Gen Yer's and Teens are screwed in this economy!

cognitive77

CAGiversary!
According to this MSNBC article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28663645/

"For workers under 29, the unemployment rate jumped to more than 11 percent in December, compared with under 9 percent a year ago, according to Labor Department figures. That is far worse than the overall rate of 7.2 percent, up from 4.9 percent a year ago. The rate for teenage workers, from 16-19, is far worse -- approaching 20 percent."

Not surprising. The first things to get cut are the low paying, non-essential jobs. And that's going to be most teen jobs and a lot of college kids working part time etc.

Also, having less experience makes you more expendable so that hurts the younger crowd who've been at their jobs less time.

Well, if you are being affected by this situation, you can do one of a few things:

1. Bitch about it, blame the previous generations, and expect a handout.
2. Continue improving yourself to rise above the rest of the flock.

I'm pursuing #2 in graduate school. I've got over $140k in college debt, trying to find a engineering job in a shitty economy, and I'm not wasting my precious time griping over what our forefathers did. :)

So, as much as I truly feel for a bunch of teens and those in their early 20's losing/not finding low paying / outsourced / retail jobs, they might consider buffing themselves up a bit professionally in their downtime.

I can probably guarantee that the next few years in the job market are going to be very Darwinistic:

"Survival of the fittest"

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Well, if you are being affected by this situation, you can do one of a few things:

2. Continue improving yourself to rise above the rest of the flock.[/quote]

Just because you understand how royally screwed you've been by the executive class with their wildly exorbitant compensation and ubiquitous golden parachutes, it doesn't mean you expect a handout. Plenty of hard-working Americans are pissed about govt/corporate collusion that undermines the working and middle class to the benefit of the executive class, but we get up every day and goto our job with narry a complaint as to our personal situation.

you know who I hate? baby boomers. Those twats are the ultimate example of bullshit. They get jobs handed down to them, they get a great economy and all that jazz. And when we can't find a job they say you aren't trying hard enough. You can't have a good marriage? You haven't been trying hard enough. fuck THEM. fuck THEM IN THE EAR. I hate baby boomers and their bullshit.

[quote name='HotShotX']Well, if you are being affected by this situation, you can do one of a few things:

I'm pursuing #2 in graduate school. I've got over $140k in college debt, trying to find a engineering job in a shitty economy, and I'm not wasting my precious time griping over what our forefathers did. :)

So, as much as I truly feel for a bunch of teens and those in their early 20's losing/not finding low paying / outsourced / retail jobs, they might consider buffing themselves up a bit professionally in their downtime.

I can probably guarantee that the next few years in the job market are going to be very Darwinistic:

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

^5

I am in a similar situation.

Somewhat same here, though I only have a tad under $50K in student loan debt, and already landed an assistant professor gig for next year. So I feel very, very lucky in this economy (and with how abd the academic job market is this year with lots of state schools on hiring freezes etc.).

Though technically I'm not in the age range from that article as I turned 30 in November. :D

[quote name='Paco']you know who I hate? baby boomers. Those twats are the ultimate example of bullshit. They get jobs handed down to them, they get a great economy and all that jazz. And when we can't find a job they say you aren't trying hard enough. You can't have a good marriage? You haven't been trying hard enough. fuck THEM. fuck THEM IN THE EAR. I hate baby boomers and their bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I know of a baby boomer personally who is retired from a state job (prison) pulling down somewhere around $70k a year in pension. Well, he's not satisfied with that so he's fully employed now.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not surprising. The first things to get cut are the low paying, non-essential jobs. And that's going to be most teen jobs and a lot of college kids working part time etc.
[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]
Good luck paying off that debt... never. I don't understand why people get themselves into that much debt.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Good luck paying off that debt... never. I don't understand why people get themselves into that much debt.[/QUOTE]

im waiting to get bailed out by the government because my 20k in student loans is limiting my economic growth and thus my contributions to the national economy.

In some fields a lot of student debt is necessary. Business, law school, medical school etc. They don't tend to offer many funded positions grad students (stipend, tuition paid etc.) as they get paid well right out of school.

I hate having $50K since I did a social science degree (which doesn't pay as well--I start a bit over $60K but can make more through grants and summer teaching if I want)--but I didn't get a funded position my first year of my Master's and that was a big part of it. I was funded the rest of my master's and Ph D so I just took small loans to help make ends meet as going to grad school in a metropolitan area is rough on the budget. Thankfully this year I didn't take any loans since I work as a Faculty Reserearch Assitant rather than a graduate assistant and get paid more, as well as making money over the summer from teaching and some consulting work.

But at any rate, I have no regrets (just wish I'd been funded that first year) and I'll get it paid off pretty quickly--probably teach some summer courses at my new University since those pay around $8,000 a pop for faculty which is good pay for a six week course to help throw some extra money into the loans.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Good luck paying off that debt... never. I don't understand why people get themselves into that much debt.[/quote]

Because despite coming from a poor family I wanted to do something significant with my life. Aerospace Engineering, and more specifically the Astronaut Corp., has held my interest for years.

and quite frankly, I expect to make much, much more than $140k in my lifetime. AEs start off at a bare minimum of $45k/year, $55k/year on a Master's, and tend to make over $75k after a few years, and I think over $100k after 12-15 years of experience. Astronauts specifically make anywhere from $62,500 - $125,000 / year based on experience and education. Not mention a ridiculous federal medical plan and benefits.

All of which would be very nice. You know, assuming I can find a job and get started on the rest of my life now that I have my Bachelor's Degree and have been accepted into Graduate School. :)

~HotShotX

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Good luck paying off that debt... never. I don't understand why people get themselves into that much debt.[/quote]
For me it was either get into debt and get an education and try to improve myself or do things that will eventually land me in jail. Be thankful it wasn't the latter.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']My thoughts exactly.[/quote]

What the hell is wrong with Spiderman's fingers in your sig's comic panel? They look like wet noodles, does Spiderman have leprosy or something?

[quote name='seanr1221']Go into a field that's "recession proof."[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the great thing about working in academia on a tenure track. The economy would have to get vastly worse for tenure track faculty to get laid off. They are affected, at my university we're required to take a couple furlough days etc., but it's really just the staff and non-tenure faculty that get screwed.

On top of the job security (hard to fire a tenure track faculty, and especially tenured faculty) universities have ways to increase revenue. Raise tuition, admit more students to increase enrollment etc. so it's a pretty secure gig. Not 100% as no job is, but about as close to recession proof as you get.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='camoor']What the hell is wrong with Spiderman's fingers in your sig's comic panel? They look like wet noodles, does Spiderman have leprosy or something?[/quote]
His face looks like it was kicked repeatedly by a donkey...

Its a good thing we've been changing the definition of unemployed, the last change being at the tail end of the Clinton administration. Once you run out of unemployment benefits/eligibility, you are considered no longer looking for employment and removed from those numbers.

The real numbers are much, much scarier.

[quote name='The Crotch']His face looks like it was kicked repeatedly by a donkey...[/quote]
Listen to this man, he's an expert on donkeys.

This is silly.

*everyone* is screwed in this economy. There's evidence as well, that being moderately well paid and having a long tenure at your job means you're a high risk to be fired/laid off as well. Company X is going to save more money getting rid of you and your position than Johnny or Judy Underpaid Newgrad.

bread's done
Back