gears of war VS. halo3???

ninjalunchbox79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So who here thinks that GEARS OF WAR , still rules xbox live over HALO3??? After playing H3 for about a week and then going bak to GOW , i'll stick to GOW!!!! I'm sure illl get plent y of flames for this one . . . . . yay!!!:beer:

I was really disappointed by Gears, I didn't really like the gameplay that much, even though I was really excited for it since I love the Unreal Tournament series.
On the other hand I wasn't really that excited for Halo 3 since I felt the other 2 were pretty average shooters, and while Halo 3's single player was disappointing, I'm really having fun with the multiplayer.

See , I really liked H3's single player experince , but the multiplayer is BLAH!!! I'll prob play it every now&then till I deploy . . . . . which is sooner than I hoped for.

Gears do not want, never even finished it outside of co-op once and the multiplayer was a mess.

I'm on my 3rd playthrough of halo 3 and it's the best shooter I've ever played.

[quote name='jer7583']Gears do not want, never even finished it outside of co-op once and the multiplayer was a mess.

I'm on my 3rd playthrough of halo 3 and it's the best shooter I've ever played.[/quote]

Just curious if your fps experience is limited to consoles. Cos I can rattle a dozen pc shooters off the top of my head that I liked more than Halo.

can they be campared though? one is first person shooter while the other one is a third person shooter. They both have their strong points. I prefer pc fps, but right now halo 3 has my attention. gow is still fun, prolyl go back to it when halo 3 gets boring

Gears of War is still great. I enjoyed the multiplayer experience alot at the start till people started abusing certain glitchs. The pistol portion in multiplayer made me only use the pistol and melee exclusively which made it even more fun.

However, in the long run I would have to give the edge to Halo 3 for multiplayer. But no doubt come Gears of War 2 I'll be pre-ordering my copy as I'm sure many other will. The sales for GOW were great. The sales for Halo 3 will be greater though.

Yea, I will also be getting Gears of War 2. The campaign mode was awesome, really set the bar for next gen games. Halo 2 was great online but in Halo 3 they just did the same thing, slowed the gameplay down by making reloading mandatory, and added more weapons. Gears of War multiplayer was great until they started patching it a lot. I played the Call of Duty 4 demo and have to say it's on my to get list.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']can they be campared though? one is first person shooter while the other one is a third person shooter. They both have their strong points. I prefer pc fps, but right now halo 3 has my attention. gow is still fun, prolyl go back to it when halo 3 gets boring[/quote]That was my issue with Gears. The only way to actually kill anything with any sort of precision was to go into the manual aim mode, which essentially made it an FPS that you had to hold a button down to play.

If they wanted to make it an FPS, they should have. If they wanted to make it a TPS, they should've made it reasonable to kill anything without the manual aim.

[quote name='Brak']... or you could just play both.[/QUOTE]

no no no. it must be a dichotomy! always!

[quote name='Puffa469']Just curious if your fps experience is limited to consoles. Cos I can rattle a dozen pc shooters off the top of my head that I liked more than Halo.[/QUOTE]

Please, humor me.

This assumption that PC just automatically wins over console shooters always makes me laugh. They've both got good games, but none with as dynamic and repayable an experience as any Halo game, and none that I've played as much as any of the halo games.

I'd really like to try stalker, though. Unfortunately I gave up on PC gaming back around 2002 when my last computer I bought became unplayable for new games. The price of entry and technical bullshit just turned me off as I had less and less time available to play games at all. I just want a relaxing experience of turn it on, it works, play it. I HATE dealing with technical issues of any sort so PC gaming is not for me.

[quote name='jer7583']This assumption that PC just automatically wins over console shooters always makes me laugh. They've both got good games, but none with as dynamic and repayable an experience as any Halo game, and none that I've played as much as any of the halo games. [/QUOTE]
Are you kidding me? The third party mod community ensures that PC shooters are far more dynamic and have far more replayability than Halo could ever hope to have in the biggest fanboys wet dream. Whole new games have been spawned simply from the ability to modify an existing game like Half-life.

