Get $50 Best Buy Gift Card For Each Purchased HD DVD Player Before Feb 23rd 2008

SpeedBrkr

CAGiversary!
Announcement Here

An Important Message from Best Buy for HD DVD Player Owners

For months, there has been much debate surrounding the two competing high-definition video formats: Toshiba's HD DVD and Sony's Blu-ray Disc. Recently, Toshiba announced that they will no longer produce HD DVD players, and movie studios have decided not to release new titles in the HD DVD format.

Exciting news if you bought your HD DVD player from Best Buy
As the owner of an HD DVD player, you may have concerns about these developments. At Best Buy, we are dedicated to making sure you always have the right technology for you. That's why we're offering you a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008. (See details and qualifying models.) Use the gift card to treat yourself to anything you want in our stores or online. Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

Good news (even if you didn't buy from us)
Be assured that your HD DVD player will continue to play existing HD DVD titles (and upconvert standard DVDs to near-HD quality) as it always has. If you purchased a Best Buy service plan with your HD DVD player, we will continue to honor it for the life of the plan. If, however, you wish to trade in your HD DVD player and HD DVDs, we offer a convenient way to do so via our Best Buy Trade-In Center. Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies. See below for further information, along with additional resources that we hope you'll find helpful as you examine your options.

QUALIFYING MODELS

Best Buy's offer of a complimentary $50 gift card for each HD DVD player purchased is extended to customers who bought any of the following HD DVD products in Best Buy retail stores or online at BestBuy.com by 11:59 p.m. CST on February 22, 2008:
  • Toshiba HD DVD player models:
    HD-A1, HD-A2, HD-A20, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-A30, HD-A35
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD player accessory model 9Z5-00013
Offer excludes HD DVD-equipped computers and laptops, and so-called "dual-format" or "universal" high-definition disc player models designed to play both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD media.

OK OK OK!

i decided to give the 1888 number another call and guess what?

Not only the options changed, but they got well informed CS operator, there is no starting date! As long as it's purchased from BB before 2/23/08, you're fine.

Of course, you have to wait 4-6 weeks to get the $50 gc though, awesome!

So basically, you don't have to do a damn thing to get this (maybe you have to be a rewardzone member, else i don't see how they gonna mail the gc to you).

I called and was told as long as I made the purchase between Nov 2006 and Feb 23, 2008, I would be eligible. The customer service rep also took the time to confirm my address (good thing since it was an old address in their system) and my email address. :D

lol, thanks bb, I wonder when the hddvds will be $5 a peice, I can't wait.

it turns out that the purchase wasn't so bad after all.

$180 + tax for player + kk + 5 mir hddvd+ planet earth + heroes + matrix trilogy (sold for $50) + 50gc

yeap, she also confirmed my address as well. Actually, i think you have to be in the system in order to get the $50 gc, if not, i don't see how the hell they know you bought a hd-dvd player from them OR how the heck they send you a gc in the mail...

Hmmm...I wonder if I'll get one or two. As long as I get my $50 for my A3 that I bought in December (I think)...I'll be happy...that takes my A3 purchase price down to $50 :bouncy:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hmmm...I wonder if I'll get one or two. As long as I get my $50 for my A3 that I bought in December (I think)...I'll be happy...that takes my A3 purchase price down to $50 :bouncy:[/quote]

Same here, bought an A3 from BB.com (well, actually an A2 but they subbed an A3 for it) for $100, so $50 back will be very nice indeed.

I'm just waiting for someone to post "APRIL FOOLS!" :lol:

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']i did too.most people did. the drop didn't even happen til the 23rd, and they say BEFORE the 23rd. And the word "before" is even underlined in their site.

so really, you couldn't have got it for $50 before the 23rd, you would have gotten it for $70.

my crazy spin on it: i saved $20![/quote]

I still had to have it price matched to K-mart on the 24th. Oh, well it was still worth it to me.

[quote name='lawdood']Same here, bought an A3 from BB.com (well, actually an A2 but they subbed an A3 for it) for $100, so $50 back will be very nice indeed.

I'm just waiting for someone to post "APRIL FOOLS!" :lol:[/QUOTE]

plus the 10 free hd dvds this was a steal! and it keeps on paying out for me

Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

So i guess you dont have to do anything?

I called customer service and she said that since I didn't have it on my reward zone and it was in store to just go into the store and they should give me a $50 gift card.

