GBA games on DS - Compatibility problems?

modium

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I just got a beautiful DS yesterday with WarioWare and haven't had any problems. But I went to try out the GBA feature and ran into problems. Out of the handful of games I've tried, most of them (Max Payne, Boktai 1) seemed to have a lot of discoloration. It's hard to describe, and especially hard to photograph, so forgive the crappy shots.

Max Payne title screen on DS

Max Payne title screen on SP

Note the red color of the menu text and on the sky behind him.

In-game on the DS

In-game on the SP

I'm not asking anyone to solve the problem, just wondering if this is normal for the DS or not. I'd ask Nintendo, but I'm sure they'd give me the runaround. If not, then I'll go exchange it at CC tonight for another. Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

it looks like it might be something with your specific unit, you should just go return it and grab a new one. gba games look fantastic on mine, much better than the SP

Modium, I dont have those games, but thusfar I have not noticed those problems. Can you list a couple more games you have npticed this issue with and I'll let you know if it's just your handheld or if it's the DS.

thesilentshadow30, it's more than the clarity of the graphics. Just take a look at the color of the floor in the in-game shots, there's definitely a red tint there. Although it may seem like just an effect of photographing the two different types of screen, it's a good representation of the color.

I've been more critical now, and I've noticed some strange red ghosting on both screens during WarioWare as well, so I guess it is a problem with the system itself. I really just thought it was a part of WarioWare because..well, it's a pretty weird game anyway. I'll be exchanging it tonight or tomorrow, and we'll see how the next one is. So thanks for the input, fellas.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, because I've been looking around on different boards and on google and haven't seen anything like this. Figures, just my luck, eh? :p

heh. In case anyone was on the edge of their seats, I just got back from CC and the exchange was a rousing success. I tried it out in the car, to be sure, and it's like night and day. It's so strange to describe, it was like, in some parts of the game, the screens were ghosting one another with a faint red outline, so you'd see whatever was on the top screen outlined in red on the bottom screen and vice versa. I honestly thought it was just the game. :oops: If it's hard to imagine, then think of how the people at CC felt when I tried to explain to them, heh.

So, no more problems with the DS, although I really am curious as to whether anyone else has had this weird problem.

Not a visual problem but I cannot play Jet Grind Radio (GBA) on my DS. The screen lists it as an "option pak" and I cannot select it.

I'll Try Max payne

[quote name='evilmax17']Metal Slug Advance freezes on mine all the time, but that's more of a control issue than a display one.[/QUOTE]

Really? I played Metal Slug Advance a lot lately (although I've moved on to Advance Wars: DS for the moment) and never had it freeze on me...

Hello,

Anyone here have Donkey Kong Country? I notice that with that game in one of the early levels there's this sort of shimmering, tiny horizontal black lines in the background that are generated when I move. It sort of looks like its having redraw problems or some. I have never noticed this in anyother games.

bread's done
Back