General Gaming Thread ∞

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dallow']NSMB Wii looks so damn boring and the multi even worse! (and i'm a huge mario fan)
Why are people excited?

/venting[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I don't understand why Nintendo is willing to pimp out the 3D Marios, whilst leaving the 2D ones stagnant in the 90's.

Scratch that, I do. It's because it'll sell any way! Throw in some koopa kids and you've got yourself a GOTY. Heck, they're even rehashing SMG.

[quote name='dallow']NSMB Wii looks so damn boring and the multi even worse! (and i'm a huge mario fan)
Why are people excited?

/venting[/QUOTE]

excited because it could possibly be the game NSMB DS wasn't? I know that's why I'm going to check out NSMB Wii.

[quote name='AfricanFruitWaynely']I'm with you. I don't understand why Nintendo is willing to pimp out the 3D Marios, whilst leaving the 2D ones stagnant in the 90's.

Scratch that, I do. It's because it'll sell any way! Throw in some koopa kids and you've got yourself a GOTY. Heck, they're even rehashing SMG.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I believe 3D mario has been straight garbage since the original success of the SM64. Sunshine was less than average and while Galaxy may or may not have been better than SMS, it bored me to tears in the first 20 minutes. People who agree with me probably long for the "glory days" of SMB3 and SMW, the same way we long for the "glory days" of Sonic and his 2D platforming greatness.

Some of my best gaming memories stem from 2-player SMB3. That game was a blast. Not only should this game be what NSMB should have been, but the possibility of playing coop instead of alternating turns seems very promising.

[quote name='frosty']excited because it could possibly be the game NSMB DS wasn't? I know that's why I'm going to check out NSMB Wii. [/QUOTE]It looks exactly like the DS version though, which completely lacked the charm of any of the NES Mario games. (so far, I'm playing through it now to see what was up)
Controls are weird too.... :(

We should face it, there will never be another SMB3, or any game close to it.

I have actually really enjoyed all of the Mario games as of late. Sunshine was the only letdown for me, and that was only slightly. Galaxy was a superb game and I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was my GOTY when it came out. Sure, the nostalgia factor of it is probably what won me over, but it was still a pretty sweet game.

I'm excited for NSMB Wii because it looks like I finally have another game I can play with my mom besides Cooking Mama. And I just had a lot of fun with the DS NSMB.

The hype for NSMB Wii isnt for enjoying the game, but from nintendo fanboys wanting the game to re-fuel wii sales worldwide. They dont actually give a crap about the game, but they just want nintendo sales to go back up and for more npd top 10 titles so they can post stuff like "lol hd generation", etc. It must be awesome to be a nintendo fan this gen!

[quote name='blitz6speed']The hype for NSMB Wii isnt for enjoying the game, but from nintendo fanboys wanting the game to re-fuel wii sales worldwide. They dont actually give a crap about the game, but they just want nintendo sales to go back up and for more npd top 10 titles so they can post stuff like "lol hd generation", etc. It must be awesome to be a nintendo fan this gen![/QUOTE]
Seriously? People are actually doing stuff like that? I'm amazed that there are even still Nintendo fanboys that diehard. I mean, I was pretty bad last gen, but that is amazing.

[quote name='dallow']It looks exactly like the DS version though, which completely lacked the charm of any of the NES Mario games. (so far, I'm playing through it now to see what was up)
Controls are weird too.... :(

We should face it, there will never be another SMB3, or any game close to it.[/QUOTE]

I liked the visuals on the DS game. I just hated the actual gameplay. The powerups sucked, the levels were boring...
I'm hoping NSMB Wii fixes those issues a bit. I know the difficulty is supposed to be higher because of the "i'm a failure" feature.

And, for me, SMW compares very favorably to SMB3 -- I'm not sure which I like more. Maybe SMW, actually. But there's been NOTHING comparable to SMB3/SMW at all since their inception.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Seriously? People are actually doing stuff like that? I'm amazed that there are even still Nintendo fanboys that diehard. I mean, I was pretty bad last gen, but that is amazing.[/QUOTE]
You definitely are a noob if you don't know about *looks left* *looks right*
DMK

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I liked the visuals on the DS game. I just hated the actual gameplay. The powerups sucked, the levels were boring...
I'm hoping NSMB Wii fixes those issues a bit. I know the difficulty is supposed to be higher because of the "i'm a failure" feature.

And, for me, SMW compares very favorably to SMB3 -- I'm not sure which I like more. Maybe SMW, actually. But there's been NOTHING comparable to SMB3/SMW at all since their inception.[/QUOTE]

I actually prefer SMW to SMB3, but that may be because it came with my SNES and was the first game I really dove into.

I also really liked Super Mario Sunshine, so that probably invalidates my opinion among everyone else.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I actually prefer SMW to SMB3, but that may be because it came with my SNES and was the first game I really dove into.

