GBASP tops PSP sales in Japan

tinskat

CAGiversary!
http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=956

I am not sure what to make of this. We all know that the DS has been outselling the PSP the last couple months in Japan, but last week the GBASP outsold the PSP by a 1,000 units.

In addition, May sales of the GBASP in the US were reported to be about 225,000 compared to the PSP's 250,000. I guess Nintendo is right stating that they do have 3 pillars.

Sales figures for one week don't mean shit and there are so many factors that can affect it: price cuts, promotions, etc.

[quote name='maxflight']GBASP outsold PSP because of
1. GBA Mushiking: Greatest Champion no Michi - Sega - 208,000 (NEW)

DS outsold PSP because of
2. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training Brain Training for Adults - Nintendo - 32,000 (219,000)

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5217[/QUOTE]
More on that, with emphasis on King of Beetle.

I don't understand how the PS2 is still selling in Japan. Isn't it reaching nearly six years...

I also love how the xbox sold a total of only 184 units.

[quote name='balzak520']I don't understand how the PS2 is still selling in Japan. Isn't it reaching nearly six years...

[quote name='evilmax17']More on that, with emphasis on King of Beetle.[/QUOTE]

Wow! If raising beetles is the next Pokemon in Japan, then the GBASP is going to have a good summer.

[quote name='maxflight']GBASP outsold PSP because of

DS outsold PSP because of
2. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training Brain Training for Adults - Nintendo - 32,000 (219,000)

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5217[/QUOTE]

Well, this only further cements that Nintendo knows what it's doing an in fact does have three pillars of gaming. If their old handheld system can outsell the PSP, which is supposed to take Nintendo's handheld gaming crown, for even a day, it proves that Nintendo can have two handhelds on the market and still be successful.

I know the PSP is in a gaming drought here, but I really don't know for sure in Japan. Whatever the case may be, Sony needs to get it together and get something available that will push systems. I really don't see anything that will do that on the horizon, either.

I want the PSP to succeed and have some great games because the hardware itself is truely awesome. If Sony could only deliver on the content, I'd love to have a PSP again.

[quote name='balzak520']I also love how the xbox sold a total of only 184 units.[/QUOTE]

Love is a pretty strong word. Are you sure you up for this kind of commitment? :D

It all comes down to content. Nintendo is still creating apps that people are buying the systems to play, Sony just hasn't done this with the PSP yet. Full disclosure, I own a SP, DS, and PSP, I have no loyalties to a corporation because I'm not a moron. I like games.

Does that say the DS isn't doing as well as expected though? Obviously the PSP is struggling, but I can't imagine Nintendo would be happy with the previous hardware selling better.

Obviously the PSP is struggling, but I can't imagine Nintendo would be happy with the previous hardware selling better.

Ummm...why the hell not? ;) What could be better than having TWO handhelds selling better than your competitor's bright and shiny product? Nintendo still makes so much cash off of the SP hardware and games, I bet they are jumping for joy. They have exceeded the 5 million install base for the DS internationally and have proven it's not another Virtual Boy. Once stuff like Castlevania, Super Mario DS, etc. starts hitting, I think their momentum is going to continue.

Now don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier than for Sony to start putting out some killer titles for the PSP instead of mostly PS2 (and PS1) ports. I'm not trying to make a blanket statement about all the titles (Lumines is fantastic), I just want more reasons to pick up my PSP.

not surprising--

a $250 system with 10 games and 50 movies

or

an $80 with hundreds of good handheld games

"Ummm...why the hell not? What could be better than having TWO handhelds selling better than your competitor's bright and shiny product? Nintendo still makes so much cash off of the SP hardware and games, I bet they are jumping for joy."

Yeah, you're right. I didn't word that like I wanted to. I know what I'm trying to say, I just can't think of how to word it. :speaktothehand:)

Xbox sells bad in Japan, everyone is like "man, stupid Japan, Xbox is awesome, they don't know what they are missing out on!"

PSP sells bad in Japan, "LOL PSP sucks, Japan hates it, it's doomed to failure!!"

I love how the double standard works.

[quote name='balzak520']I don't understand how the PS2 is still selling in Japan. Isn't it reaching nearly six years...

DS has alot games in listed in the top ten.. Raping the competition even though the PSP can do more things.

[quote name='Roufuss']Xbox sells bad in Japan, everyone is like "man, stupid Japan, Xbox is awesome, they don't know what they are missing out on!"

PSP sells bad in Japan, "LOL PSP sucks, Japan hates it, it's doomed to failure!!"

I love how the double standard works.[/QUOTE]

Though it certainly looks like it will change in the next generation, the Xbox has had mostly games that would appeal to American gamers and not Japanese gamers. There aren't a lot of Japanese games coming to the Xbox. Also, the Xbox is the only American made console on the market.

In contrast, the PSP has mostly (I think?) Japanese developed games, and it is a Japanese product. It does seem surprising that the PSP hasn't caught on like wildfire in Japan, at least to me.

[quote name='epobirs']I can understand someone choosing not to buy a product but hatred? What psychosis prompted this?[/QUOTE]

I lost my left hand to an xbox...:whistle2:(

DAMN YOU XBOX, YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU WAGED BATTLE WITH ME.

[quote name='gamereviewgod']Does that say the DS isn't doing as well as expected though? Obviously the PSP is struggling, but I can't imagine Nintendo would be happy with the previous hardware selling better.[/QUOTE]

the DS sold more than the GBASP according to the charts. it's the number 1 hardware for the week. it just so happens that GBASP also did better than PSP

[quote name='alongx']Though it certainly looks like it will change in the next generation, the Xbox has had mostly games that would appeal to American gamers and not Japanese gamers. There aren't a lot of Japanese games coming to the Xbox. Also, the Xbox is the only American made console on the market.

In contrast, the PSP has mostly (I think?) Japanese developed games, and it is a Japanese product. It does seem surprising that the PSP hasn't caught on like wildfire in Japan, at least to me.[/QUOTE]

People always forget that Japan is an extremely xenophobic and rascist country. If Microsoft completely crushed Sony and Nintendo removing them from the industry (of course it will never happen), I imagine that Japan would sooner give up gaming than start buying whatever Microsoft was selling.

[quote name='Tromack']People always forget that Japan is an extremely xenophobic and rascist country. If Microsoft completely crushed Sony and Nintendo removing them from the industry (of course it will never happen), I imagine that Japan would sooner give up gaming than start buying whatever Microsoft was selling.[/QUOTE]

They often seem more like a country of people who thinks they're better than everyone without knowing they think that. They don't seem to have the blunt form of racism that the west is accustomed to either.

Though I remember reading a bunch of things about people going to japan to work an stuff, some of it I felt was ridiculous. They were saying if you're a woman, you shouldn't freak out if you're groped on a train, another was you should get used to racist comments (particularly if you're black) and learn to ignore them. The thing was, these tend not to be done in the "this is what you're going to have do deal with" way, but in the "this is how japan is, so you shouldn't complain" way.

Though I think nintendo would be very difficult to get rid of for microsoft, though sony is easier. Sony seems like the giant army that once you win enough battles it surrenders and goes away, nintendo seems like the type that will (and sorta already has) run into the woods and continue fighting a guerilla war.

bread's done
Back