Gaming Storage - Help?

jaysapathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Alright.

I've got a ton of Genesis/SNES/Saturn/SegaCD/DVDs that I need to store away because I don't have the display room for them. I'm trying to find some sort of storage bucket to keep them in. Problem is, the Rubbermaid ones you find at Shopko/Kmart all have angled sides: ie, the bottom is smaller than the top. Is it possible to find stuff that's more modular? Cubish? With sharp, non-rounded corners so that everything stacks neatly?

Any ideas, help, deal reccomendations appreciated.. Because I have no idea where to go from here. What do you guys use to store your stuff in?

Bankers boxes might work fine. They're cheap and they seem to hold up pretty well so long as you keep them in a place where they won't get wet.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Bankers boxes might work fine. They're cheap and they seem to hold up pretty well so long as you keep them in a place where they won't get wet.[/QUOTE]

I use those, but by far the best (and cheapest) storage I have are the boxes that reams of paper come in.

If you or someone you know works at a place that uses a lot of paper, you can usually get plenty of the empty boxes for free. They're strong and you can stack a lot of them. They're also perfect for DVD-sized cases (you can put two rows side-by-side the length of the box). Downsides are they can't get wet, they're not airtight and they're ugly as sin (i.e. strictly for storage in an attic, etc.).

Ikea is great for storing things out of view/hiding clutter while keeping the box/bin on a bookshelf nearby. I use that sort of stuff to store controllers and such near TVs. But like you figured, jay, that'll be more expensive.

The Really Useful Boxes seem to be more of what I'm looking for -- but holy fuck, $25 a box is a bit much. I'll have to look into it..

I store all of my older games on eBay for 7 days until some sucker takes it off of my hands - and they pay me for it! It's at least something to consider - I mean if you are putting games in storage you will likely never play them again.

I know what you mean about the Rubbermaid containers, they can be a pain sometimes... I was watching some YouTube videos and one person was showing their collection, they use the Rubbermaids that you can put under your bed, for example. He just stores his standing up and they fit pretty well, not perfect, but it does work (here is the video of the NES games, he has some others as well : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHD1Lun01nY&playnext_from=TL&videos=fFI5SQWphL4 ) Personally, I would prefer to store the games in a plastic container, even though they aren't perfectly safe, it is safer than a cardboard box. Also, another suggestion would be to store them in plastic sandwich bags so they have a little more protection and don't age as much.

If you prefer to go a little cheaper, then boxes will probably work the best. When I was moving, I asked Staples for some of their paper boxes. I had some from my own paper and they worked perfect, plus they are pretty sturdy, but I didn't have enough. So I asked them and they gave me a ton (they use a bunch in the copy center and also have several single reams for sale that they take out of the box, so they have a lot) they would store them for me, call me and give me as many as I wanted and/or could fit in the car :D I used them for all my games and electronics and it worked perfectly. So that is probably one of your best options and you shouldn't have any trouble getting them for free... Any office supply store should be willing to do it, you also might want to ask anyone that works in an office, friends, family, etc. maybe even schools and things.

The Ikea ones all have the same problem though. Rounded corners, and they're wider at the top than at the bottom. Really, what I'd go for is a plastic, see thru banker's box shape.. That would be ideal. I want to be able to stack them, but see what's in them. Banker's boxes by themselves just sound like they'd be more trouble than they're worth, and cardboard absorbs water like I've never seen. Not that I'm trying to cut you guys down -- I do appreciate all the suggestions..

I was looking at Sterilite items to see if there are any that would meet your criteria. Target has a large flip-top box for hanging file folders for $9.99, but I'm sure they're smaller at the bottom. I began to realize all the Rubbermaid/Sterilite are probably going to be designed that way so that they "nest" in each other to save space for shipping/retail display.

I understand your desire for plastic. That's definitely better for the reasons you mentioned. I keep my stuff stored in the third floor, so if that floods, I figure I'll have bigger issues to worry about. :)

I suggested Sterilite because I use the Sterilite drawers for another hobby. The sides do not slope, and they have not only boxes but stackable drawers. You won't be able to see what's in them from above but you can open them which is more convenient.

bread's done
Back