Get $50 Best Buy Gift Card For Each Purchased HD DVD Player Before Feb 23rd 2008

SpeedBrkr

CAGiversary!
Announcement Here

An Important Message from Best Buy for HD DVD Player Owners

For months, there has been much debate surrounding the two competing high-definition video formats: Toshiba's HD DVD and Sony's Blu-ray Disc. Recently, Toshiba announced that they will no longer produce HD DVD players, and movie studios have decided not to release new titles in the HD DVD format.

Exciting news if you bought your HD DVD player from Best Buy
As the owner of an HD DVD player, you may have concerns about these developments. At Best Buy, we are dedicated to making sure you always have the right technology for you. That's why we're offering you a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008. (See details and qualifying models.) Use the gift card to treat yourself to anything you want in our stores or online. Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

Good news (even if you didn't buy from us)
Be assured that your HD DVD player will continue to play existing HD DVD titles (and upconvert standard DVDs to near-HD quality) as it always has. If you purchased a Best Buy service plan with your HD DVD player, we will continue to honor it for the life of the plan. If, however, you wish to trade in your HD DVD player and HD DVDs, we offer a convenient way to do so via our Best Buy Trade-In Center. Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies. See below for further information, along with additional resources that we hope you'll find helpful as you examine your options.

QUALIFYING MODELS

Best Buy's offer of a complimentary $50 gift card for each HD DVD player purchased is extended to customers who bought any of the following HD DVD products in Best Buy retail stores or online at BestBuy.com by 11:59 p.m. CST on February 22, 2008:
  • Toshiba HD DVD player models:
    HD-A1, HD-A2, HD-A20, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-A30, HD-A35
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD player accessory model 9Z5-00013
Offer excludes HD DVD-equipped computers and laptops, and so-called "dual-format" or "universal" high-definition disc player models designed to play both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD media.

Should I call their customer service since I bought an ad-on from a BB and I got an A3 from their BBFB. I don't have the receipt for the ad-on anymore, but it was bought when they had the free heroes promotion.

[quote name='Fëanor']Should I call their customer service since I bought an ad-on from a BB and I got an A3 from their BBFB. I don't have the receipt for the ad-on anymore, but it was bought when they had the free heroes promotion.[/QUOTE]

I say call just to confirm your address. They had the wrong one for me on file. It's better to check than be left out.

I called BBFB. They said that they would take a little longer than purchases from BB but BBFB are indeed getting the gift cards as well.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']^^^

Was it the same email you used to register for the Reward Zone program?[/quote]

Pretty sure.

I have yet to receive an email. Should I call them up or just wait? I bought the a2 in January 24 2008.

edit: I got the email. :)

Just got the email and I do vaguely remember writing my email address on one of those Best Buy rebate slips. $50 toward a DS lite for me. Losing a format war never felt so good.

I called them awhile back, was never told of the phone-call. Just got the call the other day. Just called pretty much to say hello, and then I received an email today. This is a ton of initiative on the part of BestBuy...I've been impressed. Hope things arrive as promised, most importantly.

BestBuy is extremely smart. They are going to quadruple their money on this. Think about it, lets give $10 million in GCs. They will bring in the business and get us to spend extra on top of the $50. I know every time I walk in to BB I cannot walk out without spending $75+ Well Played BB!!!

[quote name='blk00civicsi']BestBuy is extremely smart. They are going to quadruple their money on this. Think about it, lets give $10 million in GCs. They will bring in the business and get us to spend extra on top of the $50. I know every time I walk in to BB I cannot walk out without spending $75+ Well Played BB!!![/quote]

I've walked out of best buy without buying anything before.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']BestBuy is extremely smart. They are going to quadruple their money on this. Think about it, lets give $10 million in GCs. They will bring in the business and get us to spend extra on top of the $50. I know every time I walk in to BB I cannot walk out without spending $75+ Well Played BB!!![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'll be using mine to buy a video game or something small. I'm thinking they are thinking that the people who get a GC will use it to upgrade to a Blu Ray Player or PS3 which will cost atleast 400.00 total or 350.00 Extra.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Agreed. I'll be using mine to buy a video game or something small. I'm thinking they are thinking that the people who get a GC will use it to upgrade to a Blu Ray Player or PS3 which will cost atleast 400.00 total or 350.00 Extra.[/QUOTE]

Watch that being the catch when those $50 gift cards arrive. That we have to use them towards the purchase of a Blu-Ray player. Argh. Shudder the thought. Nothing against Blu-ray (as I have two players), but gift cards with "catches" suck.

[quote name='lurknomore']Watch that being the catch when those $50 gift cards arrive. That we have to use them towards the purchase of a Blu-Ray player. Argh. Shudder the thought. Nothing against Blu-ray (as I have two players), but gift cards with "catches" suck.[/quote]

Well you know I have the feeling too that this is going to happen, but considering that they said "GIFT CARD" instead of "$50 OFF CERTIFICATE towards the purchase of a Blue ray player including the PS3". With the way the economy is going, and how big retailers like best buy want you to spend your stimulus check with them, they aren't going to care as long as you walk into that store and buy something.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Agreed. I'll be using mine to buy a video game or something small. I'm thinking they are thinking that the people who get a GC will use it to upgrade to a Blu Ray Player or PS3 which will cost atleast 400.00 total or 350.00 Extra.[/QUOTE]

Given that a vast majority of the HD DVD hardware was sold below $175, I don't think BB would assume that this offer would convert users to a new piece hardware that costs two to three times higher than their original HD DVD hardware purchase.

