Getting back to an old hobby (Video Games)

Athanatoi

CAG Veteran
Hello,

I'm a 30+ year old guy who was at one point in time - a video game fan! I grew up with my Genesis, Super Nintendo and a Neo-Geo before I moved on to another hobby. I skipped the Playstation 1,2 and other related consoles, because I never really liked the "3-D" game concept, and of course the sudden "tired of the old to try something new" fever just creeped in.

Long and short, I'm married now and my days of being "out of the house" are over. So the prospects of returning to an old hobby is the best choice for me at the moment. Since, I grew up during the "arcade" and the "16/24 bit" era, my choices of games would be those that resemble my old play days.

I would be needing generous opinions in the area of starting all over again. Between the PS3 and the Xbox 360, which system would have a near perfect translation of arcade games like Street Fighter 4? (Is this still an issue?) I don't mind getting both if I have to, just as long as they still churn out "arcade" ports.

I sound really left out, so any advise will be greatly appreciated, and by the way I have a fairly old Panasonic 42 inch plasma (px500) that does 720p and 1080i. Is it still a "workable" display? Or should I roll for a new 1080p T.V already?

Thank you very much

Cheers.

P.S: I was directed to this site by a friend of mine.

Arcade ports aren't really an issue anymore, both the PS3 and XBox 360 have near perfect ports of SF4.

If you're looking for older games.. honestly, I would recommend the Wii for its Virtual Console lineup. NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Neo Geo, etc games are added every Monday. If you're looking for a full venture into current gaming, I would recommend a PS3. Not only do you get great new games, but it has a Blu-Ray player in there as well.

I would definitely go for a 1080p TV.

[quote name='Scorch']Arcade ports aren't really an issue anymore, both the PS3 and XBox 360 have near perfect ports of SF4.

If you're looking for older games.. honestly, I would recommend the Wii for its Virtual Console lineup. NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Neo Geo, etc games are added every Monday. If you're looking for a full venture into current gaming, I would recommend a PS3. Not only do you get great new games, but it has a Blu-Ray player in there as well.

I would definitely go for a 1080p TV.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply.

If the Wii has that feature, then it's a must buy for me. Though old games still have a substantial draw(simply because I miss them),I also don't mind trying out new games.

If "arcade" ports aren't an issue anymore, I guess I've been out for a long time and have really missed a lot.

I would say although the Wii is a good choice for old games the XBOX 360 is the way to go. Not only does it offer old arcade style games via XBOX Live (downloadable games) it has the games you are looking for like Street Fighter IV. The Wii doesn't have SFIV currently.

The 360 has updated Arcade games like Pac-Man championship edition which is a new take on an old game. It also has some great arcade ports, some classics re-imagined like Bionic Commando Rearmed, and some new 2D games like Mega Man 9 and Castle Crashers.

The XBOX 360 will also take advantage of your TV where as the Wii will only do 480p. 1080p is nice...but you don't NEED to upgrade...and you'll be happy with what the 360 does at 720p or 1080i.

1) Don't get a new TV. That's completely unnecessary.

2) All three major systems have the ability to download classic games onto the console and play them. I would suggest determining which classics you want the most and pick the console that best supports your desires.

3) If you have ANY chance of:

Being interested in giving new-age games a try
Giving blue-ray movies a try
Giving online gaming a try
Wanting a media center for your home theater

Then you should mention that in this thread so we can guide you towards a console that best supports your needs.

[quote name='Athanatoi']Thank you for the reply.

If the Wii has that feature, then it's a must buy for me. Though old games still have a substantial draw(simply because I miss them),I also don't mind trying out new games.

If "arcade" ports aren't an issue anymore, I guess I've been out for a long time and have really missed a lot.[/QUOTE]

you haven't missed a damn thing. the 16bit days are far superior then what we get these days, so you haven't missed a thing.

go for the wii, not only will you have old generation of games from 8bit to 64bits to play but you'll also get to experience new game experiences with both motion controllers and classic controllers. it's the best of both worlds.

for the best bang for your buck I would go with the 360. Largest selection of games, plays DVD's, can be used as a media center, pretty affordable, etc... Although, if money is no option then the PS3 should be your choice.

I would go with a 360 and download some Xbox Live Arcade games. There are tons of direct ports of old arcade games, as well as remakes of classics like Pacman C.E..

