getting an xbox360 at target

Southberm

CAGiversary!
i know many of the targets near me in LI have been getting their second shipment this week, but of course whenever you call the store they dont know which day its coming in and the trucks come overnight not during store hours. But yet from what employees from stores that DID get 360s say is that even though the trucks come over night with 360s at random, there are still ppl waiting in line for it before the store even opens. How the hell does that happen?.....pixie dust???

I experienced the same thing. The employee did not know how they learned of it, however I have come to the comclusion that it was probably a tip off from an employee to friends.

***Skip the buildup if your attention span is really that short***

Well, I have been going to Target every morning for a couple days to see if there was any truth behind the "On store shelves on Friday or the weekend" article. On Saturday morning I decided it was the last time I was going out looking for one in the morning. I asked the employee and he lied to my face and said "No, they'll probably come early January". So I go and look and some DVDs and while I'm browsing, I overhear "Yea, we got a shipment in today!" I peek my head around the shelf and see a line of about 6 or 7 employees buying xboxes. Needless to say, I was fumed. But the anger took awhile to set in. I was just in disbelief that they actually had them (I had given up all hope of getting one this year as the employee lied to me). I bought one after the employees and the guy who lied to me ended up ringing me up and he looked really awkward and embarassed. I was really cool to him and gave him no problems. When the manager walked in, I tipped her off about the dude on my way out and she apologized for him.

Whenever someone asks me for advice, it's basically real simple:

1)Find out which Target in your area is the #1 Target. You can find this out by calling them.
2)Find out if they have gotten any shipment at all since launch. If they have and you missed it, chances are it's going to be awhile for the 3rd shipment. If not, they should be rolling in very soon.
3)Don't bother calling to ask for a date. Just make sure you know if any 2nd shipment has arrived.
4)Make sure to arrive right when they open. Obviously, some regions are different and allow a wider time gap for selling out but from my personal experience, 12 units sold in about 5 minutes with only 2 of them to actual regular joe schmoe's.
5)Be aware that some employees will do anything (LIES) to back you off to pounce on them for themselves and their friends. If you look at the glass shelf and it's empty, ask an employee. If the employee says they don't have any, don't automatically leave. Stick around for a few minutes and browse other areas. If by any chance the employee is lying to you, you'll see other employees trying to buy them soon thereafter and you can jump in like I did.

I have a friend that works at a pretty big Target. It's the #2 Target in the area and I suspected they would get some soon too (But I committed to the #1). I learned today that they got some in this morning (Sunday). He found out about it about 15 minutes after they went on sale and learned that they had all been sold out except for one which was being held for another employee. Keep in mind that they're not allowed to do this. The only reason they got away with it is because the guy was cool with my friend. I don't know how you can find out but if you can, make sure there are no units being reserved for absent employees or friends of employees. They are allowed to buy it if they're there but sometimes the employee will hide one behind the counter and call up a friend and tell them to come buy it. I know this because I got the 2nd to last xbox; the very last xbox was being held under the counter and I saw an employee calling up his buddy and telling him to "get down here right now!". Once he saw the manager approaching, he looked pissed and brought the xbox to the top of the counter where everyone could see it. That's how I assumed that they weren't supposed to reserve any for friends.

Well, that was a freakin long post but if it helps anyone at all receive an xbox, it was worth it. Before getting the xbox, I was fixated on message boards reading different strategies and methods of getting one and I finally did and I love it. Just thought I'd add my own contribution. Good luck.

That's good to know varock, I went every single day to my Target on opening to find nothing all week.

On Saturday, I made my daily 8am trip to Target to find 5 guys already waiting for the store, and once the doors opened, they made a bee line to the electronics section where I casually lagged behind and none of us found anything. On the way to the door, I overheard their anger and frustration as they wouldn't have their Xbox's and the same with me.

Meh, hopefully I get one on Tuesday or something, I've been purposely late to my Tuesday and Thursday classes just so I can make a trip to Target at 8am.

I have been stopping into Target on the way to work everyday with no luck as well.
There are usually 4-5 people waiting outside the store that briskly walk to the electronics department with me each morning.

My wife works relief/on-call for the Target Pharmacies in town. We have 2. She stopped by one of the stores today and talked to one of her friends who works in electronics and she said that they got 10 in this past Saturday (This is not the store I have been stopping in every AM at.) and they sold quickly. My wife gave her our phone number and she said she would call us the next time some more come in. I'll hold my breath, but at least it is a sign that the Targets are getting more in sporadically.

My wife says that I can get one, but have to get it at Target so we can use her employee discount.

[quote name='phrmcst']I have been stopping into Target on the way to work everyday with no luck as well.
There are usually 4-5 people waiting outside the store that briskly walk to the electronics department with me each morning.

My wife works relief/on-call for the Target Pharmacies in town. We have 2. She stopped by one of the stores today and talked to one of her friends who works in electronics and she said that they got 10 in this past Saturday (This is not the store I have been stopping in every AM at.) and they sold quickly. My wife gave her our phone number and she said she would call us the next time some more come in. I'll hold my breath, but at least it is a sign that the Targets are getting more in sporadically.

My wife says that I can get one, but have to get it at Target so we can use her employee discount.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me, I'm getting the feeling that all the Target employees are starting to know my face and might think I'm a freak.

Being purposely late to my first class due to Target and the Xbox 360 is not a great feeling, keeping my fingers crossed.

[quote name='phrmcst']My wife says that I can get one, but have to get it at Target so we can use her employee discount.[/QUOTE]

Your wife is a pharmacist and you have to get her permission to get a 360?

[quote name='menikmati']Same thing with me, I'm getting the feeling that all the Target employees are starting to know my face and might think I'm a freak.

