General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Destromas']I just can't seem to get into Square-Enix games anymore...[/quote]

It seems like the only Squeenix games that are good anymore are on handhelds, and most of those are remakes of older games. It may be just me, but I really think Square and Enix both made better games before they merged.

[quote name='Krymner']It may be just me, but I really think Square and Enix both made better games before they merged.[/QUOTE]
There's a really great quote I read somewhere once, about Square and Enix, pre-merger; it was along the lines of "the competition brought out the best in both companies."

Hope this isn't too offtopic for this thread, but one thing I miss about them being separate companies is that we don't get any good non-RPG games out of them anymore. Where have the Einhanders and Bust A Grooves gone?

[quote name='JEKKI']yo look what i made!!!

2qv401d.jpg

does that make me cool yet?!?!?![/quote]

That's awesome, reminds me that I still need to beat this game...right after FES and DDS

Just finished Brave Story New Traveler. I give it a C+ just because it didn't do anything that hasn't been done before. The battle animations are fantastic and the girls are all in their best Warrior/Slut attire.

Now, it's on to Tales of Eternia. I'm about 30 minutes into it and it's weird playing a Tales game from before Symphonia. I like the game but it's definately a blast from the past.

I was gonna pick up Eternal Sonata for the PS3 this weekend, but after playing thru the demo again, I think I'm gonna wait for a price drop now.

I guess I got a couple weeks until Valkyria Chronicles comes out, so I think I'm gonna get back into Persona 3 FES and play thru The Answer quest.

Started Golden Sun on the gba today. Figured it was time to play through that again, since I hadn't beaten it since it came out. I also never beat The Lost Age, so I figured I'd start GS 1 and then continue on with GS 2. Last I remember, I could beat GS in just a few days, so I'm hoping it'll go that quick this time.

Edit: Playing Golden Sun again reminds of how fucking good RPG's can be.

I never finished Golden Sun either. Only got about halfway thru it. Not that it was bad, I just thought it was very mediocre.

I'm playing Eternal Sonata and Tales of Eternia at the same time I'm at the inevitable "Let's go to the capital and talk to the king/ruler/duke" part in both games. Now I remember why don't play 2 RPGs at the same time.

I've never played Golden Sun so I don't have an opinion either way. I was never into playing RPGs on my GBA but now I'm really into PSP RPGs. Go figure.

[quote name='Rodimus']Here's a question for all you RPG fans. Who is your favorite "silent hero" in an RPG?[/quote]

Off-hand I'm going to say Chrono. But that's partly because he was the first to come to mind. Ryu from BoF would be a pretty close second for me.

[quote name='Rodimus']Here's a question for all you RPG fans. Who is your favorite "silent hero" in an RPG?[/quote]

That dude from Suikoden II.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Off-hand I'm going to say Chrono. But that's partly because he was the first to come to mind. Ryu from BoF would be a pretty close second for me.[/quote]

He's the first one I thought of too. I also liked the hero from Suikoden V (even though he was very girly looking) His facial expressions gave him a personallity.

Also I liked Mario in his RPGs. Jumping around and acting things out to tell a story.

[quote name='Rodimus']Here's a question for all you RPG fans. Who is your favorite "silent hero" in an RPG?[/QUOTE]

Ryu, BoFIV.

Golden Sun was good when it was released. I was blown away. It was the first game I bought for my GBA. I've finished it a few times since then. Using spells in the environment to get to places was the first time I've saw that.

Also, silent heroes suck.

[quote name='Rodimus']Here's a question for all you RPG fans. Who is your favorite "silent hero" in an RPG?[/QUOTE]
Silent heroes are awful, but I like Crono, and maybe the guy from DQVIII. He's not half bad.

Nintendo characters! Wait, this is rpg thread, I mean that guy from Persona 3. He got super pimping skills. There are way too many silent heroes in rpg in general, from jrpg of Suikoden or Shin Megami Tensai to Western Rpg of Star Wars Old Republic.

[quote name='fatbeer'] Wait, this is rpg thread, I mean that guy from Persona 3. He got super pimping skills.[/quote]

True. And the main hero from Suikoden 2.

I don't consider a Zelda game as a rpg. It probably have the fewest rpg elements then most games. Castlevania have more rpg elements then that and it is consider as action adventure.

Another vote for Chrono, here, though Mario comes a very close second.

[quote name='Moxio']I forgot about Minato.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I like Minato's "I run around with my hands in my pockets" style.

I watched my friend beat Infinite Undiscovery today, and I was so surprised that I could tell what kind of person each character was based on their design and like, 5 lines of dialogue.

And people wonder why I don't like most JRPGs anymore.

On the other hand, I finally started Mass Effect.

