Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='J7.']
The thing is when Amazon did this a year ago it was soon after people took advantage of them, then people move on to DealTree same thing happened, now it's happened to Gazelle. It creates an opportunity to find the next great trade site? There's not much left to use, they'll probably have some shitty aspects to them (think of Amz's, DTree's, and GS's shitty aspects), and you gotta create an account and deal with learning all their policies and quirks.[/QUOTE]

Some of us were doing that even while DealTree & Gazelle were goldmines. Someone will eventually stumble across another one of these sites and the sheep will flock.

I'm still sending multiple packages a week to Gazelle, so while it's not as good as it has been in the past there is still something there. I still think that we are seeing a bit of a lull from Gazelle until they release 3.0 and then we might see more competitive TIV's again.

^ Some of us were sent an invite to participate in beta testing of the new Gazelle site. Either the beta testing hasn't started or no one here was selected to actually participate. I've asked them about it and they refer to it as Gazelle 3.0. Gazelle was originally another company so that was probably 1.0 and now we currently have 2.0.

The advertised changes were that it would be easier to find the items that you were looking for and more transparent what the trade prices were (which I think means less/no checkboxes).

[quote name='converse']Some of us were doing that even while DealTree & Gazelle were goldmines. Someone will eventually stumble across another one of these sites and the sheep will flock.

I'm still sending multiple packages a week to Gazelle, so while it's not as good as it has been in the past there is still something there. I still think that we are seeing a bit of a lull from Gazelle until they release 3.0 and then we might see more competitive TIV's again.[/QUOTE]

Doing what? I compare trade-ins to places where you can buy games. There's only so many places to buy games, if stores start closing one after another you're eventually going to have to deal with shopping at those that are still around with the prices they offer. There's far fewer trade-in places so this problem is much worse.

Saying we'll just find another trade-in place instead of addressing the problem with people devaluing trade in offers is not the best attitude to take about this. Kmart is only starting pilot stores, it will be a while before that progresses for one thing and then there's no guarantee they'll have great trade in values.

[quote name='J7.']Doing what? I compare trade-ins to places where you can buy games. There's only so many places to buy games, if stores start closing one after another you're eventually going to have to deal with shopping at those that are still around with the prices they offer. There's far fewer trade-in places so this problem is much worse.

Saying we'll just find another trade-in place instead of addressing the problem with people devaluing trade in offers is not the best attitude to take about this. Kmart is only starting pilot stores, it will be a while before that progresses for one thing and then there's no guarantee they'll have great trade in values.[/QUOTE]
Okay, so you have an ability to impact people devaluing trade-in offers? If that's the case lead the way, because I want to see this!

Seriously though, worrying about how everyone is ruining everything is not a fruitful existence. Enjoy what you've got while you've got it, and if you are smart you won't rely too much on any single source for trading.

Gazelle will always have one thing going for them over all of the other options: cash for games w/o a percentage loss. Amazon is the closest thing to cash after them since just about everybody uses them. If Wal-Mart ever got into the game seriously, they would be right up there.

Gamestop is the next best option because of the whole games for games thing, but their values can be pretty sad w/o a bonus (not named EDGE). Personally, I wouldn't want a Best Buy gift card. There isn't a thing they sell that is remotely close to a price Amazon sells for.

Oh, and I know I'm a broken record, but there is still eBay. There are many games that have higher values on Gazelle, but there are much more that are the other way around. MW2 still sells for $30+.

[quote name='converse']Okay, so you have an ability to impact people devaluing trade-in offers? If that's the case lead the way, because I want to see this!

Seriously though, worrying about how everyone is ruining everything is not a fruitful existence. Enjoy what you've got while you've got it, and if you are smart you won't rely too much on any single source for trading.[/QUOTE]

I would rather try to keep something good than just say "let it be destroyed, there's always something else available" when there is not always something else available that is as good and without more risks and time sunk into it. I get your point but I also believe in my point. I wouldn't want to go through life letting people destroy everything by believing something else will always be there to replace it when there is no guarantee of that.

I don't rely on only Gazelle, but for a while Gazelle was giving me the best values with the least amount of risk and time.

Understandable, but again, what control do you have in the matter? You could relate it to the environment...you don't want the world to go down the tubes so you make your own choices to help prevent that, and you can advocate on that behalf, but you have no control over it so worry about the part you can control (your own actions).

