Getting back into gaming - Need Advice/Suggestions

davo1224

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I find myself really bored and having extra time now that I have a steady 9-5. I wanted to provide some information and hopefully let the experts here give me some guidance.

* I want to buy a Wii but does every game have to use motion control? I don't live alone and honestly think the "party" experience would blow for right now. I also know I'd get horribly annoyed having to move my arms around every so often when I just want to relax.

* I've considered buying a 360 Arcade since I don't do online play and it seems to be the most traditional console which I like. Still I'd be pretty pissed if my downtime pastime broke every so often and I'd be without it.

* I haven't ruled out the PS3 but I'm currently using a 1979 Zenith TV and a knockoff brand from the mid 90's for viewing. It'd seem like kind of a waste.

Some of my favorite games (to get a feel for what I like):
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World / Mario 64
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Mario Kart
007 Everything or Nothing
Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Hoping to get in on the TRU sale before it ends so help me CAGs

[quote name='davo1224']* I want to buy a Wii but does every game have to use motion control? I don't live alone and honestly think the "party" experience would blow for right now. I also know I'd get horribly annoyed having to move my arms around every so often when I just want to relax.[/QUOTE]
No, of course not. Some games are very... vigorous, like No More Heroes. Others, like Fire Emblem, don't even make an attempt at throwing in half-baked waggle.

[quote name='davo1224']I haven't ruled out the PS3 but I'm currently using a 1979 Zenith TV and a knockoff brand from the mid 90's for viewing.[/QUOTE]
I wholeheartedly approve.

[quote name='davo1224'] Some of my favorite games (to get a feel for what I like):
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World / Mario 64
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Mario Kart
007 Everything or Nothing
Zelda: Ocarina of Time[/QUOTE]
Well... if I'm not mistaken, all but two of those games can be played on the Wii in one form or another. Aside from that, though...
Most recent DK game on the Wii was a remake of a Donkey Kong bongo-based platformer whose name I forget. Ignore "Donkey Kong's Barrel Blast".
The Mario series, obviously, continues with Mario Galaxy. Good god damn game, that one. Motion control is there, but won't wear you out or anything.
Street Fighter-wise, you're gonna wanna go with the 360 or PS3. I've... never paid too much attention to fighters, though.
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 was made by Aki, who most recently did a Ready 2 Rumble game on the Wii... which got awful reviews, as I recall.
The Wii got a quick cash-grab Prince of Persia game at the very beginning of its life, but I'd recommend ignoring that. The 360 and PS3 did get a new, proper PoP, though it is not connected to the Sands of Time trilogy story-wise.
Mario Kart... well, obviously, Nintendo's pretty much the only game in town as far as that goes. Unless you wanna play, like, Crash Team Racing or something. Though for my money, Double Dash kicked the hell out of MK Wii.
And finally, Zelda-wise... obviously, the Wii has Twilight Princess. And the Metroid Prime trilogy, which I will mention because I consider Zelda a Metroidvania-type game anyway. And a good port of Okami. But, hell, it's not like you're going to be, y'know, lacking for this type of game regardless of what you pick.

Eh, most people are just gonna tell you to get a 360, so fuck it, whatever. Do what'cha want.

EDIT: And, yeah, might I recommend PC gaming? Starcraft and Planescape Torment have aged quite nicely!

A lot of the games on the games on Wii have some sort of motion control set in them. Not all of them make you shake it around like a wounded duck though, but they usually have some waggle in it because of its unconventional control scheme...unless you can use a gamecube controller or classic controller. Since most of your favorite titles seem to be Nintendo properties I don't see why you shouldn't get a Wii since they are keeping those franchises alive and kicking.

Honestly which ever you get will have something for you to play, the consoles we have in this current generation are pretty even despite all the bickering. Each console has its on skew though, like the Wiii has a strong focus on casual gaming (but yes they do have some "hardcore" games they just arent very many)It also has the Virtual Console where you can download a retro games and some new content through WiiWare.

The PS3 is very much skewed towards the graphics (which is why I dont blame you for not wanting to play it on and old SD tv) but since their online network is still relatively young then many games had a single player experience focus, although that is now changing a bit since the Playstation Network has been growing over the years.

The 360 is really good for online gaming. Not to say that it doesn't have good singleplayer games but sometimes it feels like you're not gettin the full experience if your not doing the online gaming stuff through Live. I am using a temp 360 till I pick up a replacement but I haven't had Live for over a year now and that also doesn't make me wanna play many of the games I have since they are mostly geared for the multiplayer experience....and yes it does feel like the majority of the games that come out for the 360 are shooters (there are plenty of non-shooters on the system so hopefully no one jumps on my back because of that last statement.)

If you're really into fighters, the ps3 has a better controller for it since it has a decent D-pad, the 360 D-pad is notoriously horrible. Wii doesn't get too many fighters but it will be getting Tatsunuko Vs. Capcom which looks like it will be AMAZING.

RPGs havent made a big splash on any system really. The only big RPG of this generation that I can think of was Fallout 3.

I mentioned it a little in the Wii part but all 3 systems have a very strong downloadable game library. I am sure whichever you end up getting you will be happy, which I am sure isn't what you want to hear but what can ya do? you're good either way you go

[quote name='insaneflyinbear']RPGs havent made a big splash on any system really. The only big RPG of this generation that I can think of was Fallout 3. [/QUOTE]
Even ignoring Mass Effect... Oblivion? Anyone?

EDIT: Davo, you'd probably be interested in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have a HDTV then get the Wii.

It has lots of different types of games, except for Shooters and RPGs which you said you don't like.

Not all games use lots of 'waggle' controls. It's mostly the party games that use them, so Grandma can play and not have to learn to use a controller. None of the classic virtual console downloadable games use them.

How long have you been out of gaming? Judging by your favs list, it looks like since the 16-bit/PlayStation gen. If so, my recommendation is to start by getting a PS2 and exploring its library.

From your list of game likes the Wii is probably the way to go with the current consoles. PS2 as mentioned by Gentelgamer isn't a bad idea. It's cheap, lots of cheap games, and has the largest game library of any console ever probably.

PS3 and 360 you'll not get as much bang for your buck with your old TVs. Not liking shooters or RPGs hurts as well--plenty of other games on both systems but that's a good chunk of the AAA games on both of those systems.

I've played current generation games, I just don't own them at home. I had a Gamecube with about every quality title for that console but had to sell it.

I've thought about buying a PS2 but is there much in the way of games like the ones I like? I always figured the majority was RPGs and a truckload of J-platformers. I have nothing against Anime but it seems like everything on that console short of sports games had some sort of Yu-Gi-Oh type element. I like fantasy in the case of one of my favorite games ever, Rayman 2, but meh to the other stuff. I've heard Klonoa is really good even if it looks silly to me.

Another important thing is that I won't have anyone to play with. I'll be flying solo for just about every game.

I'll need to start thinking of games for Xbox360 and Wii that interest me and then ask for suggestions as well as visiting Metacritic. I'm considering buying both now.

bread's done
Back