There are also new games being released, and a lot of the new Live Arcade games are very similar to the kinds of games you are used to. Castle Crashers, for example, is a lot like the side scrolling beat-em up games.

But I'd also suggest giving new games a shot, gaming has come so far since you've been playing, and there are all kinds of great games that don't require you to be a hardcore gamer.

Also, get sonic's ultimate genesis collection!

Thank you for the advise, just to further my post:

Yes, blu-ray is a good thing but I have a dedicated blu-ray player already. However, I just noticed my plasma has only 1 HDMI input, so the need for a 2 in 1 console (gaming/blu-ray) becomes a priority to make full use of that 1 port(PS3 comes to mind). Now, if I get an Xbox 360 as well, that unit will be connected via components. Will the high-def output of 720p via components do just as well as if it were connected via HDMI?

I noticed that most of you fine folks advise me to stick to my current t.v. And yes, I won't upgrade until I'm really back into the hobby, so for now 720p/1080i will do. Unless, 1080p is miles apart from 720p/1080i...

I would also like to try on-line console gaming, so are there any good "arcade" oriented on-line capable games out there for any of the systems currently available?

Again, thank you.

@pochaccoheaven

Really? That makes me feel better. Thanks.

@everybody

By the way I forgot to mention that the games I play back then were as follows:

1) Street Fighter series (SNES)
2) Final Fight (SNES)
3) Robocop vs Terminator - one of my all time favorites (SNES/Genesis)
4) Castlevania - IV and the Genesis Castlevania - My favorite series (SNES/Genesis)
5) Fatal Fury/King of Fighters/Art of Fighting (Neo-Geo Gold)
6) Batman Returns (SNES)

- Sorry, if these games may sound and seem too old for some of you.

I have a lot more on my mind and will check my stuffs later or tomorrow. Yes, I still have them and may bring them out of my storage room just for nostalgic purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're not opposed to getting a portable system I would recommend a Nintendo DS (or DSi). It has a lot of quality software for it and a lot of the games remind me of old school type 16 bit games. In fact, if you don't go with the DSi (and just get a regular DS or DS Lite), you can play GBA games on the system as well. The GBA basically carried the 16 bit torch in the modern era :) The GBA was essentially a portable SNES to me.

OP, I think a combo of a 360 and a DS would be perfect for you.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']you haven't missed a damn thing. the 16bit days are far superior then what we get these days, so you haven't missed a thing. [/QUOTE]

Enjoy Bonk's Adventure while I play Mass Effect and Uncharted.

[quote name='Josef']If you're not opposed to getting a portable system I would recommend a Nintendo DS (or DSi). It has a lot of quality software for it and a lot of the games remind me of old school type 16 bit games. In fact, if you don't go with the DSi (and just get a regular DS or DS Lite), you can play GBA games on the system as well. The GBA basically carried the 16 bit torch in the modern era :) The GBA was essentially a portable SNES to me.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but can we connect that to a T.V?

[quote name='Collectordragon']I still use my 32-inch SDTV from 1997. There's really no pressing reason to upgrade to 1080p especially when you have an HDTV already.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I don't think there's a reason for you to upgrade to a 1080p tv. Most games today only output at 720p anyway. Also check out this chart:
resolution_chart.png

If you're more than 7' away from your tv, you won't even be able to notice the higher resolution.

As for system, I would go for a wii since you can get all the classic games as mentioned. If you want to try something new, I would go for the 360 because of the huge library.

[quote name='Athanatoi']Sure, but can we connect that to a T.V?

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no. But it's good if you're on the go, traveling, laying in bed, or wherever.

[quote name='Scorch']Arcade ports aren't really an issue anymore, both the PS3 and XBox 360 have near perfect ports of SF4.

I would definitely go for a 1080p TV.[/QUOTE]

To clarify this, if you go Wii you definitely do not need 1080p. It only outputs 480p. If you choose PS3 wait for the inevitable price drop to come later this year.

Ordered a PS3 already along with Street Fighter 4, a few more questions:

1) Since, I don't know the version of my T.V's HDMI port will any HDMI cable do?

2) I'll be getting an Xbox 360 and a Wii as well, could component cables output 720p for the box and 480p for the wii respectively?

3) Is it still worth getting a PS2? Because I may include that on my purchase.

Also, I heard a new King of Fighters is coming out along with a new castlevania game. Hope they retain the game play that made me like them back then.