I also really liked Super Mario Sunshine, so that probably invalidates my opinion among everyone else.[/QUOTE]
If that invalidates your opinion, then you should see what happens to mine when I admit Super Mario Bros. 2 is my favorite Mario game.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I liked the visuals on the DS game. I just hated the actual gameplay. The powerups sucked, the levels were boring...

And, for me, SMW compares very favorably to SMB3 -- I'm not sure which I like more. Maybe SMW, actually. But there's been NOTHING comparable to SMB3/SMW at all since their inception.[/QUOTE]I can agree with that last sentiment.

Mario 2 was pretty awesome too WSB.
I remember thinking how weird it was, loved playing as Peach, and ever since then, any character with a 'float' ability I've always been drawn to.

[quote name='dallow']I can agree with that last sentiment.

Mario 2 was pretty awesome too WSB.
I remember thinking how weird it was, loved playing as Peach, and ever since then, any character with a 'float' ability I've always been drawn to.[/QUOTE]

Mario 2 is a different beast. A good game... but so radically different than the rest of the 2D SMB titles...

Yeah, I don't consider it a classic "Mario-style" game, but it still one of my fave NES games and one of the few I can play today and still enjoy.

Many of my older faves feel too dated now and they're harder to enjoy.
Just don't have the patience that my young self had.
I know I beat some Muppets game almost twenty (holy shit) years ago that I can't stand to even pass the first level today.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']
And, for me, SMW compares very favorably to SMB3 -- I'm not sure which I like more. Maybe SMW, actually.[/QUOTE]

I prefer SMW slightly. Finding all the hidden exits added a ton to the game. SMB3 is fantastic too of course.

NSMB was just ok. NSMB Wii isn't remotely making me regret ditching my Wii in early 2008 though.

A huge chunk of my interest in Epic Mickey is lost because how it looks now.
I shouldn't have kidded myself and expected it to look anything like the concept art, like every other game.

Still, I'll play it because the game has a good pedigree behind it, so it has a good chance of being a worthwhile title.

new super mario bros wii looks really fun. It's not surprising that people here would dismiss it. It is on wii - that's about all it takes for this crowd to hate a game.

[quote name='refusedchaos']Found out today that my gf's friend's dad was the animation director for Borderlands :D

I badly want to play some games but got a essay to write >_

Hmm...Picked up "Future Tactics:Uprising" Today for 3$ at target. Haven't got a chance to play it yet though. I also finally purchased Battlefield Bad Company and Frontlines for about 23$ brand new. Yet to play them as well.

I finished my second run of GodHand today, I haven't played it since I beat it the week it came out. Such a neat game.

I opened Odin Sphere and it seems great so far, I am going to beat it before I start any other games.

Also, I have a sore throat/cough/lethargy. :( I am supposed to get my swine flu vaccine on friday the 13th'

I HATE GETTING SICK DAD GUM IT

Also, Dexter is getting really interesting.

[quote name='Persona7']
Also, Dexter is getting really interesting.[/QUOTE]

Still not as good as the first season. But better than seasons two and three.

[quote name='refusedchaos']Found out today that my gf's friend's dad was the animation director for Borderlands :D

I badly want to play some games but got a essay to write >_

[quote name='Persona7']Hmm...Picked up "Future Tactics:Uprising" Today for 3$ at target. Haven't got a chance to play it yet though.[/QUOTE]

I got that at Kmart in 2005 for $5, and never opened it. I never really cared for keeping games sealed, I just never had the desire to play it. I ended up trading it on here a few months ago.

[quote name='blader16']If only, if only...
ff7-ps3-case.jpg
[/QUOTE]

holy shit! damn I wish that was real... and I wish they'd make it into an DMC action type game w/ Motorcycle riding..

I'm gonna be playing a lot of Borderlands, Call of Duty 4, and Grand Theft Auto IV for the next week. Honestly, I never got to the first Prestige in CoD 4 so I want to do that before I get MW2- I'm level 53 at the moment.

[quote name='manthing']Avoid the Negro.[/QUOTE]

My soldier has been more than adequate... not sure what the other 3 abilities are, but that turret (soldier) is kind of badass.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']My soldier has been more than adequate... not sure what the other 3 abilities are, but that turret (soldier) is kind of badass.[/QUOTE]
I like the turret as well. I'm probably gonna use the Hunter on my next fresh playthrough though- his eagle-thing looks pretty helpful.

[quote name='Maklershed']Borderlands question - my buddy is gonna take the sniper. Who should I take?[/QUOTE]
They're all good.

I was a sniper as well and my buddy a soldier.
His ammo regen and my health regen made the game too easy by the end of it.
New Game + is a lot more fun though.

If you guys need money/items, let me know.

I play as Hunter. The hawk/bird thing is ok. Better if you level it up, but I've been concentrating on just upping my own damage so far. Played online last night with 3 other people (2 snipers, 1 soldier, and one bezerker) and it was a lot of fun. More people seemed a lot easier than just me and someone else.

My Blackwing is amazing (fully upgraded with mods to boost)

It's not a huge deal until it can attack multple targets and then it can just clear rooms for you pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back