If you enjoy Halo more than any PC shooter that's certainly your right, but I don't think there's too many objective points that console shooters win on.

Hell, I don't even play PC shooters and I know this.

Unfortunately I gave up on PC gaming back around 2002 when my last computer I bought became unplayable for new games. The price of entry and technical bullshit just turned me off as I had less and less time available to play games at all. I just want a relaxing experience of turn it on, it works, play it. I HATE dealing with technical issues of any sort so PC gaming is not for me.
That's the main point that consoles win on, and the reason I'm playing on consoles (not to mention my best PC runs Linux and is only a P4 2.4 w/X800XL). However, if you're the sort of person who is already past that, PC shooters offer a far greater depth and breadth of experience.

Oh from what I hear Stalker's not that great, the PC gamers I work with didn't care for it at all.

[quote name='Damian']Are you kidding me?[/QUOTE]
Enjoy your small, close-minded world.

[quote name='Brak']Enjoy your small, close-minded world.[/QUOTE]
You're an idiot. I just said I was a console gamer and don't even have a PC that can play anything reasonably modern. What the hell is wrong with fanboys? Why is it so hard to see all sides of an issue? Why is it live or die with whatever you happen to choose?

Yeah, and I'm the small minded one. Hypocrite.

Please, dispute my point rationally and I will be more than happy to change my mind if you have a compelling point. Unlike you, I don't really give a crap which one "wins" because I'm happy with my choices.

I work in a small group with two other guys, one is a hard core PC gamer and one is a hard core console gamer and we're all good friends (our boss has both but is only a very casual gamer). They (good naturedly) bicker about which is better all day long. I don't think you can come up with anything I haven't heard before.

The mod community is definately a plus for the PC game market. You get the occasional gem (Counterstrike for instance) but by and large the mods are just buggy and crappy. Maps are unbalanced, guys run out of time before they can finish things, etc.

The PC mod community is a lot of potential energy with a few pulses here and there of kinetic. Consoles, by and large, have neither.

Personally, PC gaming has become completely obsolete to me because of the environment. If I'm gonna game I was to relax on the couch, not sit at a desk like I do for 10 hours out of every day already. And in an apartment, there's not a whole lot of room to make a PC gaming setup work. And in the end, there's just not enough quality, exclusive stuff coming to the PC to justify the cost of a new rig and the setup of a gaming area for it to play.

The only thing that makes Gears better is the fact that they don't have matchmaking. Matchmaking is a joke. Everything else about Halo 3 was better. Halo 3 doens't just have an online mode, it has a community. Hell, even Saints Row had that. Gears was more barebone and just the actual game mechanics were a mess. Some shit in gears was so random, and active = gay.

[quote name='Damian']You're an idiot. I just said I was a console gamer and don't even have a PC that can play anything reasonably modern. What the hell is wrong with fanboys? Why is it so hard to see all sides of an issue? Why is it live or die with whatever you happen to choose?

Yeah, and I'm the small minded one. Hypocrite.

Please, dispute my point rationally and I will be more than happy to change my mind if you have a compelling point. Unlike you, I don't really give a crap which one "wins" because I'm happy with my choices.

I work in a small group with two other guys, one is a hard core PC gamer and one is a hard core console gamer and we're all good friends (our boss has both but is only a very casual gamer). They (good naturedly) bicker about which is better all day long. I don't think you can come up with anything I haven't heard before.[/QUOTE]
Well, I said that you live in a small, close-minded world because you automatically place PC shooters on a higher pedestal than console shooters -- not because you don't play console shooters.