One more thing, is it safe to play on a plasma? I heard "burn-in" is no longer an issue with plasma models from the 5th generation panel up, and my T.V is an 8th generation panel, just making sure.

Many many thanks guys.

Cheers.

1) Since, I don't know the version of my T.V's HDMI port will any HDMI cable do?

-Any HDMI cable should work. Don't be fooled by expensive ones, they are the same as the cheap ones as they are digital. Go to monoprice.com for any cables you need.

2) I'll be getting an Xbox 360 and a Wii as well, could component cables output 720p for the box and 480p for the wii respectively?

-I could be wrong, but I think component cables only output to 480p. You would need HDMI to go higher. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

3) Is it still worth getting a PS2? Because I may include that on my purchase.

-PS2 games are definitely still worth it. Some PS3s can play PS2 titles, you may want to see if the one you ordered has that feature. Being able to experience PS2 era gaming is certainly a must.

Also, I heard a new King of Fighters is coming out along with a new castlevania game. Hope they retain the game play that made me like them back then.

-When you get your 360, make sure you get Castlevania: Symphony of the Night off of XBLA for $10. It is an old PSX game and happens to be one of the best games ever made. It plays more like Metroid than the Castlevanias that you are probably used to though. Also, the 3D Castlevanias have been extremely lackluster. IMO the only really good Castlevania games since SotN have been on Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS.

One more thing, is it safe to play on a plasma? I heard "burn-in" is no longer an issue with plasma models from the 5th generation panel up, and my T.V is an 8th generation panel, just making sure.

-Your TV will be fine as long as you don't leave it on the same image for an extremely long extended period of time (like hours upon hours, possibly days)3

Hope this helps.

1) Yes, they should all work fine

2) Yes, although if your TV has a VGA port, that would be the better for the Xbox in my opinion.

3) It can be worth it, depending on how good of a deal you can get on a PS2, and how intent you are on catching up with all the games you've missed. I personally would've searched craigslist and similar sites for a Backwards Compatible PS3 before purchasing, but it seems you've already passed that point.

- Castlevania is going to be in 3D, and the series has always had a bad history with it's 3D iterations. If you want some Castlevania with the old-school feel but a fresh take, look into getting the Castlevania games on the DS. Also look for Symphony of the Night on PS1 (or the Playstation Store, once you get your PS3).

I can't offer much help with Plasmas; I've only heard about them, and never owned one myself. I'd say don't play games with a HUD for over 2 hours without taking a break. Also, if you have to pause the game for long periods of time, turn the T.V. off but leave the system running.

Good luck catching up on all those games

@ChaoticClimax

Thank you for the information, I'll get that Castlevania as soon as my Xbox 360 arrives. Placed an order for the box just today as well.

@lolwut?

About the VGA connection you mentioned for the 360, will that be equivalent to my T.V's PC input? Anyway, I'll use the PC input if component cables do not output 720p for my plasma.

Thank you.

My T.V specs just for reference:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/463496142/panasonic-th-42px500u

It's an old Panasonic plasma that's not being sold anymore, because it's obviously phased out already.

Component cables WILL output 720p. Since your TV doesn't do 1080p I wouldn't worry about which system you hook up with HDMI unless you're using a surround sound receiver with HDMI passthrough.

[quote name='neocisco']Component cables WILL output 720p. Since your TV doesn't do 1080p I wouldn't worry about which system you hook up with HDMI unless you're using a surround sound receiver with HDMI passthrough.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I'll connect the PS3 via HDMI and the 360 along with the wii by components.

I'm not into "sounds" that much so a digital audio device is not needed.

If you're a big Castlevania fan you need to get a DS. It's the only system that's been getting new 2D Castlevanias over the last few years.

[quote name='ohboy10451']component does output to 720p.[/QUOTE]

Thank you

[quote name='Josef']If you're a big Castlevania fan you need to get a DS. It's the only system that's been getting new 2D Castlevanias over the last few years.[/QUOTE]

I'll be getting one too.

Just an update:

My PS3 came in today and I hooked it up to my plasma via HDMI, everything seems to work fine. The system updated, and the game: Street Fighter 4 had some sort of an update as well. I miss the plug and play route but the updates did not take long, so it was not really a big deal.

Gaming was great! I'm enjoying myself, and I'm looking forward to my 360,wii along with the DS.

Sure, I think I really missed out on a lot of "home" fun.