FYI to anybody still using Gazelle:

They are getting to the point where the majority of games follow Amazon pricing. They have been bouncing some games up & down just like Amazon too. It's too bad you can't see their little chart by day instead of by month. There's a handful of games that have changed value 3 times since the beginning of August (NHL 10 for example > 23 > 18 > 14 > 8). Lucky I locked in 5 @ 23. :D

[quote name='idckay']Nice, looks like they've finally updated![/QUOTE]

Holy crap! My test one (Red Dead) didn't pull up Red Dead Revolver anymore!

Only thing I've noticed after some inspection is that new games are very very very low. Kinda like how Amazon always puts new games at low values. So if you want to trade in something really new (i.e. Madden), you're either better off using Amazon, or waiting until they adjust their value.

(Madden is only $23-25, while Amazon is in the mid $30s)

unfortunately it looks like their values are now worse than amazons.

a couple quick looks:

Madden 11: 23 vs 37
NCAA 11: 23 vs 33
SMBWii: 23 vs 28
SMG2: 23 vs 32

Looks like 23 is the new high point for Gazelle.

Sorry to double post, but I had to put this separately.

If you search for something fairly new, like Super Mario Galaxy 2, it comes up low as $23 I think. I love how their chart shows that you would have gotten $32 if you traded it in July. That's just mean.

[quote name='confoosious']unfortunately it looks like their values are now worse than amazons.

a couple quick new releases:

Madden 11: 23 vs 37
NCAA 11: 23 vs 33
SMBWii: 23 vs 28
SMG2: 23 vs 32

Looks like 23 is the new high point for Gazelle.[/QUOTE]

New SMB tanked a month ago. It's been $20-23 since 8/1.

Unless there's a big difference, gazelle is my #1 choice .... the cash option allows me to get in on buy 2 get 1 sales even if there's only 1 game I really want. Essentially, I end up getting that 1 game for free.

Finally! Good thing I hadn't sent out my copy of Splinter Cell Conviction yet (almost finished with it). Will be getting $15.75 Amazon credit through Gazelle as opposed to $14.50 directly through Amazon. Not much of a difference, I know, but every little bit helps lol.

[quote name='JediJames2']Finally! Good thing I hadn't sent out my copy of Splinter Cell Conviction yet (almost finished with it). Will be getting $15.75 Amazon credit through Gazelle as opposed to $14.50 directly through Amazon. Not much of a difference, I know, but every little bit helps lol.[/QUOTE]

Amazon just dropped their TIV for Splinter Cell down to 12.00 LOL

Phew..just locked in at gazelle for 15.

Gazelle's new game prices will always be lower (relative to amazons) because of the price deflation risk inherent in their 30 day trade-in window policy.

These new values suck! I hope they go up sometime this year after people stop using them.

[quote name='converse']Understandable, but again, what control do you have in the matter? You could relate it to the environment...you don't want the world to go down the tubes so you make your own choices to help prevent that, and you can advocate on that behalf, but you have no control over it so worry about the part you can control (your own actions).[/QUOTE]

You can get enough people to disapprove of it and try to inform people that in the long run they're better off not royally abusing the system. I think that is advocating. It's not assured but there's a chance a good thing can be preserved for longer. I think CAGs do that against slickdeals. What it comes down to is we both have a legit point. I think my position requires a lot of people to adopt it for it to work and that is why I push it, but to me it has a more beneficial outcome than to be indifferent about it. I admit it's harder to achieve though.

Anybody ever have this happen? Usually just send out something and forget about it until I'm paid.

UPS Tracking:

ONTARIO, CA, US 08/07/2010 5:05 P.M. AT LOCAL POST OFFICE
US 08/04/2010 3:18 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

USPS Tracking:
Processed through Sort Facility, August 27, 2010, 10:44 am, BELL, CA 90201
Return to Sender / Not Picked Up
Available for Pickup, August 07, 2010, 5:05 pm, CHINO HILLS, CA 91709

Don't get why it left my local post office to another facility.

