very own Gamestar magazine. Not to mention layoffs seen in countless publications this year. A year where many unique magazines have met their untimely end--may they rest in peace.

[quote name='smalien1'][quote name='sj41']

Sony Computer Ontertainment?[/quote]
Santa Cruz Operation

Its a long story, but basically, there used to be a company called SCO that made a version of UNIX, that was mostly used at places like McDonalds. They changed their name to Tarantella, and sold their UNIX and IP rights to a company called Caldera. Caldera came into existance when a former Novell exec formed the company, bought Dr. Dos from Novell, and sued MS and won for anti competitive behavior against Dr. Dos years ago. Caldera later became a Linux distro, and after buying SCO's properties, changed their name to SCO.

SCO (Caldera) began alleging that Linux stole some of their code (not true) and began sueing IBM, and some companies that use Linux for their business, to try and intimidate them into paying them money. They also manipulated their stock price, so their execs could get out before the shit hit the fan. They're just about on their deathbed now, the lawsuit is about to be laughed out of court, and I imagine that a countersuit by IBM and the affected companies, and their debtors, would fight over the scraps.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='smalien1'][quote name='sj41']

Sony Computer Ontertainment?[/quote]
Santa Cruz Operation

Its a long story, but basically, there used to be a company called SCO that made a version of UNIX, that was mostly used at places like McDonalds. They changed their name to Tarantella, and sold their UNIX and IP rights to a company called Caldera. Caldera came into existance when a former Novell exec formed the company, bought Dr. Dos from Novell, and sued MS and won for anti competitive behavior against Dr. Dos years ago. Caldera later became a Linux distro, and after buying SCO's properties, changed their name to SCO.

SCO (Caldera) began alleging that Linux stole some of their code (not true) and began sueing IBM, and some companies that use Linux for their business, to try and intimidate them into paying them money. They also manipulated their stock price, so their execs could get out before the shit hit the fan. They're just about on their deathbed now, the lawsuit is about to be laughed out of court, and I imagine that a countersuit by IBM and the affected companies, and their debtors, would fight over the scraps.[/quote]

No, no it's definitley Ointertainment

My gaming low of 2004 was probably finding out that Viewtiful Joe was being sent over to the PS2. I really wish Nintendo would try harder to keep some exclusive 3rd party franchises.

[quote name='Scahom1']I agree. Besides Gamestar (which was DOA) I am gonna miss GMR and XBN very much.[/quote]

Gamestar came in a time where there was just a little too much competition to truly make it stand out. That and also that it kind of sucked. It reminded me of that one magazine, Stuff gamer or something like that for some reason. I received GMR with my Edge Card and am sad to see it going under. At first I didn't like XBN too much but I have warmed up to it and the editor's style of writing.

The half-life 2 SE was a HUGE dissapointment for me. Yes, i had another option...but thats still a company saying "F-you" to its supporters.

After PC Acellerator went under, ive never really cared about mags too personally... although XBN was quite amusing.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']My gaming low of 2004 was probably finding out that Viewtiful Joe was being sent over to the PS2. I really wish Nintendo would try harder to keep some exclusive 3rd party franchises.[/quote]

ahhh fanboy

[quote name='Wshakspear']The half-life 2 SE was a HUGE dissapointment for me. Yes, i had another option...but thats still a company saying "F-you" to its supporters.

After PC Acellerator went under, ive never really cared about mags too personally... although XBN was quite amusing.[/quote]

I think the whole difference in quality of packages can be attributed to the whole war between Valve and Vivendi. Buying through Steam, Valve gets more money (no production fees), so they made the package ultra good to get pople to grab it. They made the retail one suck because they don't want Vivendi getting any money. So in the end, the common buyer gets fucked die to the corporate wars.

[quote name='smellhasreturned'][quote name='AdamInPlaidum']My gaming low of 2004 was probably finding out that Viewtiful Joe was being sent over to the PS2. I really wish Nintendo would try harder to keep some exclusive 3rd party franchises.[/quote]

ahhh fanboy[/quote]

I make no effort to hide that Gamecube is my console of choice. I don't think that necessarily makes me a fanboy, though. I believe if I were a fanboy I would have said "OMFG wen they put VjoE on gayass2 that was teh gayzor! capcom iz juzt tryin to fuckzor Nintendo!!1".

i just thought id point out that not every person on the plaent wears an XL shirt! game companies need to realize this and offer diffrent sizes...

my biggest t-shirt dissapointment of 2004 is the $15 gba classic w/mario bros shirt at cc...the shirt was pretty sweet, and if it was half the size i might actully have worn it!!

man, i need a sewing machine

/rant

I've been waiting for the new Duke Nukem.....Forever. Jesus, I didnt know its already 10 years.

Thats sad.

[quote name='punqsux']i just thought id point out that not every person on the plaent wears an XL shirt! game companies need to realize this and offer diffrent sizes...

my biggest t-shirt dissapointment of 2004 is the $15 gba classic w/mario bros shirt at cc...the shirt was pretty sweet, and if it was half the size i might actully have worn it!!

man, i need a sewing machine

/rant[/quote]

The funny thing is those shirts were just Large, not X-Large. And they were STILL too big for most everyone.

bread's done
Back