Get $50 Best Buy Gift Card For Each Purchased HD DVD Player Before Feb 23rd 2008

SpeedBrkr

CAGiversary!
Announcement Here

An Important Message from Best Buy for HD DVD Player Owners

For months, there has been much debate surrounding the two competing high-definition video formats: Toshiba's HD DVD and Sony's Blu-ray Disc. Recently, Toshiba announced that they will no longer produce HD DVD players, and movie studios have decided not to release new titles in the HD DVD format.

Exciting news if you bought your HD DVD player from Best Buy
As the owner of an HD DVD player, you may have concerns about these developments. At Best Buy, we are dedicated to making sure you always have the right technology for you. That's why we're offering you a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008. (See details and qualifying models.) Use the gift card to treat yourself to anything you want in our stores or online. Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

Good news (even if you didn't buy from us)
Be assured that your HD DVD player will continue to play existing HD DVD titles (and upconvert standard DVDs to near-HD quality) as it always has. If you purchased a Best Buy service plan with your HD DVD player, we will continue to honor it for the life of the plan. If, however, you wish to trade in your HD DVD player and HD DVDs, we offer a convenient way to do so via our Best Buy Trade-In Center. Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies. See below for further information, along with additional resources that we hope you'll find helpful as you examine your options.

QUALIFYING MODELS

Best Buy's offer of a complimentary $50 gift card for each HD DVD player purchased is extended to customers who bought any of the following HD DVD products in Best Buy retail stores or online at BestBuy.com by 11:59 p.m. CST on February 22, 2008:
  • Toshiba HD DVD player models:
    HD-A1, HD-A2, HD-A20, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-A30, HD-A35
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD player accessory model 9Z5-00013
Offer excludes HD DVD-equipped computers and laptops, and so-called "dual-format" or "universal" high-definition disc player models designed to play both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD media.

Huh, I remember calling before but I honestly don't remember if I got the gift card. I would have been emailed something, right?

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Huh, I remember calling before but I honestly don't remember if I got the gift card. I would have been emailed something, right?[/quote]

not unless you specifically requested that they e-mail you, and gave them your e-mail address at that time.

i have a friend who is still battling for his. i called and said that i would like this resolved and just send it to me and then sure enough i had one within a few weeks (processing time). just keep on them.

Just as my feelings for disdain and hatred of all things BB was starting to brew up, this thread is bumped up from out of nowhere. A real decent thing that BB did, even though it was a major pain in the arse for many of us with our many, many phonecalls to incompetents.

finally got my gift card yesterday, after many phone calls and half a dozen completely inept CSRs. technically speaking, all the trouble and time on the phone wasn't worth the $50, but it came down to the principle of the thing, and while the process was frustrating, i do appreciate that Best Buy offered the $50 in the first place, and i was pleased to see them finally come thru.

here's hoping i am really the last person to have received this; if anyone else is still waiting or battling, you have my sympathy.

I'm still waiting on my $50 gift card. :/ A couple months ago (during summer), they called me and told them to call them back about case#[insert case]. I called them back and they told me that the card was returned to them so I had to verify my address again. Nothing ever came and I forgot about it....

About 2 weeks ago, I went to Bestbuy and bought a game. A message popped up while I was checking out and the cashier told me that I would be getting a $50 gift card in the mail. o_O I guess I'll just wait it out and see if I actually get the card this time.

[quote name='mechachrome']I had completely forgotten about this.

I never received mine.[/quote]

if you still have the receipt handy (or if you know for sure that it was recorded by BB), give them a call. they're helpful, though not always knowledgeable about the deal. i had to repeat my story to so many people that i eventually typed it all down in a text file, along with myriad case numbers and CSR names, so i wouldn't have to keep recalling everything from memory. i finally got the danged thing. they will give it to you; it can just be a little trying.