[quote name='bredbu']bfbc2 trades for 22 @ amazon and like 16 @ gazelle it was 31 @ gazelle last week. And i just noticed you closed the kmart clearence thread IO shows how useless that had become it took almost a month for me to miss it[/QUOTE]
Sorry to quote an almost month old post, but I think the reason that Bad Company 2 tanked in value is largely due to the fact that the Ultimate Edition is coming out(if it hasn't already).

As for other trading alternatives, there's Wherehouse.com, SecondSpin.com, FYE, Play N Trade, eStarland, sellvideogames.com(a side site of BRE Software) and a bunch of others that you can still do mail-in trades to.

Amazon, Best Buy, DealTree and so on are NOT your only options you have.

[quote name='nekromantix']Anybody ever have this happen? Usually just send out something and forget about it until I'm paid.

UPS Tracking:

ONTARIO, CA, US 08/07/2010 5:05 P.M. AT LOCAL POST OFFICE
US 08/04/2010 3:18 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

USPS Tracking:
Processed through Sort Facility, August 27, 2010, 10:44 am, BELL, CA 90201
Return to Sender / Not Picked Up
Available for Pickup, August 07, 2010, 5:05 pm, CHINO HILLS, CA 91709

Don't get why it left my local post office to another facility.[/QUOTE]

@ the local post office on Aug. 7 and was JUST sorted thru a facility on Aug. 27?!?! I'd like to know as well what has the package been doing for 20 days?

I thought we determined the USPS dropoff for these things was not worth it?

I dropped one off at a UPS store on Sept. 1st and that is not even scheduled to arrive till the 10th, but at least it is on its way in the right direction ;). There's no way I'd add the USPS time on top of that.

It's really too bad they can't go back to the USPS priority labels. With those it was 3-4 days from shipment to Paypal payment even across the country. Now I have to wait nearly 2 weeks.

I have a package headed to Amazon (NorAm) as well and that is showing the same estimated delivery (Sept. 10th).

[quote name='io']I thought we determined the USPS dropoff for these things was not worth it?

I dropped one off at a UPS store on Sept. 1st and that is not even scheduled to arrive till the 10th, but at least it is on its way in the right direction ;). There's no way I'd add the USPS time on top of that.

It's really too bad they can't go back to the USPS priority labels. With those it was 3-4 days from shipment to Paypal payment even across the country. Now I have to wait nearly 2 weeks.

I have a package headed to Amazon (NorAm) as well and that is showing the same estimated delivery (Sept. 10th).[/QUOTE]

When I used Gazelle, I always cut off the USPS bar code at the bottom and the part at the top where it says you can use either UPS/USPS. I don't want to give UPS a choice.

That reminds me that I still have about 50 games locked in from old values that need to be sent in. :bouncy:

That's weird, I've had my items sent in 3-4 days before with the new labels, is there a new delivery method in addition to the new labels? But it may be because it was a priority mail boxes that my post office leaves in the lounge for people to use, not sure. I've heard the UPS is always the carrier, but doesn't the USPS sometimes deliver to the packages themselves as well? I may just have to cut off the USPS label as well and forget they even exist along with the UPS since it seems UPS is the only way to go. I've had packages arrive later than the expiration date for the TIV quote and still got the full value.

Well, before the new labels it had nothing to do with UPS - it was all USPS.

Now the labels are these goofy combo dealies that can be dropped off at either the USPS or UPS. But it seems that all USPS does is hold on to them until UPS can pick them up. So you might as well cut out that step and give it to UPS directly.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sorry to quote an almost month old post, but I think the reason that Bad Company 2 tanked in value is largely due to the fact that the Ultimate Edition is coming out(if it hasn't already).

As for other trading alternatives, there's Wherehouse.com, SecondSpin.com, FYE, Play N Trade, eStarland, sellvideogames.com(a side site of BRE Software) and a bunch of others that you can still do mail-in trades to.

Amazon, Best Buy, DealTree and so on are NOT your only options you have.[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting that when I choose cash on Wherehouse and Secondspin, the trade-in value stays the same. I've never thought about the FYE here to trade for cash, but I assume they don't do the same, do they?

How much time does gazelle give you to drop off your items at UPS? I submitted a box last friday and I'm gonna ship it on Tuesday. Just wondering how long I have till the deadline.

[quote name='sotc1988']How much time does gazelle give you to drop off your items at UPS? I submitted a box last friday and I'm gonna ship it on Tuesday. Just wondering how long I have till the deadline.[/QUOTE]

You have 30 days to ship it. I think you'll be fine ;).

