GBA Gunstar Super Heroes $9.99 at FYE B&M

damn, just got a copy for 20 elsewhere cause it was the first time i'd seen it in ages. i'd waited so long for it...oh well.

I paid $25 for it... Argh.

Have you ever played a game that's so hard it's not any fun at all? You know, something that Itagaki-san guy (DOA) would enjoy? Gunstar Super Heroes. Stupidly hard in spots. It sure works the hardware though...

Does it have difficulty settings? That must be why I got through it okay (at least I think I did...)

It was okay, but I liked Treasure's Astro Boy a lot better. Actually enjoyed Guardian Heroes Advance more too, though mostly because I like scrolling fighters more than shooters.

This game pretty much already dropped everywhere, so if you really want a copy you should just snag one now. Costco B&M also has it for $13.99 along with Klonoa 2.

It has difficulty settings, and I'm complaining about the lowest one.

The two parts that stick out in my mind:

The helicopter level. Your vehicle controls for bean dip, and the enemies can quickly shoot you while you have a heck of a time dodging. The boss is monster hard too.

The boss on the moon... The one who has what, 900 health when your health is likely to be whittled down after fighting 2 or 3 other bosses right before him. Never mind that his attacks are monstrously hard to dodge.

As a result, most of us will never beat the game. The graphics and such are neat, but it's frustrating.

Still, I'd get it for $10 simply for the collector's value.

[quote name='eastx']I paid $25 for it... Argh.

Have you ever played a game that's so hard it's not any fun at all? You know, something that Itagaki-san guy (DOA) would enjoy? Gunstar Super Heroes. Stupidly hard in spots. It sure works the hardware though...[/QUOTE]Are you kidding me? The game is WAAAAAY too easy. And short.

I still love it, though. A definite purchase. It's just a shame that Astro Boy is the superior product.

[quote name='thebigtripled']Hey what do you know, it was there and it was marked as $9.99. Now if some local place would put Advanced Guardian Heroes on sale I'd be all set.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, Advance Guardian Heroes has been $20 at Gamestop/EB for quite awhile, if you can find it. It's not $10, but it is cheaper than the original price.

Thanks Shiningslade, I just got the last one at my FYE at the Irvine Spectrum in California.

Rozz, when you mean Costco has it for $13.99 you mean it's just Gunstar Super Heroes by itself, right? It's not in a $13.99 double pack with Klonoa 2 is it?

Pojo, no I'm not kidding. I mentioned the 2 especially hard parts, and if you want to tell me they're easy, then I know not to take your opinion on difficulty seriously.

damn my FYE don't have GBA games or any games for that matter :cry: Anywho is it better than advance guardian heros because I have that already and I never really enjoyed it (I did love Gunstar Heros for genesis though). If it drops at GS too, I might pick it up for that price.

Was there a re-release of this game? (or was it ever out of print to begin with?) My store got in 2 copies of the game as well. By the sounds of things, (yes 2 stores) probably everybody got at least 1.

[quote name='eastx']Pojo, no I'm not kidding. I mentioned the 2 especially hard parts, and if you want to tell me they're easy, then I know not to take your opinion on difficulty seriously.[/quote]

allow me to jump in on this one. i own GSH on both the Genesis and the GBA. i've beaten both. the Genesis version is significantly harder, and after whipping that one a few times, i can say with all sincerity, that the GBA version was almost a cakewalk. i can't recall even one portion of the game that gave me pause, in regards to difficulty. so we may just be talking about personal skill levels here.

Just want to say thanks to the OP, I managed to pick up the only copy they had at my FYE :) I also picked up The Suffering: Ties that Bind (used) for XB, $7.99. The first one was there as well, for $9.99, thinking about picking that up as well.

I dunno man... I beat the Genny version with no problem. The boss I'm talking about? You're telling me he's easy? His health is insanely high, your health is probably reduced after fighting several bosses, and he's way hard to dodge. Somehow you just tore through him in only a try or 2 huh?

[quote name='eastx']I dunno man... I beat the Genny version with no problem. The boss I'm talking about? You're telling me he's easy? His health is insanely high, your health is probably reduced after fighting several bosses, and he's way hard to dodge. Somehow you just tore through him in only a try or 2 huh?[/quote]
yeah, but is that so unbelievable? i mean, to be fair, the general consensus, with which i agree, is that the Genesis version is much more difficult than the newly-spun GBA iteration. so, when you say that you "beat the Genny version with no problem", i'm taking you at your word. i accept that you had an easier time completing that version vs. the GBA. my situation is the opposite -- why would that be so difficult to believe? different people negotiate and interpret challenges in games in completely different ways. if we all struggled thru the same games and breezed thru others just as equally, i don't think we'd want to play them. you excel at the Genesis version, whereas i am more proficient at the GBA version. seems reasonable to me.

Then difficulty is relative, and instead of "Easy-Medium-Hard" switches in video games, we should have a continuum slider on about seven or eight dimensions.

That's quite a reasonable thing to say. But you're still not answering my point about that ridiculous boss. >:)

Plus, with the flying level, their shots do fly pretty much straight at you, and saying it's easy to line up your shot without being in line with their shots is a stretch too. I beat the level, but that was just annoying.

Oh, but I didn't mean to imply that the original game is easy. It's challenging, but the only part that even started to seem unfair was Seven Force or whatever his name is. He's a toughie in the sequel too... The sequel just has more of those unbalanced bits IMO.

just started playing it. really not diggin it. it's not very long, and the only time there's much challenge or creativity in the game is in the boss battles. otherwise, it's just kinda...bland.

The Genesis one was more original but this version is still cool in it's own right with a more fleshed out story and more visible characters. It's almost like comparing original Megaman with Megaman X some people dig one, some dig the other some dig both and others dig neither (these are the people that we should bury in a cave... j/k... sorta)

Difficulty wise I find them to have an equal toughness. In the Gen version you had to pick stages in the right order as your health increased as you defeated the stages but the difficulty of the stages also seemed to adjust slightly because as evidenced with Seven Force the longer you took with a boss the harder he got. I'd usually defeat him in 4 forms and sometimes he'd go through all 7, even Bravadoman and Pinky Roader would have good days and bad days taking me out quickly and other times getting owned in 20 seconds. So it really is a personal experience thing.

bread's done
Back