My wife says she will take care of all the gaming expenses, long as I get home early.

Thank you very much guys!

By the way, I'll try to listen to the much talked about "CAGCAST" and see what it's all about.

Any suggestions on new games for the ps3,360 and wii would be appreciated.

Cheers.

[quote name='Athanatoi']@lolwut?

About the VGA connection you mentioned for the 360, will that be equivalent to my T.V's PC input? Anyway, I'll use the PC input if component cables do not output 720p for my plasma.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the PC input. That's the better route to go rather than component. They will both do 720p, but the PC port will leave you with with a sharper picture and probably less input lag.

[quote name='lolwut?']Yes, the PC input. That's the better route to go rather than component. They will both do 720p, but the PC port will leave you with with a sharper picture and probably less input lag.[/QUOTE]

i sometimes get a good laugh from peoples post sometimes. read this guys post for instance, is it the entertainment he/she trying to get from the box or the technology of the box that entertains the person? it seems the latter, he goes from component and going to vga port for the best overall quality. technology is his entertainment, pretty depressing buying a system not for the pure entertainment of the software but the technology of the system. they love eye candy.

basically, is having 1080p and 720p going to change the game in any way? the answer is shockingly no.

i told you the truth when i said you weren't missing anything in gaming when you skipped out after the 16bit days. it seems gaming has gone into tech craze.

Now that you have your PS3, don't neglect the ability to download free game demos instantly via the Playstation Store.

This would be a great way for you to get familiar with new genres and games to see what you like.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']i sometimes get a good laugh from peoples post sometimes. read this guys post for instance, is it the entertainment he/she trying to get from the box or the technology of the box that entertains the person? it seems the latter, he goes from component and going to vga port for the best overall quality. technology is his entertainment, pretty depressing buying a system not for the pure entertainment of the software but the technology of the system. they love eye candy.

basically, is having 1080p and 720p going to change the game in any way? the answer is shockingly no.

i told you the truth when i said you weren't missing anything in gaming when you skipped out after the 16bit days. it seems gaming has gone into tech craze.[/QUOTE]

lol, you sometimes get a good laugh from people's posts sometimes?

I read your post twice looking for anything that resembled a point but I was disappointed when I came up with nothing.

Would you have laughed at someone for suggesting that you use A/V cables over an RF one on your SNES? I like how you come to the completely false conclusion that because I suggested a different cable to the OP, I only play games for the tech, and not entertainment.

There's such an overwhelming amount of fail in your post.

[quote name='Athanatoi']
My wife says she will take care of all the gaming expenses, long as I get home early.
[/QUOTE]

What does that mean?

@pochaccoheaven & lolwut?

Both have good points and thank you for the generous informations.

@road3283

Yes, I'll check those demo's. Thanks.

@willardhaven

Simply means, she will take care of all game payments. It's a hobby that allows me to stay home. Anyway, with or without games I should be home early after work and stay home more often during weekends - Married life obligations.

A lot of posts here have you going nuts and buying tons of systems. My advice is a little different:proceed slowly. You should go through one game at a time, deciding if you like it enough to beat it, then sell it or play it. Don't build up a huge backlog like most of us have here.

Also, there is no major reason to own a 360 since you have a PS3, this is coming from someone who owns a 360 exclusively. You should be focused on your PS3, but I really would have started with the PS2, you missed one of the best consoles in history.

[quote name='willardhaven']A lot of posts here have you going nuts and buying tons of systems. My advice is a little different:proceed slowly. You should go through one game at a time, deciding if you like it enough to beat it, then sell it or play it. Don't build up a huge backlog like most of us have here.

Also, there is no major reason to own a 360 since you have a PS3, this is coming from someone who owns a 360 exclusively. You should be focused on your PS3, but I really would have started with the PS2, you missed one of the best consoles in history.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Could you run down a good top ten "must have" games for the PS2, for starters?

Many thanks again.

Some of the PS3 games are just graphical updates of PS2 games, so if you get Devil May Cry 4 or Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction you are basically playing an HD ps2 game.

