Getting my PS3 Slim by the end of the week...where to start?

japatten

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I just bought my PS3 Slim from a fellow CAGer, and it'll be in by the end of the week. My question is this: what should I buy? I want to spend $28 on a game tops (It's all I have in my Paypal account, right now + 9 cents :p) Where should I start, and is there anything I should know?

I guess that would require finding a place that takes PayPal and also offers good deals. I'd recommend Wipeout HD with the Fury expansion but that's on PSN.

You'll need an HDMI cable if the seller didn't include one (assuming your TV/monitor has that resolution).

Killer Titles at $20
MGS 4
Ratchet and Clank TOD
Fallout 3
Valkyria Chronicles

Awesome at $30
Borderlands
Demon's Souls

Uncharted 2 is a fun but short game (makes you feel like you are in a Indiana Jones type movie) so I would go for a rental.)

Tip: Your PS3 Hard drive can play .mp4, .avi, and .wmv movie files either stored directly on the HD or through an external USB HD or thumbdrive.

Tip+:For reviews on any of these games, IGN.com or Gamefaqs will give you all the info.

Tip++: Don't pay more than $40 for an extra controller, they can be found on here/ around black Friday for super cheap.

One more thing, keep your specs on Amazon for the rest of the week, all DOTDs and lightning deals are HD video/Next Gen Game related. Right now Final Fantasy is the DOTD for example

Congrats! I just got one too. I have the same budget you do (only games < $30) and came up with the following list:

Little Big Planet: Not finished, I like it
Uncharted: Finished and liked
inFamous: Not finished, I like it A LOT
Metal Gear Solid 4: Haven't started yet
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction: Haven't started yet

Get one of the Greatest Hits games
Uncharted
MGS4 (if you played the other MGS games)
Little Big Planet GOTY Version
Killzone 2
Infamous

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']

Uncharted 2 is a fun but short game (makes you feel like you are in a Indiana Jones type movie) so I would go for a rental.)

[/QUOTE]

If any game was worth a purchase, it would be Uncharted 2. It is by far the best game ever created, with a fantastic story, gameplay, voice-acting, music, etc. Not only do you get the best single experience ever that will last 10 hours or so (and it is easily worth 2-3 playthroughs), but you get multiplayer which I've easily but in 30-40+ hours into as well. Uncharted 2 is anything but a rental my friend.

If you have to start of with a game though, get something that lasts a little longer. Uncharted 2 is still not in that $28 range, and Uncharted 1 will last you roughly 8hrs with no multiplayer. My suggestion is LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, Motorstorm, God of War: Collection, either Ratchet and Clank, etc. There are so many more great games out there though, depending on your likes. I suggest you do your own research though...no one knows what you like here, so only you can make the choice.

P.S. We are not CAGers....We are CAGs (cheapassgamers), not cheapassgamer'ers. I still can't figure out why people are throwing the "er" to the end...it doesn't make any sense.

As a first PS3 game, I'd probably go with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. When that game first came out, it blew my mind.

The first in the Uncharted series is a decent third-person-shooter, but it doesn't even compare to the movie-esque experience that is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

That being said, I'd go with Metal Gear.

No one should go through life without playing Uncharted 2. Seriously it's my 1 favorite game of the last decade and thats saying a lot since I thought the last decade or so was the golden age of gaming.

1. Uncharted 2 (big action, crazy good graphics, addictive gameplay, and sweet online Multiplayer. What more can you ask for?)
2. Little Big Planet (if you're into that kind of game, personally I think Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 is way better in terms of plat forming gameplay)
3. Metal Gear Solid 4 (I can only recommend this game now that it's 15-20 bucks new. IMO it's the worst game in the series. Plus side the graphics are amazing for it's time although other games on the PS3 now have way better graphics. The biggest fault of this game is that the story and gameplay was just lacking compared to previous games in the series)
4. Dead Space (buy this game! and it's cheap too!)
5. God of War 3 (insane level of scale, some of the best graphics ever, great gameplay, and easily one of the best beatum up-action games ever made).

Last edited by a moderator:
Two words that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread as of yet: DEMON'S SOULS!!

It's a hard(frustrating is more like it)RPG game but is well worth the price of admission.

It's currently down to $29.99 NEW at Gamestop. Link: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74981

Also, if you can get a bit more money scraped up, I'd definitely also suggest Red Dead Redemption. It's a Western themed game with a story that's like something outta a Clint Eastwood movie.

Furthermore, if you're looking for a God Of War clone that's cheaper in price already, I'd also suggest Darksiders.

tl;dr version of my suggestions(in the order I'd buy them): Demon's Souls, Darksiders, Red Dead Redemption.

I own all three and all have a sufficient level of challenge to them. Are they all MUST HAVES? Not really. But that's up to you to determine on your own.

I'd definitely go with getting some games off PSN. Blu-ray games generally trump them, but they're much more expensive (well, when you take into consideration the gameshares that are available for PSN titles).

[quote name='Anjexu']I'd definitely go with getting some games off PSN. Blu-ray games generally trump them, but they're much more expensive (well, when you take into consideration the gameshares that are available for PSN titles).[/QUOTE]
The only problem is that some of the PSN titles are not shareable and many of those titles are way overpriced when compared to physical Blu-Ray games you could get on clearance.

Within the last 3-7 days I've picked up somewhere around 5-6 titles for $30, whereas just two of the bigger name add-on packs for popular titles or full game PSN titles would cost me the same as those 5-6 full retail packaging games that I have resell rights to.

Although, one game on PSN I would definitely recommend to the OP would be Mortal Kombat II. It's only $5 and well worth the price of admission. The others....eh not so much.

bread's done
Back