As for how folks will get the the gift card automatically, Engadget has this up from a newswire feed.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/19/best-buy-offers-hd-dvd-owners-50-gift-card-trade-in-shoulder/

Most Best Buy customers won't have to do anything to receive their gift card. As a demonstration of its commitment to its customers, Best Buy will proactively mail cards to all customers that the company can identify as having purchased an HD-DVD player. Members of the Best Buy Reward Zone program, customers who purchased Performance Service Plans (PSPs) or who made their purchase on BestBuy.com should look for their gift cards in the mail by May 1. Other customers who may not be easily identified can call (888) BEST BUY to receive their gift cards with proof of purchase through a credit card or their Best Buy receipt

[quote name='Pookymeister']rewardzone back up, but guess it only goes back 90 days so not helpful for me anyway.[/QUOTE]

I called Reward Zone customer service and the rep stated that I needed to send an email to their cs department to obtain RZ transactions beyond 90 days. Just a heads up.

I was ready to buy the 360 add-on as soon as Toshiba announced they were dropping HD-DVD on 2/19... figured the 360 AO would drop like a brick but was feeling like waiting until I saw to what... bought at $50 (with some RZ certs) on 2/25/08... why oh why didn't I just buy it on the 19th and do a price match?!?!?!?

sigh.

[quote name='Justin42']I was ready to buy the 360 add-on as soon as Toshiba announced they were dropping HD-DVD on 2/19... figured the 360 AO would drop like a brick but was feeling like waiting until I saw to what... bought at $50 (with some RZ certs) on 2/25/08... why oh why didn't I just buy it on the 19th and do a price match?!?!?!?

sigh.[/quote]

I feel the same way lol, I too bought it at $50 on the 25th :bomb: thinking about it now that if we did buy it earlier at the old price and then get it fixed to the $50 or less, the addon would've been just about free since you're getting $50 back on a gift card :cool:

Because this promotion is to appease buyers who DIDN'T know they were buying obsolete equipment. If you knew you were buying an obsolete format after the Feb 23rd then you get nothing. Thats why.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Because this promotion is to appease buyers who DIDN'T know they were buying obsolete equipment. If you knew you were buying an obsolete format after the Feb 23rd then you get nothing. Thats why.[/QUOTE]

It could be argued if you bought any time after the Warner announcement you should've known as well. ;) It's still a fairly arbitrary date, I would've done the cutoff on 2/19 when Toshiba announced they were leaving the market.. seems weird to give a few more days, unless they're purposely going until the $50 360 add-on price.

I bought an A2 from BB early November for $100. They went to backorder status, so they upgraded me to the A3 for the same price. It was purchased at BB.com. But, it won't bring up the purchase from more than 90 days. Is it the same as the Rewards thing where you have to call?

I called Reward Zone customer service and the rep stated that I qualified in getting the gift card ( i purchased it like most during the free 2 dvd box set and heroes). She said needed to send an email and confirm my address information. I'm hoping that this is true, we all will just have to wait!

I contacted Customer Service earlier today, and they verified that i had a qualifying purchase, back in November of 2007, and that they would have a supervisor call me within a few days (no idea what for.)

I already got both of mine free after the Box Set sales (Not even counting the 10 free movies on both) Now I get to MAKE $100. This is great news.

[quote name='CardSHARK4Life']I contacted Customer Service earlier today, and they verified that i had a qualifying purchase, back in November of 2007, and that they would have a supervisor call me within a few days (no idea what for.)[/quote]

I got pretty much the same thing. The Customer service guy told me that this was the first day and their system wasn't fully up and running. He confirmed my purchase as well as confirmed my address. He said I'd get a call in a few days and I should expect my gift card in 4-6 weeks. I don't know if I'll ever get a call but I will probably call back next week sometime to confirm that my gift card is indeed on the way.

Someone call Best Buy Business and find out. I ordered 1 through there (HD-A3), 1 from bestbuy.com (HD-A3) and one from the store (XB360)

crud, sorry if this is old info but my purchase on 23rd didn't qualify. They told me that they chose the date based on when they cut prices on the players which was on the 23rd. Oh well, I still got a good deal on my A35, would have been icing on the cake.

I called Customer Service...was never informed of any further phonecall, but they verified my mailing address....and found all 3 of my purchases, err, was supposed to be 2 purchases but they found another that I had returned, but they said that it qualified. Shhh, that's our little secret. Anyhow, a 360 add-on during the Heroes + 2 movies headache, a HD-A3 from BBfB, and an open-box HD-A30 that I bought for my new 42". $150 in gift cards, nice. Let's just see if they come through as they promise.

[quote name='lurknomore']I called Customer Service...was never informed of any further phonecall, but they verified my mailing address....and found all 3 of my purchases, err, was supposed to be 2 purchases but they found another that I had returned, but they said that it qualified.[/quote]

Hmm, if returns aren't being validated I should get at least $200....between all the returns rebuys that happened will all the escalating deals (free 300, free Heroes, free Heroes + 2 movies)

This is a sweet deal. I got my A-30 on the 22nd on a CC price match.