The PS2 had some great games though:
Onimusha Demon Seige (samurai action with zombies and monsters)
Devil May Cry 1 (stylish action horror with guns and swords)
Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal (super mario meets contra)
Jak and Daxter (traditional 3d platformer like mario)
Jak 2 (super mario meets grand theft auto)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (stealing cars in an open 3d NY setting)
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (stealthy platforming)
Kingdom Hearts (disney fantasy game with sword fighting)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (stealth action)
Zone of the Enders 2 (stylized high-speed robot action)
Final Fantasy X (turn-based medieval fantasy game)
Tales of the Abyss (see above, only battles are action)
Shadow of the Colossus (action game that is very artsy fartsy, you fight giant monsters that are the size of your whole TV or bigger)

[quote name='Athanatoi']Thanks.

Could you run down a good top ten "must have" games for the PS2, for starters?

Many thanks again.[/QUOTE]

it's almost impossible to compose a top 10 list for the ps2, as there is just so much software. but, there are two games that should be automatically be a top 10, god of war 1 and god of war 2. the rest of the 8 games are very debatable. some may also consider ico and shadow of the colossus as a top 10, which still leaves 6 games that are questionable for the list.

hey lolwut, do you prefer blu-ray or dvd? i'm assuming the former right!

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it's almost impossible to compose a top 10 list for the ps2, as there is just so much software. but, there are two games that should be automatically be a top 10, god of war 1 and god of war 2. the rest of the 8 games are very debatable. some may also consider ico and shadow of the colossus as a top 10, which still leaves 6 games that are questionable for the list.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. GoW 1 and 2 are must haves. Metal Gear Solid and the sequels were also good games, but it really depends if you're into that style. IMO Kingdom Hearts should not be in that list, I've tried playing that game three times and it's just ended in frustration.

Now, I'm assuming you haven't played any FPS's since you quit gaming. If so, I'd highly recommend Halo:Combat Evolved for the Xbox (will work on the 360 I believe), it's really a great, yet simple FPS, and well, it's hard not to see the legacy it created. Halo was the first FPS I ever played (I actually played the PC version on my IBM laptop, everything on lowest settings, and still the video stuttered in every major battle. :lol:) and it really got me into the genre.

You can get some classic games on the PSN, and they are pretty reasonable.

Try Buzz Quiz, it's a fun game you can play with the family.

[quote name='Athanatoi']Thank you for the advise, just to further my post:

Yes, blu-ray is a good thing but I have a dedicated blu-ray player already. However, I just noticed my plasma has only 1 HDMI input, so the need for a 2 in 1 console (gaming/blu-ray) becomes a priority to make full use of that 1 port(PS3 comes to mind). Now, if I get an Xbox 360 as well, that unit will be connected via components. Will the high-def output of 720p via components do just as well as if it were connected via HDMI?

I noticed that most of you fine folks advise me to stick to my current t.v. And yes, I won't upgrade until I'm really back into the hobby, so for now 720p/1080i will do. Unless, 1080p is miles apart from 720p/1080i...

I would also like to try on-line console gaming, so are there any good "arcade" oriented on-line capable games out there for any of the systems currently available?

Again, thank you.

@pochaccoheaven

Really? That makes me feel better. Thanks.

@everybody

By the way I forgot to mention that the games I play back then were as follows:

1) Street Fighter series (SNES)
2) Final Fight (SNES)
3) Robocop vs Terminator - one of my all time favorites (SNES/Genesis)
4) Castlevania - IV and the Genesis Castlevania - My favorite series (SNES/Genesis)
5) Fatal Fury/King of Fighters/Art of Fighting (Neo-Geo Gold)
6) Batman Returns (SNES)

- Sorry, if these games may sound and seem too old for some of you.

I have a lot more on my mind and will check my stuffs later or tomorrow. Yes, I still have them and may bring them out of my storage room just for nostalgic purposes.[/QUOTE]

Good choice, as for the games... There's Castlevania Chronicles (5.99) and Castlevania symphony of the night 9.99 (both available via PSN), there's also a new King of Fighters (KOF XII) coming out this month (June 30th I think), for Batman, there's Batman: Gotham Asylum coming out soon. Final Fight.. there's a easy way to get that on your PS3 along with any SNES, Genesis game, but that would mean installing Linux onto your PS3 (after partitioning your hard drive) if you're interested in that, I would suggest partitioning your hard drive and leaving that extra space available for a future linux instill which would help you gettin gsome of those old games directly. If you like Super Off Road, then I would suggest getting Motorstorm, (or motorstorm 2) both are basic racing games and they're a lot of fun.