Tetsuya from Brave Story just because he's fresh in my mind. Also because he seems like he's a kid that's being babysat instead of some great hero.

I'll send up another vote for Chrono. However, I agree with fatbeer that the hero from Persona 3 was a hell of a pimp. Best silent hero with the ladies ever.

I wish I could erase all my memories of Chrono Trigger from my mind and play it again for the very first time. I tried to replay it on the PS1 release about 3 or 4 years ago, and I got about two-thirds thru before those load times just got to be too much. But other than that, its probably more than 8 years since I last played thru the entire game.

Anyone here who hates Chrono Trigger???

[quote name='kainzero']I watched my friend beat Infinite Undiscovery today, and I was so surprised that I could tell what kind of person each character was based on their design and like, 5 lines of dialogue.

And people wonder why I don't like most JRPGs anymore.

On the other hand, I finally started Mass Effect.[/quote]

Careful with Mass Effect there is so much game ending bugs. Use more than one save files.

I didn't run into any game ending bugs With Mass Effect but I still saved like every 15 minutes. I loved that game. In fact a few days ago I went back and completed all the optional missions including the "Bring Down the Sky" DLC mission.

This kinda goes with what we have been discussing about silent heroes. I was reading this article over at 61FPS about re-naming characters in RPGs and was wondering how everyone here felt about the subject.

I used to like the option back in the old 16-bit era, but nowadays with all the voice acting in games, it just seems kind of lame. Sorta like in Persona 3 that I'm playing thru now, they have to dance around your character's name but it seems it would be so much better if the hero had a real name they could say instead of just "him" or whatever. How different would both FFX and X-2 be if they actually referred to "Tidus" in the game instead of dancing around it, all because you could change his name?

But when you are forced to give characters names, I usually pick Krymner for the hero, if it fits. If not, I'll default to Cole, a four-letter name that I've used since FF1 back in the NES when all you had was four spaces for a name. A buddy of mine always makes his hero's name "Dude" and names the lead female "Bitch". It makes for some funny dialog.

Started Disgaea DS yesterday and I'm now starting chapter two. Didn't do much grinding, but I've only been using Etna and Laharl.

When naming my heroes I went through phases. When I was a kid it was always my name: "Jared" Then I would give everyone their default name, unless I can't then it's either "Kayin." or "Rodimus"

Now if I have to name someone it's an original name every time. Sometimes it takes me a good 15 minutes to think of something to stick. I try to have it make sense with the game, for instance in Persona 3 since it's in Japan I gave him a Japanese name. He was a silent hero so I named him "Kioshi" which means "silent one" in Japanese.

[quote name='Krymner']This kinda goes with what we have been discussing about silent heroes. I was reading this article over at 61FPS about re-naming characters in RPGs and was wondering how everyone here felt about the subject.

I used to like the option back in the old 16-bit era, but nowadays with all the voice acting in games, it just seems kind of lame. Sorta like in Persona 3 that I'm playing thru now, they have to dance around your character's name but it seems it would be so much better if the hero had a real name they could say instead of just "him" or whatever. How different would both FFX and X-2 be if they actually referred to "Tidus" in the game instead of dancing around it, all because you could change his name?[/quote]
Just a quick comment here:

I actually don't like voice acting in RPGs and I really wish they'd just do away with it...

Any suggestions for a PSP RPG after I finish Tales of Eternia? I'm thinking Final Fantasy I or Tales of the World but I'm not sure if I want to play another Tales game so soon. I'd prefer a turn based game but I'll take a game with a real time battle engine if it's well done. I've already played Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne d'Arc, and Brave Story.

Subject for discussion: Good grinding versus bad grinding.

I've beat games like FFVI, FFIV, and both Shining Force's more than once. In later playthroughs I would try to max out skills (like all the spells from VI's espers) collect ultimate weapons for FFIV GBA and get all the characters in both Shining Forces and make them usable.

But I got FFIII for DS. And I'm hating the job grinding. A lot. Which is disturbing me since I'm a complete whore for Final Fantasy games. The job class system is cool, the story and characters are fine, I just get so damn tired trying to up my job.

What grinds do you like? Which ones drove you nuts? Anyone have some advice on this damn job system in FFIII?

One of the few games where I actually enjoyed grinding was FFXII, although chains probably helped to some effect as you felt like you were always working towards something. Grinding generally feels bad when battles are repetitive, long, or random. FFXII certainly alleviated most of these claims as they were neither long nor random, and while sometimes repetitive the overall speed of the battle makes it a non-issue.

It's been a while since I've played FFVI (probably 12 years), but I don't remember any grinding issues or concerns when playing it then. FFIII DS on the other hand was very grindy so much to the extent that I never finished it, and its been so long of a break since last playing it I'm not sure if I ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back