Getting into Mass Effect..

madcyantist

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
I would like to enter the Mass Effect world but was wondering if it was better to buy the original release of the Platinum Hits? I see the Platinum Hits offers bonus content, is that DLC off the XBL network? Is it worth playing?

I am going through the same thing

The bonus DLC that is on the platinum disc for Mass Effect 1 is like 80 points on the marketplace, but the bonus disc also has other content on it. For mass effect 2 you want to get a new copy or one that guarantees a new cerberus network code in it because the code costs like $15 on the XBL marketplace. The game is only 19.99 on amazon so you definitely want a new one.

If you buy dragon age origin ultimate edition, you also get a code for mass effect 2, I don't know what the code is or what it does but it comes with new copies of the game, so make sure you get a new one or one with unused code if you want that.

The best DLC is "Bring Down the Sky" for 80 MS or available on the PH disc. I really enjoy that mission and it gets you some great armor/weapon for finishing it. It also gives some screen time to a specific alien race that'll you'll see more in Mass Effect 2. Just skip Pinnacle station. It's really annoying arena combat is easily the worst part of the entire Mass Effect 1 package.

I also have to agree that "Bring Down The Sky" is well worth getting for Mass Effect 1. In fact, there's an amusing counterpoint to the situation from BDTS that comes up in Mass Effect 2 with one of the DLC episodes.

Mass Effect 2 really needs a new purchase because the Cerberus Network DLC gives you an in-game NPC, additional weapons and a few additional missions. One highly recommended to get new and also well worth getting all the DLC along with it. Especially "Kasumi's Stolen Memory", which gets you another NPC and a very useful weapon upgrade, as well as "Lair Of The Shadow Broker", which gets you a new biotic power, some additional items and a very useful ability to re-spec your teammates. LoTSB is also a fantastic piece of DLC on its own from a story perspective.

Just a note from someone who recently played (and beat) ME1 for the first time. There is no free mode after you beat the game, which means you'll likely want to play any/all DLC before you head to Ilos.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']Just a note from someone who recently played (and beat) ME1 for the first time. There is no free mode after you beat the game, which means you'll likely want to play any/all DLC before you head to Ilos.[/QUOTE]Good point to bring up.

Something they happily fixed in ME2.

The first thing you need to know is that Mass Effect 1 is the best game of all time. Ever.

The second thing is that I played Bring Down the Sky when it first came out and enjoyed it. Played it again at a higher level later on (actually a couple years later) and it was even more fun than the first time.

Pinnacle Station stumped me originally. I got it, got my butt handed to me and walked away. But, when I came back to it at a higher level I had a blast with it. Lots of fun and worth the money for the DLC, no question.

Enjoy the game! There are a few super-hardcore ME fans on the ME2 and ME3 boards, so feel free to hit up the gang with questions.

Also, Bring Down the Sky becomes so much more meaningful when you play through ME2 and the last DLC mission titled "The Arrival", which I wholeheartedly recommend.

I started playing ME1 but just couldn't get into it.

I'm going to try again in the near future since it's one of those games that everyone seems to love.

I'm not really a ME1 fan, however one of my favorite games of all time is ME2. I have a feeling that after beating the 2nd one and all the DLC, I've "matured" enough to play through the original. All I remember from ME1 is that there was a whole lot of talking and riding in elevators haha.

I just got Mass Effect 2 from an ebay seller who guaranteed an unused code and it says you have to redeem the cerberus code by Jan 1st 2012 just a heads up, I have no idea if it actually expires but that is what mine says.

[quote name='Nealocus123']I'm not really a ME1 fan, however one of my favorite games of all time is ME2. I have a feeling that after beating the 2nd one and all the DLC, I've "matured" enough to play through the original. All I remember from ME1 is that there was a whole lot of talking and riding in elevators haha.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I played and finished ME1 way back when and I thought it was just OK. I didn't really know what I was doing though and I only figured out that you could use "magic" (the biotics) like 20 minutes before finishing the game so that's probably on me. ME2 was freaking amazing though.

i recently started playing mass effect and ive had it for about 2 years.i have a decent backlog of games and im done with those and now since ive started playing me i even went out and bought me2 even though im not done with 1.an incredible game for sure

bread's done
Back