Being purposely late to my first class due to Target and the Xbox 360 is not a great feeling, keeping my fingers crossed.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. I saw some employees this morning making fun of all the people looking for the 360.
I feel like my picture is probably on the wall in the security room and there are two security officers and one says, "hey that guy was in here yesterday AM" and the other one says, "yea, but his picture is on the wall, he is just one of those losers looking for the 360, ha..ha.. ha."

But I will be there again tomorrow. No shame in looking for the game!

[quote name='jkanownik']Your wife is a pharmacist and you have to get her permission to get a 360?[/QUOTE]

Actually we are both pharmacists and are actually having to cut our work days to avoid an upper level tax bracket this year.

Yea, I know. You spend your whole life growing up thinking, "when I grow up and get a nice paying job I am buying whatever I want whenever I want", but marriage doesnt work that way. We have a standing agreement that if something costs over $200 we have to get the others permission. Early retirement doesn't come easy.

Oh well keep on searching.

Man you should have told you wife at the start of the year "When the 360 is out im getting one." I basically told everyone that at the start of the year so I've had money set aside for it ever since, I just didn't understand the whole pre-order business and this will be the last time I don't pre-order a console ASAP. When the PS3 reserverations start I'm going to put mine in... for eBay purposes of course ;) To pay off this 360.

That's the whole reason why I'm not showing up at stores when they open every day to check. If someone lied to me or I saw employee's getting them all I would probably fuck someone up.

There was about 8 poople there with me today looking. It is funny to see all of us sprint walking to the electronics department once they open the doors. Target had someone working at the electronics counter this AM (we usually have to track down and employee and ask if they got any in). You can see the electronics counter from across the store and when the employee saw us all coming she immediately started shaking her head no and everybody's pace quickly changed to a slow crawl.

Some good news. One of the guys was just looking for a hard drive because he had picked up a core system somewhere and they had 2 that came in last night. Another guy bought the other one just in case he can only find a core before christmas. He was older so I think he was trying to find one for his kids.

It really sucks that MS split the inventory into two systems just because they were afraid that some people might not pay the higher price and now they cannot even meet the demand.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Oh well keep on searching.

Man you should have told you wife at the start of the year "When the 360 is out im getting one." I basically told everyone that at the start of the year so I've had money set aside for it ever since, I just didn't understand the whole pre-order business and this will be the last time I don't pre-order a console ASAP. When the PS3 reserverations start I'm going to put mine in... for eBay purposes of course ;) To pay off this 360.[/QUOTE]ps3=low demand. you wont see this madness at the ps3 launch. number 1. the price may be double the 360. number 2. sony will have enough in stock to avoid this mayhem.(think of the psp launch).

Well I went to 4 different targets in my area, 3 of them said Febuary 1 said April of all months lol.

[quote name='thagoat']ps3=low demand. you wont see this madness at the ps3 launch. number 1. the price may be double the 360. number 2. sony will have enough in stock to avoid this mayhem.(think of the psp launch).[/QUOTE]

1) Sony is bound to undercut at $500 or so this was posted before, and I'm sure Sony is willing to take the loss to be #1

2) The PSP was not very high in demand and extremely overpriced, the same won't be for the PS3.

[quote name='thagoat']ps3=low demand. you wont see this madness at the ps3 launch. number 1. the price may be double the 360. number 2. sony will have enough in stock to avoid this mayhem.(think of the psp launch).[/QUOTE]

Low demand? Do you even know how many PS1 and PS2 have been sold? Double the price of 360? Don't make assumptions, plus people still bought the xbox 360 on ebay at double the price. I'm hoping there's no shortage like the xbox 360. I'm sure they learned their lesson with the ps2.

[quote name='gokou36']Low demand? Do you even know how many PS1 and PS2 have been sold? Double the price of 360? Don't make assumptions, plus people still bought the xbox 360 on ebay at double the price. I'm hoping there's no shortage like the xbox 360. I'm sure they learned their lesson with the ps2.[/QUOTE]

I'll be first in line to pre-order and I'll be sure to put mine on eBay and have it pay off for my 360, and I'll also be taking money orders only that way I'm not scammed :)

Well, after 2 weeks of waiting outside the doors each morning, I finally got my 360 today at Target. They got 8 in (all premiums) and were sold out in about 3 minutes. If you were not with the crowd standing at the door (there were several people who chose to wait in the warmth of their cars until they unlocked the doors) you were SOL. Will keep my fingers crossed that I did not get a dud.
With my double discount (employee and Target visa shopping pass) it was $324.
Also picked up COD2, PDZ, and the plug and play controller charger.
Unfortunately I will probably not be able to find time to set it up and begin playing until this weekend.
For those of you still looking, I would recommend being at the store when they open and to try around the weekend. My Target got some in last Sat and today so they seem to come in around the weekends. Persistance pays.

[quote name='phrmcst']Well, after 2 weeks of waiting outside the doors each morning, I finally got my 360 today at Target. They got 8 in (all premiums) and were sold out in about 3 minutes. If you were not with the crowd standing at the door (there were several people who chose to wait in the warmth of their cars until they unlocked the doors) you were SOL. Will keep my fingers crossed that I did not get a dud.
With my double discount (employee and Target visa shopping pass) it was $324.
Also picked up COD2, PDZ, and the plug and play controller charger.
Unfortunately I will probably not be able to find time to set it up and begin playing until this weekend.
For those of you still looking, I would recommend being at the store when they open and to try around the weekend. My Target got some in last Sat and today so they seem to come in around the weekends. Persistance pays.[/QUOTE]

I've been doing it for the past 2 weeks now and ALWAYS see the same 2-3 guys at the door with me, I'm starting to feel pathetic and lose hope, but someday luck will be on my side.

bread's done
Back