I just received a second $100 card on saturday too...which was perfect timing since I needed to get a new entertainment center for my new 42" HDTV :bouncy:

well, looks like i spoke too soon. i just checked the mail and lo and behold... a second gift card has now arrived... i just checked the value... a hundred dollars! i now have $150 in BB credit for my 360 drive.

awesome.

Yeah, I received a second card in the mail today too. It was quite a shock. That $35 CoD: WaW is looking even better now.

[quote name='ITDEFX']So it worked out for you LP? So how many does it make it now vs how many 360 HD players you bought?[/quote]

I had purchased 2...well 3 but in store pick up failed on one, they sold it. Technically I only kept one that I purchased from them, but I got a total of $200. Now I'm actually thinking of selling my A3, I could use the space since I still have my trusty :360: HD DVD drive.

[quote name='allyourblood']yeah, after all this time and trouble, i don't even use my 360 drive anymore.[/quote]

Yea, right huh? :(

I don't know about your best buy, but fairlakes has a table with about a dozen 360 hd-dvd drives...and get this, you get it for 9.99 IF you buy it with a 360 system :roll: Who the fuck is going to fall for this shit?

Day before x-mas

Customer: Excuse me, does this play high definition movies!??!
Employee: Yes it will play the newest high definition movies in 1080p!
Customer: Wow that's a good deal, considering all these players are 200+ dollars right now.
Employee: yes it is Maam!

Day AFTER x-mas

Employee: Next..
Customer: Yes I need to return this because it won't play blu ray movies and the guy over there said it plays high definition movies...
:roll::roll:

well, i still play HDs, but i have 2 standalone players now. for a while, i hooked my 360 drive up to my PC and kidded myself that i'd play movies there, but that happened exactly one time. i decided i'd rather save myself the few cents in electricity each month, and just boxed it back up.

my Best Buy hasn't had any HD DVD stuff in stock since February. they literally pulled every last bit from the shelves the week of "the announcement". that was sure nice of them: sell everyone the dang thing, and then take away the precious few movies they could even play! taking that into consideration, it seems the $50 giftcard was less of a goodwill move, and more like hush-money for taking HD DVDs off the shelves, instead of letting folks buy them while they could.

on second thought, i deserve this $150 in GC! ;)

I am actually glad I was cautious with the format. Although I was trying to support it, I was thinking that if a few more studios swing support for BR, then it will be all over. The only titles I bought just before the announcement was Apollo 13, and that I got as is for 5 bucks at target. Everything else I got for free.

i haven't paid more than $5 for most of my HD DVDs, and i don't regret the decision for a second. there's tons of great HD DVDs to be had for next to nothing these days, so i've got plenty. of course, i now have just as many BDs, but if a movie is on both formats, i'll take the HD DVD hands down, unless they're magically the same price.

I got an HD DVD player with the Toshiba LCD TV I bought last year. It works great with the few HD DVD movies I have. It recently became my primary DVD player because it completely integrates with a Harmony remote.

I still love my HD-DVDs. They've still got awesome sound and picture quality, and there are few Blu-ray releases currently available that I'm interested in that I don't already have on HD-DVD.

That said, I do worry about being able to play them in the future, but I do have a couple of backups.

I wish there was still a format war going on. The bargains were more interesting across the board when HD-DVD and BR were duking it out. Sure, HD-DVD is a steal nowadays, but there's nothing new...

Blu-ray's fine, as far as quality goes, but what matters to me isn't blue, or red, but green.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i just received a gift card in the mail today, so for those still waiting, it still may be possible to get one[/quote]

Me too. I already received two $50 GC for the 360 add on and Toshiba player last year.

Today I received a letter and a $100 GC.

You may want to check you amount on your GC. Hopefully you got $100 like me.

this is still going on?!??! come on best buy... get with your programs and don't make people wait over a year to get stuff from you!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']this is still going on?!??! come on best buy... get with your programs and don't make people wait over a year to get stuff from you!![/quote]

My point exactly. How long has it been since they were doing this? A year ago?

bread's done
Back