This is a a PR and traffic generating move on BB's part. Given they are calling up folks and reminding them that they have reward zone certificates to spend months before they expire, they are trying hard to get people to go into their stores AND open their wallets. I think alot of folks are holding back a bit nowadays (I know I am) and it takes a good reason for me to spend the gas to make a trip to go to BB. I imagine that BB knows (through the reward zone records) that many HD DVD buyers are the type of people that once they are in the store, they spend money. So while this promotion is expensive, it is targeted at folks who are likely high margin customers (not all HD DVD buyers were CAGs). But that said, I know they are hoping that folks won't be saving these up for GTA4/Metal Gear 4 but rather push folks over the edge to splurge on a new camera or something along those lines.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well you know I have the feeling too that this is going to happen, but considering that they said "GIFT CARD" instead of "$50 OFF CERTIFICATE towards the purchase of a Blue ray player including the PS3". With the way the economy is going, and how big retailers like best buy want you to spend your stimulus check with them, they aren't going to care as long as you walk into that store and buy something.[/QUOTE]

Well either way they better have wrote the exclusions list well, or I can see where people will buy others GC and use that to purchase a PS3 with just the GC's.

I got the email the other day and gave the number a call. Everyone got the same message along the lines of "the email or phone call was just to verify that you have a valid address?"

email yesterday, phone call today. I really hope I get both 2 GCs. Would def take back at least half the bad things I have said about BB.

I got the email a few days ago, but since I lost the receipt a long time ago, I figured that I probably wouldn't be able to get in on the free giftcard.

So today I got the phone call (automated), which said, "...and have your receipt ready, if possible..." That "if possible" part was all that I needed to hear.

I talked to a really nice guy who verified my information, then asked the approximate timeframe of my purchase. I guess I'm getting old because I could only say, "Umm, about a year ago." He then patiently looked through my purchases back through 2004 (didn't know they kept those records!) to find my XBOX HD-DVD add-on purchase. Turns out that I bought it in Jan. 07.

Anyway, 4-6 weeks and a $50 giftcard will be at my door. Plus I had originally used a $100 giftcard which I got free from my credit card rewards to buy it, AND I sold it on eBay right before Toshiba let HD-DVD go, so all I can say is wow. For once big business is doing something right.

-mualan

Best Buy has called me again at home. Again confirmed what they have confirmed in at least 3 different phone conversations. They certainly are persistent in telling me that they will be mailing out the GCs. Just do it then. I don't understand the waiting on a month to a month and a half.

i just called to confirm my 360 add on i bought during the heroes promo. the cs said i was already on their list. verified my address and told me i will get it in 4-6 weeks. not sure what im using the 50 on tho.

Lol bb is calling people that they are getting a 50 dollar gift card........ oh good I have been waiting for good news via a phone call for a long time :bouncy:

Got my call yesterday, didnt say anything about having a receipt ready, which I dont have

This was the add on I bought, during the glitch which was allowing people to pick up 2 free boxsets with purchase, in addition to the free mail in offers... I sold that add on and got most of my money back... so and extra $50 GC will be very nice indeed

i used an employee discount on my 360 hddvd drive [that i too unloaded before toshiba stopped production] and i just knew that an employee discount on the recipt would rule me out but I confirmed that i was on the list to get one

figre this can go to some blu ray movies ive been meanin to pickup [pirates 3 for sure]

I'm shocked how aggressive Best Buy is being about giving us back 50 bucks... it was our choice to buy into HD, they don't owe us anything. I think it's a really solid move by them...

Also, I saw them bust down the HD shelf and expand the Blu-Ray yesterday.

I was surprised too and rather pleased. I wonder if they are doing this so they don't have a wave of people demanding full refunds or at least full store credit for the dead format they bought there.

I also got the email and phone call, neither asked me to contact them unless I do not receive my credit by May 1st.

Got my phone call for it on Tuesday. I bought the 360 add-on back in August '07, so if you bought it using your RZ card and got a phone call you're basically on the automated list for receiving the gift card. No receipt necessary if it's in their systems. As Needles-Kane said, if you get a phone call and/or email, that means they have your order already in their systems so you should be receiving it by May 1st. They may ask for your receipt on the email, but AFAIK they don't ask for it or anything of the such, they only say to call back if you don't get the GC by May 1st and no further action is necessary.

I am very curious to see when they'll take down all HD DVDs and supplies, last time I went last week they still had the same selection of HD DVDs as they did from the start.

[quote name='dg7md']I am very curious to see when they'll take down all HD DVDs and supplies, last time I went last week they still had the same selection of HD DVDs as they did from the start.[/quote]
[quote name='DestroVega']
Also, I saw them bust down the HD shelf and expand the Blu-Ray yesterday.[/quote]

Got the card today, hadn't called or anything.. it just showed up. :) One card for $100 (during the 11/1 sales I picked up 2, one for me and one for my parents). Being as each player had 3 free movies with it, plus one was open box for $89, and both had the 5 movie rebate (Which we've gotten both sets), I feel like I made out pretty well. ;)

Just got a GC for $150 today for the 3 Xbox add-ons I bought during the Heroes +2 box set glitch. I guess they sent to the address for my BBY credit card, since I had accidentally linked 2 of the players to my parents' Reward Zone account instead of my own.

EDIT: For reference, I never called or emailed to verify my eligibility.

Cool, hopefully I'll be getting mine in pretty soon if people are starting to receive theirs already.

I got mine today. $150 bucks (from 2 XBOX HDDVDs (sold both of them) and 1 HD-A3 (kept). Plus I actually got all 15 movies from the mail in deal. Too awesome.

Glad that the cards are finally coming through. While this is certainly a generous, I honestly would have preferred that Best Buy simply continued to carry their HD-DVD stock and sold it at an Amazon priced discount.

bread's done
Back