GC games, LCD TV, Component/S video Questions

pinkkirby

CAGiversary!
I have recently purchased a LCD TV, I tried with the original AV cable and it really doens't look good at all. My question is:

1. Does any of the GC game support 16:9? It's so distorted, I don't think I can stand the squeezed 16:9 version, but i do not want to play the old 4:3 since i lose a bunch of screen pixels. I think some ps2 games support 16:9? What about gc games?

2. My GC was purchased early this year, there is no component connector. Is S video a significant improvement compare to composite AV connection? I guess what I want to ask is, is S video worth getting at all, or I should find another cube with component input. (maybe swap with my friend's GC..)

3. Anyone knows cheap places to buy cables? I can't believe EB.com doens't even have much selection. I figured they normally would sell tons of diff brand 3rd party ones.

There are no 3rd party Component GC cables. Nintendo brand only.... Also new retail was Nintendo.com only and maybe the world store in New York.

Although Nintendo.com is sold out now the Component cables can be had for about $40 plus shipping on ebay. Or you can import them on say Lik sang or Play Asia....

S video is much better than composit (RF type). 3rd parties did make the S video cable and it can readily be had here at Eb/Gamestop used for around $6 or so.

I noticed a difference when i hooked up my Component cables and my TV was absolute garbage when it came to HD signal. Thats why i took it back and decided on waiting to go HD. I do have HD cables that were used less than 2 hours in my trade list if your interested.

You can swap out the cube. I also think that Nintendo offers a free swap to an HD supporting cube if you call them.

Good luck.

I see, thanks. I just got a component cable for ps2 from Asia trip... 3rd party brand only cost me US $9

I would consider giving nintendo a try to swap it but I doubt they would give me a decent cube right? consider I treated mine really well and it's like brand new. I seriously don't want to send in my good cube for a refurbished one.....

So I take that S video is superior compare to composite, while component quality is better but not by far compare to S video? Maybe i will stick to S video only then...

[quote name='pinkkirby']

So I take that S video is superior compare to composite, while component quality is better but not by far compare to S video? Maybe i will stick to S video only then...[/QUOTE]

Youg got it correctly sir!!

On the swap just call and ask. Nintendo is HEAVY on Customer support/Service... Crap last year I called and got a free replacement part for my 1985 NES. I mean they take care of you.

I am unsure what they send as for replacement. Its a good question. They might provide a warranty or something.

[quote name='Snake2715']Youg got it correctly sir!!

On the swap just call and ask. Nintendo is HEAVY on Customer support/Service... Crap last year I called and got a free replacement part for my 1985 NES. I mean they take care of you.

I am unsure what they send as for replacement. Its a good question. They might provide a warranty or something.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the response! I was hoping someone can answer me before end of the day then i can go do cable shopping after work...:D

A lot to learn after getting a new LCD TV! so exciting.

But without 16:9 games... i hate playing it in 4:3 since large area is chopped.

sigh.

I, too, just got a 16:9 TV recently, and was sad to discover how little support this generation has for native 16:9 and progressive scan.

[quote name='Vegan']I, too, just got a 16:9 TV recently, and was sad to discover how little support this generation has for native 16:9 and progressive scan.[/QUOTE]

In order to support 16:9 do you have to use progressive scan mode (component cable connection)?

[quote name='pinkkirby']1. Does any of the GC game support 16:9? It's so distorted, I don't think I can stand the squeezed 16:9 version, but i do not want to play the old 4:3 since i lose a bunch of screen pixels. I think some ps2 games support 16:9? What about gc games?[/QUOTE]

There are some games, but very few. See http://hdgames.net for a list of games which support 16:9. Also, I believe you will need component cables to take advantage of 16:9 for the games that do support it.

[quote name='chunk']There are some games, but very few. See http://hdgames.net for a list of games which support 16:9. Also, I believe you will need component cables to take advantage of 16:9 for the games that do support it.[/QUOTE]

Nope, 16:9 is a seperate setting from progressive scan. You could be running RF and all the 16:9 options will still work.

[quote name='Fox5']Nope, 16:9 is a seperate setting from progressive scan. You could be running RF and all the 16:9 options will still work.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for the information.

bread's done
Back