I like how hastily and deeply you delve into the assumption that I meant you didn't play console shooters. And then you go on to assume I'm a hypocrite. Now, that would mean that I'm the pot calling the kettle black, right? ... I'm not automatically placing PC shooters on a higher pedestal. So I can't be a hypocrite in that regard... Hmm. Were you mistakingly calling me a hypocrite in terms of you thinking that I was assuming you don't play console games, and that you were a PC fanboy? Because that doesn't make any sense... I mean, with you assuming I'm a console fanboy and all. That's kind of ironic, actually. Wouldn't that make you the hypocrite? :whistle2:k

Also, you really need to calm the fuck down there, Internet tough guy.

Nice little anecdote, at the end there, by the way.

And you fill in the blanks all you want. My end of this argument was one sentence long, calling you close-minded in the regard that you feel that PC shooters are instantly superior. And you, hypocritically, assume I'm a console fanboy because of this... :lol:

So, as it stands, I'm an idiot for pointing out that automatically dismissing console shooters is close-minded.

Good work, Columbo.

Personally, PC gaming has become completely obsolete to me because of the environment. If I'm gonna game I was to relax on the couch, not sit at a desk like I do for 10 hours out of every day already. And in an apartment, there's not a whole lot of room to make a PC gaming setup work.

nonsense. I live in a studio and have a great gaming set up for my pc and 360. of course, I have to "convert" the place by moving my bed around and grabbing chairs from my kitchen when people are over, but it works.

I agree with your points about mods. The only worthwhile mods are graphical upgrades to games. The Oblivion texture pack is particularly amazing.

[quote name='Brak']So, as it stands, I'm an idiot for pointing out that automatically dismissing console shooters is close-minded.[/QUOTE]
Nope. You're an idiot for making bizarre assumptions that what I said was anything other than a factual rebuttal of the point that console shooters are "more dynamic" than console shooters. If you tried to address anything other than that point, you're going way off base. Your own assumption that I considered PC shooters "on a higher pedestal" demonstrates that. You extrapolated that idea all on your own from a single point I made about mods.

Oh and you're an idiot for using the phrase "internet tough guy" inappropriately.

I'm done. You may have the last word if you choose and I'll even read it, but there's nothing productive left to be said.

[quote name='Damian']Nope. You're an idiot for making bizarre assumptions that what I said was anything other than a factual rebuttal of the point that console shooters are "more dynamic" than console shooters. If you tried to address anything other than that point, you're going way off base. Your own assumption that I considered PC shooters "on a higher pedestal" demonstrates that. You extrapolated that idea all on your own from a single point I made about mods.

Oh and you're an idiot for using the phrase "internet tough guy" inappropriately.

I'm done. You may have the last word if you choose and I'll even read it, but there's nothing productive left to be said.[/QUOTE]

These assumptions are so fuggin' crazy that they're bizarre now!? XTREME.

FWIW (not much), I can't think of a single console-exclusive FPS I've played that I've enjoyed as much as a good PC FPS. The last console exclusive one I played was COD 3, which was pretty bland, so maybe I'm behind, but there's just something missing from them.

[quote name='Damian']console shooters are "more dynamic" than console shooters.[/quote]
:whistle2:k

[quote name='Damian']Oh and you're an idiot for using the phrase "internet tough guy" inappropriately.[/quote]
You're right. "Internet bitchy woman" would have been more fitting... although you forgot the digital z-snap.

[quote name='Damian']I'm done. You may have the last word if you choose and I'll even read it, but there's nothing productive left to be said.[/QUOTE]
Poop.

[quote name='Apossum']nonsense. I live in a studio and have a great gaming set up for my pc and 360. of course, I have to "convert" the place by moving my bed around and grabbing chairs from my kitchen when people are over, but it works.

I agree with your points about mods. The only worthwhile mods are graphical upgrades to games. The Oblivion texture pack is particularly amazing.[/quote]Correction, being married and not wanting to destory out home to play games doesn't work well in an apartment ;)

I liked Gear's single player more. Sure it was short but it was always pretty damn exciting. Halo 3 had some intense parts but it also had a lot of parts that felt tedious.

