gc memory card 1019 deals?

neschamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
My 251 and 59 cards are not spacious enough to hold my various game saves, so I figure its probably time to upgrade. Anybody have any deals on a new 1019 Gamecube memory card? The retail price of $30 is a bit steep.

Why are GCN memory cards so expensive? A 2MB GCN card costs the same as an 8MB PS2 card!

I've just been deleting save of the games I have beaten to make room.

The thing, in my opinion, that makes it even worse is Nintendo's marketing/release schedule of the cards. They come out the gates with the 59 block, which holds barely anything. So people have to buy one or two more of those out of necessity. Then a bit later they release the 251 block card. Most everyone I know with a GC picked one of these up as well. And in the last year (right?) they finally release a large size memory card to pretty much hold every save you will ever have. Its ridiculous the way they string along their supporters sometimes. In a phrase - it is fucking bullshit.

I picked one up at Wal-Mart on clearance for $20. It's not a great deal, but that's about $10 off MSRP, so I got it.

Wal-Mart deals are YMMV to the extreme though, but it might be worth looking into.

[quote name='neschamp']The thing, in my opinion, that makes it even worse is Nintendo's marketing/release schedule of the cards. They come out the gates with the 59 block, which holds barely anything. So people have to buy one or two more of those out of necessity. Then a bit later they release the 251 block card. Most everyone I know with a GC picked one of these up as well. And in the last year (right?) they finally release a large size memory card to pretty much hold every save you will ever have. Its ridiculous the way they string along their supporters sometimes. In a phrase - it is fucking bullshit.[/QUOTE]
So true...it also annoys me how they how they insist on reporting everything in bits, rather than bytes. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any sort of storage that is measured in bits (except by Nintendo), only transfer rates...

[quote name='Alien Spider']I picked one up at Wal-Mart on clearance for $20. It's not a great deal, but that's about $10 off MSRP, so I got it.

Wal-Mart deals are YMMV to the extreme though, but it might be worth looking into.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed one of those too. And two of the gray WaveBirds. One for $10 and one for $25.

Now I just need some cheap Bongos and I'm set. :whistle2:D

So are Wal Mart's Clearancing out the 1019 block memory cards then? If so, I'll take a trip down there and pick up one of those and a Wavebird.

[quote name='neschamp']So are Wal Mart's Clearancing out the 1019 block memory cards then? If so, I'll take a trip down there and pick up one of those and a Wavebird.[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart clearance is pretty much always a YMMV.

What I did was I purchased my 1019 for the regular price, transfered all my old saves to it then traded in my other cards to make some of the money back, its the best advice I can give you. Trust me youll never need those old cards again with a 1019 its nearly impossible too fill.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']What I did was I purchased my 1019 for the regular price, transfered all my old saves to it then traded in my other cards to make some of the money back, its the best advice I can give you. Trust me youll never need those old cards again with a 1019 its nearly impossible too fill.[/QUOTE]

But aren't there a couple games that won't work with a 1019? Animal Crossing, maybe?

When the gcn first came out I got the 30x memory card from interact for about $20-25. Although I think they stopped making them for some reason

[quote name='neschamp']So are Wal Mart's Clearancing out the 1019 block memory cards then? If so, I'll take a trip down there and pick up one of those and a Wavebird.[/QUOTE]

Some Wal-Mart's clearanced out N64 games years ago. Some Wal-Mart's still sell N64 games near full price. I hate Wal-Mart clearances.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Why are GCN memory cards so expensive? A 2MB GCN card costs the same as an 8MB PS2 card!

I've just been deleting save of the games I have beaten to make room.[/QUOTE]
No, GCN memory cards are cheaper than PS2 memory cards now. For official products, Nintendo's 64MB is only $30, comparing to $25 Sony's 8MB.

Two weeks ago, I bought the Gameshark Startup Kit for Gamecube (by Madcatz) at Best buy for $15 each, and each pack comes with a 64MB memory card, a controller, and an external cable. So for 30 bucks, I got 2 controllers, 2 64MB memory cards, and 2 external cables.

1019 is 64MB.
2038 is 128MB -> this one is 30 bucks by Nyko.

Check out your Gamestop. I just bought a preowned 1019 on Saturday for $7.99.

Someone who works there explained to me that they don't have a separate code for the 1019, which is why it's so cheap. Don't know why corporate still haven't caught on to this yet.

I got a 8mb inTec or something GC memory card like a week after GC launch at gamestop. Who cares the name it holds teh saves.

[quote name='VGI-Shinobi']No, GCN memory cards are cheaper than PS2 memory cards now. For official products, Nintendo's 64MB is only $30, comparing to $25 Sony's 8MB.

Two weeks ago, I bought the Gameshark Startup Kit for Gamecube (by Madcatz) at Best buy for $15 each, and each pack comes with a 64MB memory card, a controller, and an external cable. So for 30 bucks, I got 2 controllers, 2 64MB memory cards, and 2 external cables.

1019 is 64MB.
2038 is 128MB -> this one is 30 bucks by Nyko.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly what I was talking about: Nintendo's 1019 is 64 Mb (not MB) = 64 megabits = 8 megabytes = same size as the normal sony ones, which are $10 less.

bread's done
Back