Gaming PC opinions

ctuck7777

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey everyone,

I've been out of pc gaming for about 10 years. I have a desire to get back into it. In need of a great tower pc. After doing several weeks of online searching for gaming pcs, almost every company has tons of bad reviews and nothing looks reliable. Anyone have recommendations for around the 800 to 1200 dollar range.
I have looked into
Cyberpowerpc
Ibuy power
Alienware
Falcon
Meta something I forgot
Dells which scare the hell out of me
Asus
Lenovo

Anything I am missing. Not interested in personally building my own because I am all thumbs with that stuff

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Highly encourage you to build your own. It takes some research, but making your own rig is a great experience and for what you put into your system price wise gives you your best bang for your buck.

Join us in this thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226363

As from personal experience my reviews with the following:

Cyberpowerpc- Same as Ibuy (overpriced with cheap gaming options)
Ibuy power- Same as Cyber (overpriced with cheap gaming options)
Alienware- Dell's gaming lineup. Not worth the cash ever since Dell bought them.
Falcon- Extremely well made gaming rigs. Expect to drop $3000 minimum, these guys are amazing at what they do.
Meta- Never heard of them.
Dells- See Alienware
Asus- They make great parts to a lot of gaming components. Considered top tier even at their competitive prices. Don't buy their gaming laptop line up unless you like 90 minute battery life.
Lenovo- products are for business, not for gaming.
Digital Storm- Awesome builds, but only worth it if you go after their high tier products. Then again if you have $2000+ to drop, might aswell go with the kings at Falcon.

The way explain it to most is that if you spend $700 on a custom rig, you are getting a bottom of the barrel gaming rig. If you build your own rig for $700 you are getting a mid range $1200-$1400 (depending if you snag some awesome deals) gaming rig. Spending $1400+ on your own rig, expect to have a top of the line PC that will rape any game @ 60 FPS+ with all the fancy gfx things turned on. Just note that these are prices just for your PC, ie the tower. Not including monitor, m+kb, speakers, and etc.

I will second that the best choice is to build your own. Additionally, it's not hard to learn and knowing how to build a PC/being comfortable can be a very useful skill in a job setting too (given how many jobs/careers these days use computers on a regular basis), so the skill extends well beyond gaming.

I will third that the best choice is to build a computer too. It's basically like a huge lego, everything goes in a spot, and it's not that hard. Basically all the parts that you buy come with a whole bunch of instructions to that you can follow too. You will save thousands of dollars too, and you can put what you want into your own computer. Instead of having other companies restrict you to only certain parts.

dells have good warranties. just a bit over priced but something goes wrong with the pc and they'll just replace it. wherever u buy it from make sure it's a legit place with good warranty.
i can understand not wanting to build it, it's a choir and you can put that labor in the hands of someones elses hands for a fee. i'd jjust shop around for the best deal and make sure the place is legit.

not to scare you but i built mine myself and the 1st boot up made all kinds of beeping noises. turned out one of the ram slots was broken and i had to send the damn board back in. for someone that probably has no pc exp, im sure something like this would scare the crap out of em :)

one thing you could look into is to get a barebones system from like tigerdirrect or newegg and then upgrade it a little with a better video, sound cards and maybe a little more ram and hd space too. yes you will still have to put that stuff in but i believe most of the wiring, mobo mounting and junk like that are already done for ya and doing stuff like that is something ya have to get use to while using desktops because new and better video cards come out all the ti me and you never have enough hard drive space ever so you keep having to buy new ones once every 6 months or so. :)

Thank you all very much for the info. I really do appreciate it. I do think I am going to give building a try. I watched a ton of videos from newegg on you tube on how to build. I'm not so freaked out by it. Thanks for the link to the other thread, going to pick out some parts and get feedback from the forum. Again thank you all for the thoughtful answers and effort to help

Alienware makes solid PCs but tend to be slightly more expensive than the equiv Asus. But you'll also get a more streamlined purchase. If you don't want to deal with many questions and options, get an AW. (options, to some people, are not a good thing)

Otherwise Asus is probably one of the dominant players in the industry. If/when I find one in your range I'll post it.

Building has it's own challenges.

bread's done
Back