Another thing to note is that GoW ran flawlessly whereas Halo 3 stuttered, froze, and suffered from slowdown at times. I think GoW also looked better at times but Halo 3's world is so much more lively (the shadows and lighting are amazing!).

But multiplayer, Halo 3's is just plain better. GoW's multiplayer cannot compare.

[quote name='daroga']Correction, being married and not wanting to destory out home to play games doesn't work well in an apartment ;)[/QUOTE]

Good point, this place is usually disorderly, so it looks no different when it's all tore up. :lol:

Meh PC gaming. Can't play Zelda on a PC. Things are going towards having almost everything available on console as well anyway. Both have their plusses and minuses. Just for me, things like cost, longevity, and variety matter more than slightly better controls and usually awful mods.

[quote name='jer7583']Meh PC gaming. Can't play Zelda on a PC. Things are going towards having almost everything available on console as well anyway. Both have their plusses and minuses. Just for me, things like cost, longevity, and variety matter more than slightly better controls and usually awful mods.[/QUOTE]

actually you can play all the Zeldas on PC, minus WW, 4 swords, TP, and now, the Phantom Hourglass. :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']actually you can play all the Zeldas on PC, minus WW, 4 swords, TP, and now, the Phantom Hourglass. :lol:[/quote]I can't imagine that it'll be too long before you can play PH on the PC ;)

[quote name='daroga']I can't imagine that it'll be too long before you can play PH on the PC ;)[/QUOTE]

Or WW (there's a GC emu that runs Double Dash!) well, probably in a year or two for that (and I guess TP GCN by that logic.)

but DS games on the PC? I dunno if that would work all that well...I'm picturing a "virtual stylus" and bottomed out mouse sensitivity.

well im a person that loved FPSs liked Half-Life and i have to say that i was very very disappointed by Halo 3...it boasted so much crap and it was medicore. i liked GoW since the single player was much more exciting and the multiplayer is fun! the only thing i love about Halo 3 is the mode Infection, other than that its borning to me

Let me say this, I was never a fan of Halo. I played Halo 1 when it came out for PC, as I never had an Xbox1 until Halo 2 was released. Halo 1 felt like a clonky port to me (playing the PC version). Though I did enjoy the storyline somewhat as well as the general art design and atmosphere.

Halo 2 was really a letdown for me. I was expecting great things and it didn't deliver. The campaign blew pretty hard. The online was good, but it was kiddy rampant.

Halo 3 has really turned around the entire image of the franchise for me. It still suffers from cheesy dialogue, but where it shines is the multiplayer and the gameplay. The campaign went from awful to being well done and "good" (not great, but still good). The four-player co-op is sick. The vault feature is nasty, and the whole theater thing is so good. All and all, I'd say Halo 3 is one of the best games of the year, maybe even surpassing Bioshock.

Gears on the other hand had a really great storyline, art design, and originality. It's still the best looking game on the system IMHO. But I don't really enjoy the mutliplayer as much. I hate the round based system, as well as the overpowered weapons. The campaign outshines Halo's IMHO, but it lacks 4-player co-op.

Overall, Gears is the more sophisticated game, whereas Halo has absolutely perfected what it's trying to do with Halo 3. Halo 3 won't win any awards for originality, but it's just damn good, and one of the funnest games I've played in a long time.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Gears multi player is a joke.

Halo 3 >> GoW[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ.

First of all if we are going to look at the single player, Gears of War shits all over Halo. Halo is only fun because you are playing with 3 other people, and only because of that. It is generic, and is so much like the first Halo that it isn't funny, and when it isn't like the first Halo the game sucks. The 8th level of the game is one of the worst levels I have ever played. Also the story device to advance the plot outside of cutscenes is so AIDS. I fucking hate that shit so much. Gears of War's single player is 10X better because you are constantly fighting in a different enviroment and don't have deja vu throughout the whole game. New enemies and new weapons keep things interesting, as well as a number of battle scenarios that are just fun.

