Getting a new DS

vze21gwa

CAG Newbie
Hey fellows Cag's. I was wondering do any of you guys know the cheapest and fastest way(s) I can get a nintendo DS lite. I have an old one that that might break soon. I'm trying to look for a a new DS but wouldn't mind settling for used unless i'd have to. So i'd be interested in all suggestions you guys might have. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
When mine was about to break, I traded it in to Gamestop for $60 base + $20 bonus trade-in credit, and got a new one for about $50 extra.

Either way definitely don't buy it used, those things wear out pretty quick.

[quote name='tianxia']When mine was about to break, I traded it in to Gamestop for $60 base + $20 bonus trade-in credit, and got a new one for about $50 extra.

Either way definitely don't buy it used, those things wear out pretty quick.[/quote]Thanks. I thought of trading it in except the gs near me only gives $40 and i'm kinda cash strapped.

Got my daughter a pink one for $71 OOP when they had the $40 GBA trade-in + I had about $30 in GS GC's. Heh, that helped a lot. It will be a nice X-mas present.

[quote name='62t']try calling up nintendo and find out how much it will cost to repair[/quote]When I called nintendo they told me that since it's out of warranty they would charge me $93.60. Looking at GS prices the used ones are $90 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anybody know where i can get the gamestop $ 20 or $30 coupon for system trade ins? Also, how does the GBA trade in process work? do you have to trade in a t time of purchase or what? thanks.

When I traded in my GBA SP a couple weeks ago they had a promo going on where you got $20 extra cred towards a ds lite. The total amount they gave me was $40, but I dont know if the deal is still going on. I think they also had a promo recently where you got an extra $20 in credit for trading any console or handheld, but again I don't know whether that deal is still in effect either. Your best bet would be to call you local gamestop(s) and see if they have any promotions.

[quote name='antlp89']When I traded in my GBA SP a couple weeks ago they had a promo going on where you got $20 extra cred towards a ds lite. The total amount they gave me was $40, but I dont know if the deal is still going on. I think they also had a promo recently where you got an extra $20 in credit for trading any console or handheld, but again I don't know whether that deal is still in effect either. Your best bet would be to call you local gamestop(s) and see if they have any promotions.[/quote]I know they still have the same promotion i was wondering whether you had to do the trade in at the same time you were getting the ds lite.

A Gameboy Advance SP trades in for $20 base amount at Gamestop. A DS Lite trades in for $60 base amount at Gamestop. An original DS (phat) trades in for only $20 base amount at Gamestop.

Until 8/31, there is a special going on where you get a bonus $20 credit when you trade in eligible systems. All three of these are eligible.

There is also a coupon floating around (check the Video Game Deals forum) for bonus $30 credit when you trade in an eligible system. It doesn't stack with the $20 bonus. The GBA SP is not eligible for the $30 coupon.

There was another special going on where trading in a GBA SP specificly let you get a new DS for $89.99, but since that's the same as the bonus $20 promotion, I think it's gone. With the ones I described above, you get store credit for the trades, which you can keep and spend when you want to. If you need to make up the difference, check the trade-in values listed in this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191324
Some DS games are getting a surprisingly high amount.

You can trade broken systems and still get the bonus $20, but the refurb fee is half of the base trade value. You can't use the $30 coupon when trading a broken system.

At my local Gamestop, a used DS Lite is $109.99, while new ones are $129.99, same as everywhere. If you like Pokemon, some slower locations still have the new Pokemon DS Lite bundle in stock as well.

bread's done
Back