gears of war preorder $45.98 shipped @ familyvideo.com

WHAT THE HELL!? Familyvideo is pure crap now. I just got an e-mail saying mine was Backordered and I ORDERED WAY back on October 13.............................................

ordered 10-13. Is now backordered. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! at least its still cheap. I'll just get getting owned online in 2 weeks. make that 2-4 weeks.

[quote name='npe34']ordered 10-13. Is now backordered. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! at least its still cheap. I'll just get getting owned online in 2 weeks. make that 2-4 weeks.[/QUOTE]

yeah don't you love how people who ordered AFTER YOU are getting it shipped already?

DaKrazie1 if you really work for FamilyVideo you better tell them to get thier shit together

Well I just got off the phone with them, They said something happened to thier ordering queue that jacked everything up (whatever). Guy didn't even offer anything (except cancel my order), but I did insist that they upgrade my shipping for free and at least they did that.

LMAO you early buyers got owned !

Just cancel and buy it somewhere else, cheap bastards :)

10/19/2006 Accepted 11/08/2006 Shipped FamilyVideo.com
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 212082
Thank you for ordering from www.familyVideo.com! We just wanted to let you know that the item(s) indicated below have shipped and should be arriving soon.

Thanks again for choosing www.familyVideo.com - we appreciate your business!
Detailed Invoice:
Date Ordered: Thursday the 19th of October, 2006

Products:
1 X Gears of War : Xbox 360 (882224054034) = $49.99
I live in NE, does that have anything to do with it?

Just go out and buy a copy at Wal-mart while you wait for this to ship to you. My Wal-mart had plenty left when I was just there. Once you get your cheap copy from familyvideo.com, just return that copy to Wal-mart (or where ever you purchased the original game, its not limited to Wal-mart), make sure you keep your reciept, and you'll get the full price (and tax) that you paid to get the game.

[quote name='animemaniac14']im fairly certain walmart won't let you return games that have already been opened...or will they?[/QUOTE]
He meant to buy and use Walmart's copy and return FamilyVideo's new and unused copy to Walmart.

[quote name='animemaniac14']im fairly certain walmart won't let you return games that have already been opened...or will they?[/quote]
lol he ment that you buy the game at Walmart play that copy then when you get the copy from Family Video you return that copy to Walmart to get your money back. So in essense you only end up playing the price you got from Family Video without having to wait for them to ship and it getting to you.

I went out and picked the game up today from Best Buy--their normal policy has been extended for any purchases made after Nov 1st, so I have until sometime in January to return the game... I'm sure the familyvideo copy will be here by then :)

Simply amazing game, BTW... I'm not normally one for online deathmatching (I'm a freak, I know), but something about this one really clicked w/ me... I can already feel my GPA coming under fire ;)

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I went out and picked the game up today from Best Buy--they're normal policy has been extended for any purchases made after Nov 1st, so I have until sometime in January to return the game... I'm sure the familyvideo copy will be here by then :)

Simply amazing game, BTW... I'm not normally one for online deathmatching (I'm a freak, I know), but something about this one really clicked w/ me... I can already feel my GPA coming under fire ;)[/QUOTE]

Wait, you can do the same thing with Best Buy you can with Walmart?

[quote name='Silencer']Wait, you can do the same thing with Best Buy you can with Walmart?[/QUOTE]

I think you're confusing two different acts.

First, what I'm doing. I bought a game at Best Buy, paid them my money, took it home, and played it. When I get my copy from familyvideo, I'll stop by BB and return it using the receipt I got for the copy I already opened. Same game, valid receipt, standard return, perfectly legal.

Wal-mart generally takes games w/o a receipt, hence the reason that some people will buy games cheap or flip a game from online to turn it into Wal-mart store credit. However, it should be noted that doing this (deliberately returning a game that you bought elsewhere w/ the intent of having Wal-mart give you credit or a different game) is a legally fraudulent act. Period. You can draw whatever moral distinctions you want, but the fact is that this course of action IS against the law. Will you be prosecuted? Almost certainly no. Does that affect its legality? Absolutely not.

