General musings about multiple systems

Stingermck

CAGiversary!
So heres my dilemma. Current owner of a 360 & PSP, Current Borrower of a PS2. I'm in my late 20's so Ive being playing since the Atari days.

A friend of mine picked up guitar hero Saturday. After playing it i was instantly hooked. Now at the time I did not have a PS2. But a friend of mine has a slim that she doesn't play that much (only for DDR) So I asked if I could borrow it for a while, she agreed and I run off to Best Buy to purchase my own Guitar Hero. Hook it up with a set of Component Cables, for my Plasma, start to play and I immediately suck.

Upon looking around online, I find that on some HDTV, rhythm games on PS2 can experience lag. This also explains our crappy performance on DDR lately.

So fuck. I find a great game to bring me back to PS2 and i cant play it.

So being pissed off about it has me rather jaded about games right now. I miss the days of one system, and games working, and not having to worry about x game coming out on x system I don't have.

I love my 360, but after beating Dead Rising, Saints Row, and Lego Star wars, in the last few weeks, it feels kinda done. Only other exclusive title that has my interest for the rest of the year is DOA X2. Smackdown 06 is my other must have, but for once is multi platform this year. Yeah yeah and maybe Gears of War.

PS2 has Justice League Heroes. This is another must for me. Still wish that was being made for 360, and I'm not holding my breath for BC. Other exclusive stuff like Scarface, Sopranos, Bully etc, has me pissed they were canceled for 360. Guitar Hero 2 is reported to run at 480P so maybe that one will run better for me.

And as far as the PSP. Haven't touched it since the day after Tekken was released. Never use the multimedia features, and games just are not there. Syphon filter was the only one i've finished.

So after all this babbling, I'm trying to figure out what system is for me. Is there anyone else out there, who gets tired of going back and forth between systems, just for 1-2 games?

Don't worry at some point Guitar Hero will grace the 360 as well as the Justice League game. It would just be silly for those developers to ignore such a big slice of the gaming market for too long.

[quote name='MadFlava']Don't worry at some point Guitar Hero will grace the 360 as well as the Justice League game. It would just be silly for those developers to ignore such a big slice of the gaming market for too long.[/QUOTE]

Ah, baseless speculation.

Guiter Hero is the new DDR, meaning there will be 20 verisons of it spread across all systems in just a year or two. And there will be Guitar Hero knockoff games out as well, just like there are for DDR. 'Guitar Revolution' anyone?

People are funny. They expect an instant and constant flow of great games once a system launches. I got a DS the Xmas it was released with Super Mario 64. I didn't buy another DS game until this past February. I now own 8-9 DS games that are all fantastic. That's 13-14 months of not buying a game for a system. The first 1-1.5 years of a new system is generally slow.

I've been pleased with the 360's content flow. No, it's not great, but it's enough until this Xmas and next year when things will really pick up steam. People need to realize game development takes time. AAA titles don't grow on trees. I bought a 360 near launch for 1 reason, Halo 3.

I will not buy a PS3 right now because there is no must have game that I know of for me. I will buy a Wii for MP3 and Zelda. It's all about the games. I own every current system on the market (except for PSP which I sold a couple weeks ago) because there are great games on all of them.

For me, hardware is a one time investment allowing me to play any game I choose so I don't sell stuff unless it's end of life cycle. If you played all of the games you wanted to for the 360, then go ahead and sell it for a PS2. Just don't go kicking yourself when Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Fable 2, Forza 2, Viva Pinata, Mass Effect or some other 360 exclusive comes out and you have no 360 anymore. Consoles are too expensive to be buying and re-selling constantly. Plan ahead and be patient. Sure there could be a game that will make you re-buy a console (like RE4), but use your own judgement and patience.

Thanks for the responses. Guess I'm just annoyed when certain games dont go next gen, or are exclusive, etc etc.

Puma made some great points. Im sure ill keep the 360, not much on your list for me, but other stuff like Smackdown, Marvel UA, and others should keep me gaming for a while.

I really think in this generation, with the cost of making a new game, we'll see fewer and fewer exclusives. The only way I could see a true exclusive is if the game required a feature unique to the console (the Wiimote, DS touch screen, Xbox's robust Live, etc.). Which makes the upcoming console wars interesting. Sony, while having inferior hardware by far, won the console wars with thier exclusives (or at least exclusives-for-a-time) in FF, GTA, Guitar Hero, etc.

I daresay the libraries of the PS3 and 360 will be almost identical, save for games published and made by the respective system's maker. The Wii is an interesting wrinkle: how do you port to or from it? But I think, really, you're safe holding onto that 360. You should get the games you really want this gen, no problem. Also, Activision just announced that Guitar Hero was going massively multiplatform. :)

http://kotaku.com/gaming/guitar-hero/guitar-hero-coming-to-all-major-platforms-202010.php

How in the world does High Definition function or RGB add on or etc cable affects the gameplay. That is just weird and not right.

The lag is due to the TV scaling and processing the signal from the PS2 to fit the native resolution of the display. Some TVs have "Game modes" which bypass this processing in order to eliminate the lag.

What model of TV do you have?

Imagine what Guitar Hero for 360 will be like. I hope they build an engine that allows you to use a custom song and it will figure out the how the chords in the game should play. That way we wouldn't have wish this song or that song was in the game anymore.

[quote name='radjago']The lag is due to the TV scaling and processing the signal from the PS2 to fit the native resolution of the display. Some TVs have "Game modes" which bypass this processing in order to eliminate the lag.

What model of TV do you have?[/quote]

That explains why there is an option for Input 2 on my LCD projection TV. As it has component input on the left hand side (which is one of the reasons why I chose it).

My problem with having multiple systems (not counting handhelds, I have everything current except a Cube, which I want to get sometime), is doling out the money for games that i want for each system.

bread's done
Back