Generic Questions About PS2 from a non-Playstation owner

BrerDan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey folks! I've never owned a Playstation or Playstation 2, but I've been tempted looking at the sleek new re-design. Still, I love my Cube, so I'm trying to weigh if it is worth getting (for my wallet, $150 is pretty steep).

Anyhow, I guess my main question is about online playing. I gather that for most of the games that you don't have to pay a monthly subscription fee. Is that true?? Are there any online capable games *besides* sports and first-person shooting games? I'm not dissing those games, they just aren't my thing (which is why I got the Cube to begin with).

Of course, if I am considering a new system, I'll also consider the X-Box--but if you have to pay a monthly subscription there, than the PS2 easily wins.

My secondary question is about playing DVD-Rs. Has anyone tried this on the PSTwo? I recently bought the Gateway model for $150 (and really like it--it works great so far), but my old DVD player in the bedroom won't play DVD-Rs. I might be able to use this as leverage in convincing the spousal unit (who has *zero* interest in games).

Thanks much!
BrerDan

Yeah there is no monthly fee. Some online games that are not sports/fps would be Ratchet and Clank, Amplitude, FF11 (that one has a monthly fee), can't think of any more right now..

Alot of racing games are online. Like Need for speed underground, ATV offroad fury 2, Midnight Club 2 to name a few. Also Lord Of The Ring games.

FFXI also requires the HDD, I believe, which is an additional cost.
No monthly fee just for the online gaming, except for the MMORPG FFXI and Everquest, as someone said above.
Check out this list of online-enabled games.
http://www.us.playstation.com/onlinegaming.aspx?id=index

A majority of them are sports or FPSs, and I don't know how active some of them are [my brother brought Medal of Honor: Rising Sun up over Thanksgiving, and there were at most ~130 people logged on from the East Coast.]

My older PS2 can read burned DVDs just fine. I have an older DVD player so for burned movies, I use my PS2.

The New PSTwos are supposed to have better compatability with DVDr But I dont remember the specifics on it. My Old first gen PS2 also reads them strangly enough so I just figured it's a question of the disk quality or the quality of the burner that made the disk.

Burnout 3 online is supposed to be "effin' awesome" I wouldnt know as many games (atleast racing games and vs games) require Broad band which I dont have.

Also that list is confusing because it lists things like Gradius 5 which has no online function and says Frequency supports zero online players(it actually supports 2 or 3 players.)

[quote name='Alpha2']The New PSTwos are supposed to have better compatability with DVDr But I dont remember the specifics on it. My Old first gen PS2 also reads them strangly enough so I just figured it's a question of the disk quality or the quality of the burner that made the disk.

Burnout 3 online is supposed to be "effin' awesome" I wouldnt know as many games (atleast racing games and vs games) require Broad band which I dont have.

Also that list is confusing because it lists things like Gradius 5 which has no online function and says Frequency supports zero online players(it actually supports 2 or 3 players.)[/quote]

1. Damn, beat me to Burnout 3. This is one of the gems of console online gaming. It's so much fun online, it's sickening.

2. Can you play online with a retail copy of Frequency? I would love to, but I don't know how to jump online with it.

Yeah You can use it online, same way you would with the demo (choosing multiplayer, etc) unless they've killed the Frequency server.

Again, thanks folks! When Sears has their 10% off sale this weekend, maybe I'll snag one there.

Of course, I'm still wondering if it is worth the money for me. I *reallly* want to play Kingdom Hearts and GTA Vice City (for the 80's theme naturally)--but beyond that there are just no killer games I have to play, since I am not a First Person Shooter or Sports fan--nor a huge RPG fan. I tend to like middle of the road and quirky action/platformer games.

hmmmmmm

Thanks in any case!
BrerDan

[quote name='BrerDan']Again, thanks folks! When Sears has their 10% off sale this weekend, maybe I'll snag one there.

Of course, I'm still wondering if it is worth the money for me. I *reallly* want to play Kingdom Hearts and GTA Vice City (for the 80's theme naturally)--but beyond that there are just no killer games I have to play, since I am not a First Person Shooter or Sports fan--nor a huge RPG fan. I tend to like middle of the road and quirky action/platformer games.

hmmmmmm

Thanks in any case!
BrerDan[/quote]

Jak series, Ratchet and Clark series, Devil may cry 1, Dynasty Warriors perhaps, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, MDK2: Armageddon, Maximo series, Sly cooper series, or shoot what's that weird rolling one Katmari Damacy or something like that. That's what I can think of off hand, I'm sure there are others.

Before I purchased my PS2 I just went skimmed through IGNs entire review section, read to see what the gameplay was like if a game title caught my eye, then wrote down what I wanted to purchase.

Don't expect too much out of Kingdom Hearts or Vice City. Kingdom Hearts - The levels are kind of short and some of the bosses are pretty difficult mostly because the camera doesn't do a great job and the item menu is completely useless during a battle.

Final Fantasy X is a must play!

Tribes Aerial Assault and Amplitude stunk up my PS2 for the longest.. then a friend borrowed Tribes and I lost Amplitude. If my wallet weren't so dry..

By the way, X-Box doesn't do monthly fee. A one time fee when you first purchase it.

Have fun with the decision

Doesn't XBox Live have a monthly fee? You can prepurchase a set of months all at once, but it still is an ongoing cost.
Anyone still play Tribes: AA online? I just got my PS2 online, and I'm not into the total competitive FPS;s, and Tribes is generally less than ten bucks.

I guess there is the possibility of me being wrong, seeing as how I'm just going off my friend's mentioning, and I don't own it.

I just traded in my PS2 and am waiting for my PStwo, but as soon as I get that, I'd love to join you in a game of Tribes.. Still my favorite online console game, definitely.

[quote name='screwkick']Get a Dreamcast for $15. Better graphics, and cheap games.[/quote]

I love my DC, but.....

:rofl:

And Xbox Live has an annual fee.

bread's done
Back