And there ends my law student legal rant ;)

[quote name='eastx']If you don't tell them you got it there, how is it illegal? You can just say it was a gift.[/QUOTE]

Whether you verbalize the falsity or not, you're still guilty of the false representation of fact necessary under consumer fraud statutes. This really should be common sense... Think of it in a different context. You're seventeen and you go to a bar. You ask for an alcoholic drink and the bartender neglects to ask you, much less verify, that you are of legal age to drink. You are served your drink and consume it. Neither the fact that you didn't falsely allege your age nor the bartender's negligence in checking your age has any affect on the illegality of your action.

Similarly, if you return a game and the employee fails to ask you whether you purchased it at their locale and you elect not to mention that detail, it in no way influences the illegality of your fraudulent act. And please, surely you realize that if you deliberately go out of your way to make a false statement ("I got it as a gift") or one constructed to hide the truth ("I got it as a gift," which is true in that your brother ordered it and gave it to you, but false in that your awareness of the deception is still every bit alive) only makes things worse.

To abide by CAG's new-found rules, which attempt to confine moral/legal topics to certain threads, this will be my last post on the matter in this thread. If you have further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I think you're confusing two different acts.

First, what I'm doing. I bought a game at Best Buy, paid them my money, took it home, and played it. When I get my copy from familyvideo, I'll stop by BB and return it using the receipt I got for the copy I already opened. Same game, valid receipt, standard return, perfectly legal.
[/QUOTE]

So you're going to return the opened copy of GoW back to BB? I don't think they take back opened merchandise.

[quote name='Silencer']So you're going to return the opened copy of GoW back to BB? I don't think they take back opened merchandise.[/QUOTE]
Wow. By same game, he means its GoW w/ same barcode, just new sealed game from Famvid.

How long is BB return policy? I was thinking about this, but am looking into the CE @ CC w/ free faceplate and 15% off. MIght still get this, and sell it later.

Are some of you guys really finding that concept as complicated as you seem to be?

Step One - You go to any retail store that has Gears of War for sale, buy it, and play the living crap out of it.

Step Two - Once you receive the game from Family Video, you take the game you JUST got from Family Video to the retail store with the receipt for the game that you opened and played the crap out of to where you purchased GoW from just earlier.

You are returning a sealed game, with a receipt, to get your money back.

what the hell i ordered 10/13 and mine still says pre-booked, not backordered or shipped. Whats the feaking deal, i dont have a lot of respect for a company that cant manage a simple shipping/buying que

[quote name='suMMx']what the hell i ordered 10/13 and mine still says pre-booked, not backordered or shipped. Whats the feaking deal, i dont have a lot of respect for a company that cant manage a simple shipping/buying que[/QUOTE]

welcome to the club of people fucked over.

They didn't even change my status to backordered until I complained. Then i had to call to find out what happened. I also ordered on 10/13. Read my previous posts.

Wal-mart generally takes games w/o a receipt, hence the reason that some people will buy games cheap or flip a game from online to turn it into Wal-mart store credit. However, it should be noted that doing this (deliberately returning a game that you bought elsewhere w/ the intent of having Wal-mart give you credit or a different game) is a legally fraudulent act. Period. You can draw whatever moral distinctions you want, but the fact is that this course of action IS against the law. Will you be prosecuted? Almost certainly no. Does that affect its legality? Absolutely not.

not the easiest thing to prove in court and certainly not worth the cost over a 60 dollar game.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Wow. By same game, he means its GoW w/ same barcode, just new sealed game from Famvid.

How long is BB return policy? I was thinking about this, but am looking into the CE @ CC w/ free faceplate and 15% off. MIght still get this, and sell it later.[/QUOTE]

right, this is what I thought he meant in my original post asking if Best Buy does the same thing as Walmart.

