GBA micro price - $100

oleander

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I saw this in the most recent issue of popular science.
It has the GBA micro in the What's New section with a price of $100. While I have no way of knowing whether they actually know or if this is just a placeholder, they actually say "price not set" on one of the other products, implying that they don't just put in placeholders.
This price would not really surprise me. If I'm not mistaken, the SP was this price when it came out also. And if they made it this price, they would not really have to drop the price of the SP.
(sorry if this is a repost - I did a search and looked through the GBA/DS threads and saw nothing)

If this thing hits at $100 it may soon be the next virtual boy. Who in their right mind would pay that much for such a cramped device when they can get a better device (the sp) for cheaper?

[quote name='mtxbass1']If this thing hits at $100 it may soon be the next virtual boy. Who in their right mind would pay that much for such a cramped device when they can get a better device (the sp) for cheaper?[/QUOTE]
You have a very high view of consumers; since when did people buy things because they were actually better? What matters to most people is that they look cool, and IMO the micro looks pretty cool. And besides, the screen may be smaller, but it is better (back-lit rather than front-lit).
I am fairly certain that it will sell very well, even at $100, though it might not be popular among CAGs.

[quote name='oleander']...since when did people buy things because they were actually better? [/QUOTE]

It just seems like Micro is a big step backwards from the SP all-around, especially if it's going to be more expensive to boot. There isn't much decent 1st party software still coming for GBA, so Nintendo has to support the platform with the Micro? Say it isn't so. . . :cry:

[quote name='oleander']You have a very high view of consumers; since when did people buy things because they were actually better? [/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are right, what was I thinking using common sense? How do you explain cars, houses, computers, all forms of electronics, a fine wine, and whatever else gets better or has drastic improvements with age?

Nintendo has hinted that it may be packaged with the Play-yan accessory. If that is the case, the $100 price tag is a lot easier to swallow.

if they design the macro... like a old NES controller...

I'll pay $79.99

or else... I don't wanna waste my time with this...

$100 is way too much. I agree with the others, SP is way better then the Micro. I don't see another purchase being justified. The Micro may look cool, but so does the SP. It's small and has a clamshell design, perfect in my eyes. I think $50-75 would be better for the Mirco seeing how it isn't even current gen anymore. Does backlit compared to frontlit really make that much of a difference?

Wow...I forgot all about this. I'm surprised there has been no announcement, as I presume Nintendo will want to get this out for the Holiday season (even if its not a new platform...simply a re-do)

[quote name='tinskat']Nintendo has hinted that it may be packaged with the Play-yan accessory. If that is the case, the $100 price tag is a lot easier to swallow.[/QUOTE]

The only upside to using the Play-Yan with the GBAM is for MP3s. With its ultra-small screen, it will be next to impossible to really enjoy any kind of videos on the Micro.

I would much rather Nintendo start packaging the Play-Yan with the SP.

IT IS NOT GOING TO COST $99.99!!

The DS is now $129.99 ... do you honestly think Nintendo would be stupid to sell the Micro at only $30 below the DS price?

I'm guessing $69.99

I really can't see this selling at $100. Its just too expensive when you see the DS is only $30 more and the SP is $20 cheaper and really doesn't look that much worse than the Micro.

$100 bucks for this is a horrible waste. For $30 more you can get a DS, and for $20 less you can get an SP - both of which have significant advantages over the GBAM.

I doubt this pans out to be true. Nintendo has been bragging on the price point of this device for some time. Then again, Mario Party 5 is still at $49.99...

Yeah, you guys make a good point. Why would anyone buy a GBAM for $100 when you could spend the extra bit of cash to buy the DS that can play GBA games? I just don't think it would be a very good seller.

If Nintendo can keep it in the $50-$60 range, it will work. But if it was priced at $49.99, I would scoop one up right away.

Price revealed: From 1up.com:

The petite handheld has an official price: $99.99. Just to emphasize how small it is, we're posting the specs again: 4 inches wide, 2 inches long and 0.7 inches thin, weighing 2.8 ounces, about the weight of 80 paper clips, with a 2-inch screen that is rather small, but very bright.