Gears multiplayer certainly has its faults (host, the waiting), but Halo's isn't all that much better. The shield system absolutely sucks, and the damage system is AIDS. This is the biggest problem I have with the game currently. My K/D ratio sucks only because I end up assisting everyone else by beating the shit out of someone within an inch of their life and losing 90 percent of the fights I should be winning. This criticism doesn't even get at the heart of the issue with multiplayer, which is not being able to pick what stage or mode you want to play. That shit is so wack it is unbelievable.

If I am going to grade them , Gears is an A, Halo is a B-/B.

And PC shooters are better than console shooters. This isn't to say consoles are bad or that shooting games on them are horrible, it is just a fact that PC shooters are vastly superior and the experience is compltely different. To provide an example, go play FEAR on the PC and then play it on the 360. Game is completely different and the fun factor is zapped out of the game. I couldn't even play past the first level of the Xbox 360 version and yet I beat the PC version 3 times and was psyched to beat it on the 360 (until I played it). Also there is nothing to compare with the epicness of a Battlefield 2 or Unreal 2K4. The online structure and nature of console shooters just hasn't caught up.

In this thread we post our opinions as cold hard fact. Oh, and randomly argue about PC vs Console gaming.

Honestly, I can't really pick which I would prefer to play, as they're both awesome games, but I liked the the setting and design in Gears much more than Halo.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Gears would be way too easy with 4 player co op.[/QUOTE]

Well, I would assume they'd either make it more difficult or add more enemies.

I agree with Casey in pretty much everything he said, but I just personally find Halo more fun than Gears in multiplayer (both co-op and competitive), though I agree the thing that hamstrings Halo, especially this one is the god awful story and those Cortana moments. I'd say I'd give both games A-s, probably around 9.0s.

As far as presenting opinions as fact... that's pretty much any argument/debate.

Gears of War is probably the best multiplayer I have ever played.

[quote name='help1']Halo 3 because it is soooo mcuh more customizable.[/QUOTE]

So customizable that Bungie has to customize it for you online.

Wow. People are angry.

For shear experience Gears beats Halo hands down. That said, the Gears experience can be had in a very short time period (i.e. rental). I ended up selling my copy because the shot gun ruined the online experience for me, but I did play a few hundred games online before that.

If you could only buy one game, it would have to be Halo 3. I'm amazed at the negative criticism it is getting. I played Halo 1 single player for 5 hours before I stopped playing. I tried playing Halo 2 online and never got into it. Halo 3 to me blows both of those games away. The repetition in the levels has been removed. There is a great variety of gameplay with great pacing. The sound is absolutely amazing, from the sound effects to the music to the enemy voices in battle. The graphics aren't as spectacular as Gears, but due the overall polish I didn't think about the graphics once while I was playing (which is definitely a positive in my opinion). Matchmaking does restrict open gameplay, but it does an awesome job of balancing the games. I played in at least 10 games last night that were decided by 1 or 2 points. If you want to pick a level and game type, both custom games and forge allow you to chose the map and game type along with thousands of other options. I can say hands down that forge games are the most fun I've had in an FPS online. Theatre is just the icing on the cake. Sharing video and screenshots creates a sense of community well beyond other console FPS's. I never imagined actually needing or using these features, but I love them now that I have them. And I also love the ability to go into a match I just played and see where the sniper was stationed that I couldn't figure out where he was in the game. Or to go into a game where I was absolutely spanked and watch the game from the view point of the guy that spanked me.

If I had to rate the games, I'd put Halo a notch above GoW (and Bioshock as well).

[quote name='Apossum']So customizable that Bungie has to customize it for you online.[/quote]

So you rather see a list of games that only lists Gridlock 1/8 and the occasional other map AND have practically 3 different modes that boil down to the same damn thing and one mode that is unranked and plays like ass? Okay, whatever. ;)

bread's done
Back