I might actually end up doing the same thing.

For those who are saying it shiped for them, could you also tell us the date you ordered it?

[quote name='Jesu']For those who are saying it shiped for them, could you also tell us the date you ordered it?[/quote]

ordered around 10/12 (had to replace order 10/20), mine shipped today

[quote name='Jesu']For those who are saying it shiped for them, could you also tell us the date you ordered it?[/QUOTE]

date doesn't matter anymore. The Family Video guy I called said their system fucked up or something and pretty much the message is : if it hasn't shipped yet You = backordered... and if you ordered before everyone else, too bad.

It's called return fraud, it's handled by the loss prevention department. However, the only thing they're interested in is people shoplifting from the store and returning without receipt.

You could, however, be arrested, in which case you would sue Wal-Mart for false arrest, as they did not have enough information to arrest you. In which case it's Wal-Mart who is doing the illegal stuff. They'll probably settle it with a nice little gift card.

So legal/non-legal is not so clear cut. Hell, why do you think we have prosecuting and defense lawyers? ;)

I would buy it at best buy and bring it back with the reciept but I'm afraid that FamilyVideo will take to long to send it since so many people here are saying they have it backordered.

[quote name='Jesu']I would buy it at best buy and bring it back with the reciept but I'm afraid that FamilyVideo will take to long to send it since so many people here are saying they have it backordered.[/QUOTE]

if it gets near the end of the return policy simply extend it by buying the game again from best buy and returning that copy with the almost expried return receipt.

[quote name='Downhome']Are some of you guys really finding that concept as complicated as you seem to be?

Step One - You go to any retail store that has Gears of War for sale, buy it, and play the living crap out of it.

Step Two - Once you receive the game from Family Video, you take the game you JUST got from Family Video to the retail store with the receipt for the game that you opened and played the crap out of to where you purchased GoW from just earlier.

You are returning a sealed game, with a receipt, to get your money back.[/QUOTE]

I had to do this and I don't feel there is anything wrong with this. I preordered from BB and now it's backordered. I bought it at walmart last night and I'll return my sealed copy from bb to walmart with the walmart receipt. It's the same exact game.

this is why i decided to just get it at retail for $59.99... gears is the best game ever, it would make me sick to read all the impressions and see my friends playing online and not be able to play for several days... definitely worth the extra 18 bucks

[quote name='PyroGamer']It's called return fraud, it's handled by the loss prevention department. However, the only thing they're interested in is people shoplifting from the store and returning without receipt.

You could, however, be arrested, in which case you would sue Wal-Mart for false arrest, as they did not have enough information to arrest you. In which case it's Wal-Mart who is doing the illegal stuff. They'll probably settle it with a nice little gift card.

So legal/non-legal is not so clear cut. Hell, why do you think we have prosecuting and defense lawyers? ;)[/QUOTE]

Against my better judgment, I've decided to respond anyway... I just feel bad for messing w/ someone's (very nice) thread.

You should probably be aware that the "false arrest" argument is not going to fly--in modern times, the vast majority of jurisdictions have enacted statutes allowing stores to make citizen arrests based upon reasonable concern over illegal actions. Unless Walmart's conduct were to rise to the level of reckless, knowledge, or purpose, you would be completely barred from litigating against them. Hell, if you tried to bring such a suit, they'd probably motion for costs as well as 28 U.S.C. Section 1927 and FRCP 11(c) sanctions (or their state counter-parts) against your attorney because such a claim is so frivolous in light of the previously mentioned statutes.

Free legal advice, gotta love it.

But I did receive the email that my item shipped this morning and I ordered on 10/15. I did however buy the game on Tuesday at GS and am loving every second of it.

Anyone know if this is in-store? Here in WI we have a few of these around. Granted the $5 off first order isn't going to work but its the best price around.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Against my better judgment, I've decided to respond anyway... I just feel bad for messing w/ someone's (very nice) thread.