[quote name='fridge']Component cables can output 720p and 1080i.[/QUOTE]

do you think that the 1080i / 720p would look better via component, or via HDMI? I've been switching back and forth between component and HDMI for my PS3 trying to see if there's a difference, but I haven't noticed any. What do you think?

[quote name='Thomas96']Good choice, as for the games... There's Castlevania Chronicles (5.99) and Castlevania symphony of the night 9.99 (both available via PSN), there's also a new King of Fighters (KOF XII) coming out this month (June 30th I think), for Batman, there's Batman: Gotham Asylum coming out soon. Final Fight.. there's a easy way to get that on your PS3 along with any SNES, Genesis game, but that would mean installing Linux onto your PS3 (after partitioning your hard drive) if you're interested in that, I would suggest partitioning your hard drive and leaving that extra space available for a future linux instill which would help you gettin gsome of those old games directly. If you like Super Off Road, then I would suggest getting Motorstorm, (or motorstorm 2) both are basic racing games and they're a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

I saw previews of the new Batman and King of Fighters, looks like I'm just in time.

So far it's good to be back.

Thank you.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']hey lolwut, do you prefer blu-ray or dvd? i'm assuming the former right![/QUOTE]

Blu by miles. If you say there isn't that big of a difference, there is no saving you.

[quote name='Thomas96']do you think that the 1080i / 720p would look better via component, or via HDMI? I've been switching back and forth between component and HDMI for my PS3 trying to see if there's a difference, but I haven't noticed any. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

I know you weren't asking me, but I would say HDMI. If you can't tell the difference, use whatever floats your boat. What kind of TV do you have?

And to the OP, as others have said, picking a top 10 for PS2 is really hard, but here are some I would suggest:

God of War 1 and 2 (I just beat 2 last night; I'm psyched for #3)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (The only one I completed all the way, and the best of PS2 IMO)
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (Not a huge fan of RPGs, but I loved these)
Resident Evil 4 (Get it on here, unless you get a Wii)
Guilty Gear X2 (Very unique and awesome fighting game)
Onimusha
Devil May Cry
Katarmari Damacy

Those are just some I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd reccomend a 360, maybe a Wii if you really want the old Nintendo games.

TV is fine. I have a newer TV that only does 720p and 1080i as well. Games look amazing on it.

Unless you're a videophile and are sitting closer than 8-10 feet away you won't notice much differnce from 1080p on a 42" or even 50" set anyway (see chart below)

I mean get 1080p if you are wanting a new TV anyway, but don't run out and buy one just because you think you need 1080p for gaming.

resolution_chart.jpg

The TV you currently own will do just fine (since you want to kick it old-school-style with the arcade games, anyway), but if you truly feel the need to enhance the experience, just in case you want to give the newer generation games a chance, I'd invest in a flat screen LCD. Not too big, I suppose-- my 37 inch has been great to me.

As for the console of choice, I'd most definitely go with the Xbox 360 since it has a bunch of old school coin-op classics available to download via XBLA; just to name a few:

Castlevania
Mega Man 9
Contra or Super Contra
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Super Street Fighter II HD or Hyper Fighting
Galaga
Gauntlet
Paperboy
Pac-man
Metal Slug 3

Then there is the modern style of games with the old school feel/style:

Castle Crashers
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Geometry Wars
Braid
Aegis Wing

You can see the entire XBLA list of games here.

The only thing that sucks is that you wont be seeing the traditional Super Mario games available for download, but other than that, it sounds like the 360 would be just right.

[quote name='lolwut?']Blu by miles. If you say there isn't that big of a difference, there is no saving you.

I know you weren't asking me, but I would say HDMI. If you can't tell the difference, use whatever floats your boat. What kind of TV do you have?

And to the OP, as others have said, picking a top 10 for PS2 is really hard, but here are some I would suggest:

God of War 1 and 2 (I just beat 2 last night; I'm psyched for #3)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (The only one I completed all the way, and the best of PS2 IMO)
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (Not a huge fan of RPGs, but I loved these)
Resident Evil 4 (Get it on here, unless you get a Wii)
Guilty Gear X2 (Very unique and awesome fighting game)
Onimusha
Devil May Cry
Katarmari Damacy

Those are just some I can think of off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

I have a westinghouse TV.. 720p/1080i - I have the PS3 hooked up w/ both HDMI and component, I was switching between both of them, there seems to be a minor difference, but I could be imagining things. Overall, not a big difference.

bread's done
Back