And now for the fashion-conscious: the black Micro will come with one of three optional faceplates: "Flame", "Camouflage", or simple sleep silver. The silver Micro has either the "Ammonite", dark swirly blue, "Ladybug", or plain black.

The Micros are shipping September 13 in Japan, September 19 in North America, and November 4 in Europe.

[quote name='flizmo007']Price revealed: From 1up.com:

The petite handheld has an official price: $99.99. Just to emphasize how small it is, we're posting the specs again: 4 inches wide, 2 inches long and 0.7 inches thin, weighing 2.8 ounces, about the weight of 80 paper clips, with a 2-inch screen that is rather small, but very bright.

And now for the fashion-conscious: the black Micro will come with one of three optional faceplates: "Flame", "Camouflage", or simple sleep silver. The silver Micro has either the "Ammonite", dark swirly blue, "Ladybug", or plain black.

The Micros are shipping September 13 in Japan, September 19 in North America, and November 4 in Europe.[/QUOTE]

This is going to be a monstrous flop that will be close the Virtual Boy, Sega CD and Atari Jaguar. I just don't understand what Nintendo is trying to do with this.

Man, first MS with an overpriced 360, now nintendo with the overpriced micro. I can only imagine if nintendo launches the revolution at anything above $299 that it will be endgame for them.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Why would anyone buy a GBAM for $100 when you could spend the extra bit of cash to buy the DS that can play GBA games?[/quote]
Because the Micro is smaller, sleeker, and has customizable faceplates. It's not targeted at people who already own a GBA or a DS. It's meant for the people who haven't bought a GBA yet because they're not "cool".

It's the exact same philosophy as the iPod; it's way more expensive than it should be, but it's more attractive, so people can justify spending the extra cash.

[quote name='rohlfinator']Because the Micro is smaller, sleeker, and has customizable faceplates. It's not targeted at people who already own a GBA or a DS. It's meant for the people who haven't bought a GBA yet because they're not "cool".

It's the exact same philosophy as the iPod; it's way more expensive than it should be, but it's more attractive, so people can justify spending the extra cash.[/QUOTE]

The demographic Nintendo is trying to capture with the GBAM is the exact same one Sony is targeting with the PSP. I don't think Nintendo will win that war with the GBAM.

Well, when you think about it, Nintendo is using pretty much the same technology in the $100 GBAM that it is in the $30 GBA. I seriously doubt the better screen costs that much more to make.

Typical Nintendo Attempt to Milk out one of thier products once again at the retail price. I told them it was a coming, Gameboy EX SP DX. they always leave something out for the next generation to sell at the full price. Funny how they would make the DS almos tthe same price though.

Oh yeah, and Nintendo always makes sure to leave something out on the Newer model that prevents the older model from becoming obsolete until the model that comes out afterwards so that people will need to own both previous generation and the next one in order to have all the features.

[quote name='Zoglog']Oh yeah, and Nintendo always makes sure to leave something out on the Newer model that prevents the older model from becoming obsolete until the model that comes out afterwards so that people will need to own both previous generation and the next one in order to have all the features.[/QUOTE]

They always do this? Refresh my memory.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']The demographic Nintendo is trying to capture with the GBAM is the exact same one Sony is targeting with the PSP. I don't think Nintendo will win that war with the GBAM.[/QUOTE]
They don't need to win. If the GBM takes even a third of the PSP's holiday sales, it will be a success. The GBA line has already "won" against the PSP, unless the PSP sells another 65 million units.

Re: price complaints
If you think it's such a bad deal, just don't buy one. Maybe Nintendo will lower the price. Even if they don't, it's not like the GB Micro will have any effect on the current GBA and DS games anyway. I really don't see what the big problem is.

[quote name='rohlfinator']They don't need to win. If the GBM takes even a third of the PSP's holiday sales, it will be a success. The GBA line has already "won" against the PSP, unless the PSP sells another 65 million units.