You should probably be aware that the "false arrest" argument is not going to fly--in modern times, the vast majority of jurisdictions have enacted statutes allowing stores to make citizen arrests based upon reasonable concern over illegal actions. Unless Walmart's conduct were to rise to the level of reckless, knowledge, or purpose, you would be completely barred from litigating against them. Hell, if you tried to bring such a suit, they'd probably motion for costs as well as 28 U.S.C. Section 1927 and FRCP 11(c) sanctions (or their state counter-parts) against your attorney because such a claim is so frivolous in light of the previously mentioned statutes.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. Sorry 'bout that. :D

I preordered on Oct 11th and am backordered. I complained and was given a $2 coupon off my next order. I doubt that I'll ever order from them again, so if anyone wants to try using my coupon code, PM me. The code is good through Dec 15.

[quote name='Santurio']Free legal advice, gotta love it.

[/QUOTE]

People talk about what they know and love. Some people are big into sports, others into health, still others into gaming (as we all are)--I'm a law student, so I rant and rave about that when prompted ;)

Back to the topic at hand: GOW :D

Played for another two hours last night--it really impresses me how much the graphics hold up in the multi-player... recent games (I'm looking at you, GRAW) have taken such a hit in graphics, but GOW really holds up. And in about four hours of online playing, I never had a single match lag on me... I wasn't even that hyped for the game, but it's a truly stellar experience.

[quote name='Diesl']I preordered on Oct 11th and am backordered. I complained and was given a $2 coupon off my next order. I doubt that I'll ever order from them again, so if anyone wants to try using my coupon code, PM me. The code is good through Dec 15.[/QUOTE]

only $2?! what a bunch of bullshit. Call back and demand next day shipping. After all it was those assholes that fucked up our orders. The guy said he'd upgrade my shipping but it hasn't changed shit on the status page.

[quote name='Zoglog']only $2?! what a bunch of bullshit. Call back and demand next day shipping. After all it was those assholes that fucked up our orders. The guy said he'd upgrade my shipping but it hasn't changed shit on the status page.[/QUOTE]

I know it's crap, but I'm thinking that I'll do the get it at Best Buy, return whenever FamilyVideo sends it out. I gave the coupon out to a fellow CAGer, so hopefully he can get some use out of it because I'm through with FamilyVideo.

[quote name='Diesl']I know it's crap, but I'm thinking that I'll do the get it at Best Buy, return whenever FamilyVideo sends it out. I gave the coupon out to a fellow CAGer, so hopefully he can get some use out of it because I'm through with FamilyVideo.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I did the same, I'm just worried the rertards will backorder us till past 30 days (even though they promised me they would ship it out this week).

I mean how the hell do you mess up an ordering queue? Order date + Sku durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............................

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Against my better judgment, I've decided to respond anyway... I just feel bad for messing w/ someone's (very nice) thread.

You should probably be aware that the "false arrest" argument is not going to fly--in modern times, the vast majority of jurisdictions have enacted statutes allowing stores to make citizen arrests based upon reasonable concern over illegal actions. Unless Walmart's conduct were to rise to the level of reckless, knowledge, or purpose, you would be completely barred from litigating against them. Hell, if you tried to bring such a suit, they'd probably motion for costs as well as 28 U.S.C. Section 1927 and FRCP 11(c) sanctions (or their state counter-parts) against your attorney because such a claim is so frivolous in light of the previously mentioned statutes.[/QUOTE]

Somebody is taking Crim and Civ Pro right now ;)

must play gow......argh

arent they out of illinois though? i imagine it wont take too long for me then since I live in wisconsin

i'd do the switcheroo trick but I only have $20. :(

so many bills i had to pay

Like many people, I ordered around 10/14 and am I-Prebooked.

I picked it up at Target last night and am going to return the sealed copy when it comes in the mail. I think Target has a 90 day return policy too.

bread's done
Back