getting back into ebay selling--13 items sold and not one feedback

turls

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Any creative ideas to get these deadbeat buyers to give me some positive feedback? I've sold 13 items in the last two weeks and not one person has given me feedback. I haven't even sold since they added the new categories so I don't even have ratings on the new categories. I lost money on shipping on most of these and shipped out next day on all but one of them. I even asked the ones I had to invoice to give me feedback and then I would return the favor. Obviously unless something has changed it doesn't do any good to go ahead and give feedback to the buyers because then you lose any incentive for them to ever leave feedback.

I've got 100% positive feedback but its probably been 4 years since I sold more than an item or two so it would be nice to get some recognition for my hard work to make these people happy that might help my future auctions actually make a little money.

[quote name='turls']Obviously unless something has changed it doesn't do any good to go ahead and give feedback to the buyers because then you lose any incentive for them to ever leave feedback.[/quote]
Actually I've found the opposite to be true. If a buyer still hasn't left me feedback after a month or so, I just go ahead and leave them a positive. Often they'll leave feedback right after that. I don't know if people purposely wait sometimes because they don't want to go first, or if they forget about it but then are reminded, but it works.

I usually email them and ask what the holdup is. I tried the "give me feedback and then I would return the favor" deal and I had straight up tell me they would not buy from me just because of this. Then I have had people wait a month or 2 then give me feedback.

I have had sellers that forget to leave feedback regularly....

As a seller, I'd say maybe 1 in 10 doesn't leave feedback, but generally as soon as I get payment I give them feedback. Might just be me, but I don't get too bent out of shaoe about it, I have over 70 positives, and I feel after about 25 you're really just padding your number. I say after you hit 25, you're pretty reliable.

I always wait until they leave feedback first when selling. And leave it first when buying.
If they don't give me feedback whatever I don't really care. I have 100% so whatever.

I understand what you're saying but right now if you look at my history it looks like I haven't sold anything because my previous sales were so long ago or I didn't get feedback. Probably 98% of my feedback is as a buyer. Maybe the bidders don't look at that and pay attention to selling vs buying ratings but if I was looking at me it would look like I've bought a lot of stuff on Ebay but never sold, so I'd be unproven. Thanks for the feedback.

Don't sweat it, turls. Like you said, bidders don't really look at where the feedback was originating from (selling or buying). I for one consider them relatively the same and both easily padded if a scammer really wanted to. The fact that your account is at least 4 years old certainly helps as well.

As for feedback: it's a 2-way street of annoyance and ignorance. When I sell things, I might get feedback 1/2 the time, when I buy things, 1/2 the time I only get feedback after I've left mine.

Buyers most certainly wait for the FB before giving to the sellers. With the new rule of "seller's can't leave bad feedback" in place, there's basically no reason for either party to wait, yet no incentive for either party to give it, either. It's truly broken. They should have implemented the auto-feedback timout (see: Goozex) a decade ago.

I don't know if I would call people who completed a successful transaction with you "deadbeat buyers" simply because they didn't leave feedback for you on eBay. That's pretty absurd. Most people are too busy to be bothered. The trails and tribulations of everyday life are leagues more important than making sure you hop on the computer and click a series of stars when your package arrives undamaged.

This used to irritate me a lot but I got over it... since the new feedback system has been in place, I'm getting feedback from only half of my buyers.

I just said fuck it because having really good feedback doesn't get any discounts or anything unless you're a power seller anyway.

Now that you can't leave anything but positive feedback for a buyer, you may as well leave + for them and see if that prompts anyone to return the favor.

IMO contacting the buyer just to ask for feedback is not a good idea. Mentioning it as part of a standard invoice or on a packing slip is probably okay as long as it's worded well.

I ship next day in a fresh mailer and get feedback nearly every time. :knockonwood:

I'd say about 80% of my transactions end with feedback being left. When I'm a seller though, I always wait to hear from the buyer before leaving feedback, whether it be via feedback or an email, just to make sure they are satisfied. Often I'll email them a week or so after I shipped to see if they got it and everything is in order.

I don't like to leave feedback until I know everyone is happy, mostly as I have had a few instances where the buyer turned evil upon receiving the item (nitpicking, vulgar, threatening). Granted we can't do anything about that now thanks to ebay's new policy, but it's habit.

what i used to do was wait a week, and if they still didn't leave FB I would leave them a positive asking them politely to leave me FB as well. Seem to have worked, however I don't really care for FB anymore since too many buyers fail to use it. I'm probably missing over 30 so I don't bother leaving them FB first.

As soon as my buyers get my packages, they leave me one, so you could always just send them a friendly hello and let them know that you will leave them a feedback once they leave you a feedback and they are happy with the transaction.

Buyers automatically get good feedback so they have no incentive to really leave any feedback at all. From personal experience in the last couple months I had purchased several items for Christmas presents. The presents never arrived when they were supposed to but they did arrive. Over the course of time I hadn't received the items I sent messages to the sellers inquiring about shipping dates and arrival times, but once I received the items I totally forgot to leave feedback (I hope my wife took care of it cuz I can't leave any now).

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a high percentage of buyers that did not leave feedback lately. I just started leaving feedback for them regardless and maybe that would encourage them to leave me some. I guess thats the way ebay wants us to do it anyways. Can't use feedback as retaliation anymore (had to happen once in a certain situation), so now I give some and hopefully I get some.

I bought a Dreamcast two weeks ago on Ebay, needless to say they just shipped yesterday after I spent those two weeks trying to get a hold of them. (Had the buyer will ship within 3 days of receiving payment on auction, I paid instantly)

I wonder what type of feedback they will be getting from me!

Edit - I always leave feedback once I have received the item in question and have taken a look at it.

Feedback is entirely voluntary, and people usually don't like it when you ask them to leave feedback. Often times people leave feedback in batches, so like every month or so they will leave feedback for all the items they have purchased.

Also, sometimes the reason people don't feedback is because they weren't totally satisfied with the transaction, yet they don't feel you deserve a neg/neutral, so they don't leave feedback at all. And lastly, some people will actually give you a negative feedback if you pester them about leaving feedback. I know someone who requested his buyer leave him feedback, and the buyer left a negative that said "You want your feedback well here it is"

Im a powerseller on eBay and as long as I have been selling on there I always just leave feedback for the buyer when I ship their items. I have never gone the route of waiting for a buyer feedback to post my feedback. So far over the last 10 years and nearly 2000 feedbacks without a negative this has worked great.

I have always found this to be the best method of doing things as a seller. Every month since eBay has offered discounts for power sellers I have gotten either 15% or even 20%. To me that says it works along with doing everything else the best you can.

I also have never sent a request for feedback. I have been tempted at times but I have always felt if the buyer didnt leave a feedback maybe the reason was they werent 100% happy and they just chose to ignore the situation. Why at that point would I want to dig it up? At least thats my theory

bread's done
Back