Re: price complaints
If you think it's such a bad deal, just don't buy one. Maybe Nintendo will lower the price. Even if they don't, it's not like the GB Micro will have any effect on the current GBA and DS games anyway. I really don't see what the big problem is.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. I don't think the GBAM will take any of the market share away from the PSP.

Why would someone buy a GBAM for $100 when they could buy a PSP that does a dozen more things for about a $100 more? The GBAM is running on old-ass technology that's selling for $30 in the GBA but is priced about three times more.

If the rumors are true about Nintendo packaging the Play-Yan with the GBAM, it will justify the price a bit more, but I still would think it would be way overpriced.

[quote name='rohlfinator']Because the Micro is smaller, sleeker, and has customizable faceplates. It's not targeted at people who already own a GBA or a DS. It's meant for the people who haven't bought a GBA yet because they're not "cool".

It's the exact same philosophy as the iPod; it's way more expensive than it should be, but it's more attractive, so people can justify spending the extra cash.[/QUOTE]

I was about to point this out.

The iPod is doing extremely well for an MP3 player, yet still costs more than a player with much larger capacity and battery life. The way that nintendo is marketting this will alow them to sell it at a steeper price. The amount of variations in faceplates may have a large affect on how well this sells.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Why would someone buy a GBAM for $100 when they could buy a PSP that does a dozen more things for about a $100 more?[/quote]
Because the PSP costs $150 more. You could buy at least five GBA games for that price. And unlike the PSP's library, the GBA actually has more than five good games.
The GBAM is running on old-ass technology that's selling for $30 in the GBA but is priced about three times more.
It's also about 1/3 the size. All technology is more expensive to produce when it's smaller. And the Micro has a backlit screen, which is probably more expensive than any other component of the hardware. Maybe it's not worth $100, but it's certainly more expensive to produce than the SP, and nobody is complaining about that price.

It also comes with three faceplates, which are worth $20 each according to Microsoft! ;)

[quote name='rohlfinator']It's also about 1/3 the size. All technology is more expensive to produce when it's smaller. And the Micro has a backlit screen, which is probably more expensive than any other component of the hardware. Maybe it's not worth $100, but it's certainly more expensive to produce than the SP, and nobody is complaining about that price.

It also comes with three faceplates, which are worth $20 each according to Microsoft! ;)[/QUOTE]

So the PSTwo costs more to manufacture than the original PS2 did? The PSOne cost Sony more to manufacture than the original PS1?

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']Holy crap... it is actually gonna cost $99.99 ... what are you doing Nintendo!?!?!?!![/QUOTE]

Being like themselves =p, They did the same thing with SP launch "whoops we left out the headphone jack" "whoops we didn't let the DS be backwards compatible with multiplayer GBA games or GB color, guess you still need that SP"

typical nintendo rehashing at full price.

[quote name='XBoxHardcore.com']IT IS NOT GOING TO COST $99.99!![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Maverick CRV']I doubt this pans out to be true. Nintendo has been bragging on the price point of this device for some time. Then again, Mario Party 5 is still at $49.99...[/QUOTE]

Boy, were we ever wrong. It really is $99.99. This is a sad, sad day for Nintendo.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']So the PSTwo costs more to manufacture than the original PS2 did? The PSOne cost Sony more to manufacture than the original PS1?[/QUOTE]
No, but they didn't add an expensive new screen.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wow, the 360 price now this... dag.

Well atleast Nintendo has the DS to fall on, MS is just shafting themselves.[/QUOTE]

indeed the 360's price release of 2 units is just so that you can feel like you're getting a bargain when you really are paying 400 for the real UNIT.

$100 might give it that "fashion" appeal (perhaps Paris Hilton will have one with a gold face plate, so all the cool kids will want one).

OTOH, $15 copies of "Kim Possible Does the fucking Dishes" just ain't gonna cut it. You can be a fashion asshole, but you'll still have to go to a dork-ass game store or toy store to buy a game for it. You *do* know what a game is, don't you Mr. corduroy jacket and $100 GBM?

[quote name='Maverick CRV']Boy, were we ever wrong. It really is $99.99. This is a sad, sad day for Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this plus Zelda getting delayed is really stupid/bad.

bread's done
Back