Get out of Verizon contract with no ETF

homeland

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Figured I'd post this in case others, like me wanted to get out of their verizon wireless contract. I originally saw this posted on slickdeals so credit goes to them.

In Verizons May bill they state:

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

Tolls, taxes, surcharges and other fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges, vary by market and as of January 1, 2008, add between 4% and 35% to your monthly bill and are in addition to your monthly access fees and airtime charges.
Monthly Federal Universal Service Charge on interstate & international telecom charges (varies quarterly based on FCC rate) is 11.3% per line.
The Verizon Wireless monthly Regulatory Charge is 7¢ per line.
Monthly Administrative Charge (subject to change) is 70¢ per line. Beginning May 1, 2008, the monthly Verizon Wireless Administrative Charge for voice and email plans will increase from $0.70 to $0.85 per line.
The Federal Universal Service, Regulatory and Administrative Charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes. For more details on these charges, call 1–888–684–1888.

you go to the user agreement and it states:

Your service is subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU’RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.

so if you want, you can do like I did. Call them up say you read the bill, read the user agreement and state I am canceling my service due the adverse affect. Tell the CR to put your number on port hold. And your done w/ Verizon.

link to the Slickdeals thread:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=807658&highlight=verizon

I actually tried to do this about two weeks ago. I had so much trouble with the voyager and navigator and ended up having to swap it out 5 times:bomb: I called them up and told them that I was thinking of leaving it and they told me that I would have to pay the ETF even though I resigned up for another 2 years when I got the new phone. Even though I was ready to stick it to them with the new information and talk to a supervisor, the CSR gave me an extra 100 bonus minutes for free (which I really needed).

So yea you can fight it and most likely win, but be aware they might just give you some incentives to stay.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I actually tried to do this about two weeks ago. I had so much trouble with the voyager and navigator and ended up having to swap it out 5 times:bomb: I called them up and told them that I was thinking of leaving it and they told me that I would have to pay the ETF even though I resigned up for another 2 years when I got the new phone. Even though I was ready to stick it to them with the new information and talk to a supervisor, the CSR gave me an extra 100 bonus minutes for free (which I really needed).

So yea you can fight it and most likely win, but be aware they might just give you some incentives to stay.[/quote]

just because they give u the incentive doesn't mean you have to take it. On the slickdeals thread some people stated they had trouble with the CSR but I had no such thing. Just stayed polite but firm. It literally took me 5 minutes.

Also what you are describing isn't what I posted about. By them raising the rates it allows you to either A) do nothing and accept the rate increase or B) Call and get out.

obviously as someone who works for a competing service, I am happy to see people leave VZ, but I believe that legally they would not have to let you out of your contract if they wanted to push the issue. (these are the types of business cases and issues I work with daily). The key clause in the T's and C's that you reference is MATERIALLY ADVERSE EFFECT. I don't think that a judge would agree that someone who pays $XX.XX (around 60 is the industry avg) per month for a cell phone is materially affected by a $.15 change in fees.

That being said, I'm glad they weren't d!cks about it, and I believe that Sprint wouldn't be either in most cases. Any business model we look at where fees or rate changes are involved, we have to assume that we will lose a percentage of customers due to the changes, and I'm sure they do as well.

Might I suggest moving to a different carrier coming out with an awesome new phone??? I'm buying this the day it releases.

http://www.nowisgood.com/?id9=SEM

can you tell me where you read this? is it on your bill or something? I want to go back to t-mobile

edit: sorry i should read the top part

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']obviously as someone who works for a competing service, I am happy to see people leave VZ, but I believe that legally they would not have to let you out of your contract if they wanted to push the issue. (these are the types of business cases and issues I work with daily). The key clause in the T's and C's that you reference is MATERIALLY ADVERSE EFFECT. I don't think that a judge would agree that someone who pays $XX.XX (around 60 is the industry avg) per month for a cell phone is materially affected by a $.15 change in fees.

That being said, I'm glad they weren't d!cks about it, and I believe that Sprint wouldn't be either in most cases. Any business model we look at where fees or rate changes are involved, we have to assume that we will lose a percentage of customers due to the changes, and I'm sure they do as well.

Might I suggest moving to a different carrier coming out with an awesome new phone??? I'm buying this the day it releases.

http://www.nowisgood.com/?id9=SEM[/quote]

any increase that is coming out of your wallet would be a material adverse effect. If it was up to verizon to decide, what would they define it as? 10-20-$100? thats why it states "To You"

I got out and now at Sprint and very happy. Finally feel like I get what I pay for. Though no offense I heard the CSR are horrible w/ sprint but I haven't found that to be true yet.

[quote name='homeland']just because they give u the incentive doesn't mean you have to take it. On the slickdeals thread some people stated they had trouble with the CSR but I had no such thing. Just stayed polite but firm. It literally took me 5 minutes.

Also what you are describing isn't what I posted about. By them raising the rates it allows you to either A) do nothing and accept the rate increase or B) Call and get out.[/quote]

Verizon's service in my area is pretty good, compared to sprint's. There were some technical issues with my new bill but the CSR took care of it as soon as I reported it (150 dollar bill when it was suppose to be around 62).

To get those free bonus minutes helped because lately I have been going a bit close to 300 or a little over 300 (but by less than 5 minutes). I watch my minutes after a long day time call and won't answer it at all if I am dead close to 300 minutes if I know the other person who calls me talks a lot. Now those extra bonus mins are a good safety net, all for free.

Only one CSR at Verizon Pissed me off because every 1 or 2 minutes she would change her previous statement and give me totally different price numbers all while EATING her salad while on duty AND on the phone with me.

