Getting ready to graduate in a year - job questions!

hopesfall

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Ok, so I have a somewhat unique situation. I am done with undergrad in a year, and then I'll be finishing up my grad program in a year after that. Both are in mathematics. However, I am starting to get a little bit nervous about jobs. Mainly, I did not graduate from high school, and I am not sure how to handle it if it comes up in job interviews. I didn't have any problems with my internship, but I'm sure it will come up at some point, and I'd like to be prepared.

Just so you guys don't think I'm some bum, I do have a 3.85 (out of 4) GPA and I am a research assistant for a hedge fund in Chicago, so I've done pretty well given the circumstances. I've also done an actuarial exam (grades are posted July 13?) and take my first CFA exam in December. I'm really interested in looking at derivatives trading, but I have no hands-on experience with it. Help me make myself look like a stud to the employers! :) Thanks!

IMO you should get your CMA (Certified Management Account) certification, from what I've heard its a nice compliment if your in a finance related major because it reflects to your future employers that you got some accounting expertise. High correlation between accounting hours and employment or so my bastard professors tell me. Your university may offer a discount to sit for the exam and its a 4 part examination but more details are on their site:

http://www.imanet.org/certification.asp

[quote name='lordwow']How'd you get into undergrad without getting a HS Diploma or equivalent?[/quote]

I do have the "equivalent" (GED) but the look on people's faces when I say those letters is not very encouraging...

My path was GED -> Community college -> Final 2 years at a 4-yr. university.

[quote name='hopesfall']I do have the "equivalent" (GED) but the look on people's faces when I say those letters is not very encouraging...

My path was GED -> Community college -> Final 2 years at a 4-yr. university.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why you even need to put that on your resume? I don't (the only education I put on is my candidacy for my BA). Once you have a Grad School degree, you definitely shouldn't need to put HS on there. It's a "given."

Congrats on getting the GED and continuing your education. Most people get the GED just to say they finished high school. As someone said above, just don't list the GED on your resume. Only list your 4 yr and then grad school degrees. Just curious , what 4 yr school did you graduate from?

[quote name='lordwow']I don't understand why you even need to put that on your resume? I don't (the only education I put on is my candidacy for my BA). Once you have a Grad School degree, you definitely shouldn't need to put HS on there. It's a "given."[/quote]

It certainly wouldn't go on the resume (the GED/HS), but employers (at least to this point) have all had at least some mention of it on their applications or internal paperwork at interviews. I wish it weren't a big deal, and in reality I may be more nervous about it than I need to be, but it isn't something I'm necessarily proud of, you know? I can always point to what I've done after the GED as a sign that I've "improved", but I just hate to think that it could end up being a sticking point for some employers.

You're not even supposed to list your high school/GED on your resume once you are a sophomore in college. So don't even worry about it with your GPA. I really doubt they'll care considering your performance in college.

In all honesty, your GPA doesn't matter too much, either. Most don't care as long as you have above a 3.0 or 3.5.

Nothing about your high school should be on your resume. If it comes up in an interview be honest - very important.

I think a unique path like yours, along with your college and professional performance, can more impressive as it shows determination.

You should never list high school stuff on a resume. I know what you mean about the application, but that would be given in you're already in the door in the interview process. There you can dazzle them not with the fact that you ONLY have your GED, but with the fact that you were DETERMINED to excell in education, despite some obstacles. It's all about spin, baby.

bread's done
Back