Got the email this morning (3/24), which is great because I'm not sure I could find the receipt in my stack 'o papers.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Hmm, if returns aren't being validated I should get at least $200....between all the returns rebuys that happened will all the escalating deals (free 300, free Heroes, free Heroes + 2 movies)[/quote]

You got heroes TWICE?!?!? damn.........

yea I did the return/rebuy but it was a pain in the ass to track down the free Heroes in my area as I had to drive nearly an hour to go get it :whistle2:(

I wonder if they will see the same thing about not seeing the returns...

[quote name='ITDEFX']You got heroes TWICE?!?!? damn.........

[/quote]

No, i just meant it was a continual escalation of more deals added on to buying the drive i.e. Buy drive + Heroes then return it all and walk out with the same thing + 2 more movies after that deal was announced.

Though i actually did buy 2 drives during the Heroes + 2 more hddvds free deal - my friend wanted one. Works out for me :)

I bought my 360 HD DVD add-on during the free Heroes deal and so I was able to not only get that deal, but also the one a few weeks later where you were able to get yet another free HD DVD. However, rather than have them mail me a gift card as some people did, I went in to the store to pick up that free HD DVD on the second deal. When the girl checked me out, she rang the player up again as a seperate transaction for some reason and then zeroed everything out and gave me the free HD DVD. Anyway, what that means is that I was left with two receipts showing two seperate purchases of two HD DVD players, when in reality I only bought one.

And luckily I had saved both receipts, so today I was able to call 1-888-Best-Buy and give them both of the receipt numbers, and they confirmed they would be sending me not one but two $50 gift cards! This has turned out to be the mother of all deals. In the end I got all this for $238 :

- 360 HD DVD player add-on - $180+tax
- 360 Universal Remote - Free (in box)
- King Kong HD DVD - Free (in box)
- 300 HD DVD - Free (w/ 1st deal)
- Heroes Season 1 HD DVD - Free (w/ 1st deal)
- Planet Earth HD DVD - $45 ($35 off w/ 1st deal)
- Letters From Iwo Jima - Free (w/ 2nd deal)
- 5 HD DVDs mail-in rebate - Free
- $100 gift card - Free

Thanks Best Buy!

I bought an HD DVD player 360 add on from Best Buy back in August last year, I need to dig out that receipt. I hope I still have it.

[quote name='Dragon164z']I bought my 360 HD DVD add-on during the free Heroes deal and so I was able to not only get that deal, but also the one a few weeks later where you were able to get yet another free HD DVD. However, rather than have them mail me a gift card as some people did, I went in to the store to pick up that free HD DVD on the second deal. When the girl checked me out, she rang the player up again as a seperate transaction for some reason and then zeroed everything out and gave me the free HD DVD. Anyway, what that means is that I was left with two receipts showing two seperate purchases of two HD DVD players, when in reality I only bought one.

And luckily I had saved both receipts, so today I was able to call 1-888-Best-Buy and give them both of the receipt numbers, and they confirmed they would be sending me not one but two $50 gift cards! This has turned out to be the mother of all deals. [/quote]

We did the exact same thing however when we called the CSR could not find the PIN number for the first receipt. She was able to PIN number for the second reciept and thus we only get a $50 GC for the 360 addon. Which is still great and we are happy to get it and the $50 GC for our A3!

Kudos to BEST BUY because they did not have to do this!

I tried logging in to the reward zone page and I'm still having problems with the whole username/password thing. But as long as this whole thing is true, mad props to Best Buy for doing this.

Just got the official email from them saying I should expect a gift card by may 1st. I purchased two though...I hope they send me 2. Anyone buy more than one and receive emails for each or just a single email?

[quote name='kevzik']Just got the official email from them saying I should expect a gift card by may 1st. I purchased two though...I hope they send me 2. Anyone buy more than one and receive emails for each or just a single email?[/quote]

I got the same one this morning. May 1st. Well at least they know that I did buy one instead of me having to call them and TELL them that I bought one.

^^^

[quote name='kevzik']Just got the official email from them saying I should expect a gift card by may 1st. I purchased two though...I hope they send me 2. Anyone buy more than one and receive emails for each or just a single email?[/quote]

Was it the same email you used to register for the Reward Zone program?

I got the email this morning... a $100 would be baddass.. Way to step up the service Best Buy! Only a few years ago you were on the bottom of my list, and lately you have been making strides.

I got the email also this morning. I bought my player when they had that Heroes deal going on. Pretty cool stuff. Thanks Best Buy!

Received email this morning as well. Interestingly, they sent it to my old email address although I have changed my RZ contact email some time ago.

bread's done
Back