[quote name='Interfeci']I find it interesting that when I choose cash on Wherehouse and Secondspin, the trade-in value stays the same. I've never thought about the FYE here to trade for cash, but I assume they don't do the same, do they?[/QUOTE]
Usually the amount you're quoted when they first scan the item IS the cash value. If you take credit they add either 10 or 20%, I forget which.

They were doing a promo at least once a year for a while where if you had a brown paper bag they provided, you would receive I think up to 40% more in trade value if taking credit.

Unfortunately many FYE stores have stopped carrying games in recent years around here. There's only ONE FYE store within a 20 mile radius of here that still takes them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Usually the amount you're quoted when they first scan the item IS the cash value. If you take credit they add either 10 or 20%, I forget which.

They were doing a promo at least once a year for a while where if you had a brown paper bag they provided, you would receive I think up to 40% more in trade value if taking credit.

Unfortunately many FYE stores have stopped carrying games in recent years around here. There's only ONE FYE store within a 20 mile radius of here that still takes them.[/QUOTE]

They never had paper bags here. The workers and managers actually seemed oblivious towards most promotions.

But if their computers first quote it in cash, it's pretty rad. Looks like i'll check in with the one here (I assume they still carry games. Ha.)

Only problem with FYE is that they DO keep most games at MSRP for what seems like forever. So if you took store credit you'd be hard pressed to find anything to get with it.

Gazelle updated there tiv's Alan wake is like 15 and splinter cell is 12 I'm not impressed. Red dead ps3 25 madden 11 ps3 23

[quote name='bredbu']Gazelle updated there tiv's Alan wake is like 15 and splinter cell is 12 I'm not impressed. Red dead ps3 25 madden 11 ps3 23[/QUOTE]

Welcome to 5 days ago. How's the past treating you? :roll:

[quote name='rp71284']Welcome to 5 days ago. How's the past treating you? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Oh I didn't see anyone mention it before I was On vacation for a week

isn't 15 for alan wake pretty decent? its msrp is $39.99 right? it seems with how cheap games have been this year, whether with gaming credit at 59.99 or 40-50 in the first couple weeks and early price drops that it is just not a trader's market.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So ever since the 5 limit went into place, has anyone tried to exceed the limit and send in another order? Will they send it back?[/QUOTE]

It won't let you create additional orders if you already met the limit in the past. If you had created the order prior to the limit of 5 taking place, they still honored it.

[quote name='kataztrophik']It won't let you create additional orders if you already met the limit in the past. If you had created the order prior to the limit of 5 taking place, they still honored it.[/QUOTE]

? I just did it today. Both orders of 5 games were created today and nothing stopped me from getting both labels generated.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']? I just did it today. Both orders of 5 games were created today and nothing stopped me from getting both labels generated.[/QUOTE]

I tried adding more GH5 Wii after they imposed the limit and they cancelled the order stating that I had already met my maximum. Perhaps there's a delay in how they check to see if you hit your limit and by creating 2 orders today, it bypassed it. I'm not sure.

[quote name='kataztrophik']I tried adding more GH5 Wii after they imposed the limit and they cancelled the order stating that I had already met my maximum. Perhaps there's a delay in how they check to see if you hit your limit and by creating 2 orders today, it bypassed it. I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]
Interesting, I'll try to create a second account I guess. Thank you for your help.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Interesting, I'll try to create a second account I guess. Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]

You're not welcome.

Dear Gazelle,

When you drop one console's version of a game by $1, and then increase the other console's version $1, it is fucking annoying! Especially when you did it one day, then reversed it 2 days later.

Thanks.

[quote name='rp71284']Dear Gazelle,

When you drop one console's version of a game by $1, and then increase the other console's version $1, it is fucking annoying! Especially when you did it one day, then reversed it 2 days later.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

you understand they don't do these things manually right?

Gazelle's TIV for :ps3:Bayonetta just went from $9 to $15. Dammit, I knew I should've gotten extras from Blockbuster's B1G1...

Edit: Better hurry and lock those trades in, 'cuz I'm pretty sure this was due to Amazon's Trade-In DotD yesterday. It will probably tank down to $12 or less by tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back