I recorded that conversation and it would have been extremely funny to post it at Consumerist and let everyone know what this CSR sounds like munching on Salad and misleading customers every few minutes and being caught in the act. :rofl:

just wish verizon would stop crippling their phones.

If I call Verizon and do this, and then call some other company and startup with them, can I carry my old cellphone number over with me? Just want to make sure that asking to be let out of my contract doesn't void my number portability.

correct on the porting, but you do need to request port hold or they will release it. If you have telecom related questions, I'm happy to assist as much as I can, and I do know of a few great plans/programs for Sprint if you are looking to go there, but most are only available for new customers or those out of contract.

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']correct on the porting, but you do need to request port hold or they will release it. If you have telecom related questions, I'm happy to assist as much as I can, and I do know of a few great plans/programs for Sprint if you are looking to go there, but most are only available for new customers or those out of contract.[/quote]

was able to get on the SERO program. Loving it so far. Very happy with my Treo 755p and my wife loves her Centro. With one phone we can, call, text, IM, or email each other. Now waiting on my minisd card so I can try that iphone imitator. PalmOS seems abit old and cumbersome.

You don't happen to have any promo codes that sprint is currently accepting? I was able to get the CSR to give me a $50 credit for the code URANG, even though I think its technically expired.

Yeah i know it's an FCC mandate to allow porting on landline phone numbers. Didn't know that they had such a thing for cell phone numbers too, that's good to know

When you cancel Verizon, how long is it before you actually stop getting the service? Like does your phone dud out as soon as you finish the customer service call, or does everything stay active until you get with a new service provider? I am very curious about switching to that SERO plan and I'm just wondering what the best way to start the process would be.

[quote name='BustaUppa']When you cancel Verizon, how long is it before you actually stop getting the service? Like does your phone dud out as soon as you finish the customer service call, or does everything stay active until you get with a new service provider? I am very curious about switching to that SERO plan and I'm just wondering what the best way to start the process would be.[/quote]
What happens is they need to put a note on your account pertaining to the waiving of the ETF. You don't have to cancel at that moment. Then sign up with whatever carrier you want and when the # is ported your service should stop with verizon. Though I would call to verify the etf waiver note before switching.

[quote name='rmb']What happens is they need to put a note on your account pertaining to the waiving of the ETF. You don't have to cancel at that moment. Then sign up with whatever carrier you want and when the # is ported your service should stop with verizon. Though I would call to verify the etf waiver note before switching.[/QUOTE]Thanks!

Unfortunately I just called and the guy I talked to said that the ETF waiver would not apply for the service charge. :whistle2:(
So I got shut down with that. I guess if that happens I should just ask to speak to someone higher up? Damn, now that I think of it, I should have just asked, "why?" No real explanation was given as to why the ETF wouldn't be waived.

Yes ask to speak to someone higher up.. What he is saying is total B.S though good luck I've heard verizon has turned to completely lying to force people to stay. Many on the slickdeals thread are writting to the better Business Bureau. Only thing i can suggest is be firm and confident. You have writes based on the contract you signed. Anything they try to do "tell them it is not in the contract" If they offer to cover the cost of additional fees being added, tell them you do not agree to those terms, and per the contract I am notifying you that I will be canceling my service.

Good luck!!

duuude I tried again... got this chick on the line and she caved in right away! Hopefully this whole process goes through without a hitch now!

[quote name='rvdrock']So, if you're leaving Verizon...where you headed?[/QUOTE]I'm jumpin on that Sprint SERO train! I'm gonna hustle and get a plan TONIGHT so I can be sure to get in on the free unlimited txting.

Much thanks to everyone who offered helpful information, particularly homeland. Thanks a million!

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'm jumpin on that Sprint SERO train! I'm gonna hustle and get a plan TONIGHT so I can be sure to get in on the free unlimited txting.

Much thanks to everyone who offered helpful information, particularly homeland. Thanks a million![/quote]

no problem!! don't forget the referral program sprint has ;)

They refused to waive EFT after every terminology I used in the slickdeals thread.

Spoke to a nice Tier0 CSR named Celeste.

She informed me I could cancel but a EFT of 105 would apply.

I told her as per the customer agreement in my contract and Our Rights to Make Changes, that I can cancel by calling without any ETF if it has an materials ADVERSE effect on me which it does. I told her I could read it back to her and she says she has it in front of her.

After a ten minute hold she comes back on and says she can credit me which I refused stating I dont have to accept that, that I want the contract cancelled, she said it would be a 105 ETF which I said, want me to quote the contract again? She says no, and I ask her to explain why it would apply when the contract says it would not.

She said because they offered the credit that it doesnt matter. I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager, and they were both unavailable. She offered to have someone call me back within 24 hrs. I said 24 hrs huh? She said more than likely before the end of the day they would call me

So when the manager calls me Im gonna threaten to contact the BBB, recite the contract, and ask for his email address so I can give him ONE LAST CHANCE TO ABIDE BY THE CONTRACT and email him my request to opt out without any ETF, and he can email me back his response.

Good luck, though I would have just hung up and waited a few moments and called again to get a different CSR. Now that the managers calling i'm sure its noted on your account why you called.

The whole process sucks, you're just going by the contract. They should honor what they wrote.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']Anyone know if this would work to take off one line in a 3 person family share plan?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I second this, I want to do this as well.

Just though I'd bump this up, as your last chance to do this is June 29th. (I think.) My friend is going to do this to go with SERO too. I suggest you do the same. :)

bread's done
Back