Gears of War disc read error

Waughoo

CAGiversary!
I bought Gears of War from a local Gamecrazy right before they went out of business. The disc itself has very few scratches on it, but it will throw a disc read error right when you try to start a new game. I've tried a couple cleaning methods on the disc, like windex and even the 'toothpaste method' from youtube, which didnt work.

The problem has to be the game and not the xbox because all my other games work fine, some are scratched way worse than Gears of War is. I heard that Gamestop can try to fix the disc, but I was wondering what they charge. I only paid like $8 for the game, so I dunno if its worth having that game fixed or if should I just game another copy. Also I could buy some scratch remover from them and try it, but I also dont know if that will be worth it either.

Any suggestions?

If the scratches are as shallow as you've mentioned and you can access the main menu of the game then if you have the extra HD space I'd suggest installing it then restarting your Xbox. I was able to extend the life of my original (used and scratched as well) copy (severe cracks and scratches including four huge fractures along the inner ring) a few months doing so.

I had this happen, to a brand new game out of the box. It was the 2-disc goty version. I had to pop in disc two for some updates, or connect to live, then the game would work fine; otherwise the 'disc read error' happened more than once. It's not your xbox, or the physical disc.

i had this problem with Gears 2. I was even able to fully install to HD and I still got disc read errors. But then other games started giving me issues, and I decided it was my 360, and Gears 2 was simply the first game I noticed it on.

I've been looking around, and it seems that Gears of War 1 & 2 both have bad disc read problems that the company will not acknowledge. Microsoft gives their usual "Clean the disc, delete save games, remove hard drive" fixes. Of course none of that works in this case. This sucks cause I figured GOW would have been a good time waster while I'm on medical leave. :(

since it so cheap (5$) anyway just dump the game and pick up another copy since its so cheap. Trade in the bad copy ....gamestop and ebgames know how to refurbish, they will fix and resell.

my HD started to go a little awile ago, it (ironically) started with GoW2. Soon it began to creep into other games of mine within a couple of weeks.

You can tell if it's your HD if you remove the HD and try to play the game. Sometimes it can also be the system cache (open memory management, there's is an option to clear the system cache)

Hello, im new :p, about this, go to gamestop and say if they can polish your disk, that worked 4 me with gears of war 2 in another country.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back