Getting rid of used DVDs... best way?

fretster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I have a ton of DVDs, all in great shape (CML if you want) and I know I'm not going to sell all of them on here. I don't really like hassling with eBay for 3-5 dollar items, so I was wondering if there are any chains of stores that buy used DVDs, or where the best place to go would be that would give me a decent price on them. I know I'm not going to retire from selling them at a store, but it would be nice just to have them gone.

I live in Seattle, WA for reference.

Thanks!

If you have them in your area, Half Price Books is a good place to go when you have no other options. They'll definitely lowball you on everything, but when you have a mass quantity you want to get rid of, they'll take anything. I imagine they give at least a few bucks per DVD, given the supply and demand of course. That is where I'd go if you just have a ton and want it over and done with fast.

[quote name='Megalith']Is there anything that FYE won't take?

I'm still thinking about whether or not I want to unload my entire DVD collection. They still upscale damn well.

And does FYE take CDs from membership clubs?[/quote]

My FYE location wouldn't take some movies (Hostel, Million Dollar Baby) because of the amount they already had used in stock. And it was true, I was looking at those titles on the shelf and there were like 6+ copies of both already.

Also they are very picky about scratches, even minor ones, which I guess is good in a way because they don't sell DVDs that will probably skip if someone were to buy them used there.

I have been using Dvdplanet for years, there is nothing fishy about them. The only thing is that you have to ship the dvds yourself and you don't get reimbursed for the shipping. They only give online credit, no cash. But they do give the best prices and great service. I got my entire Blu-ray collection from them by trading in my standard dvds.

Great service, no complaints.

[quote name='Megalith']

And does FYE take CDs from membership clubs?[/quote]

It's YMMV on that. Usually if the club cd has a barcode on it they will, if the cd doesn't, they can look it up, but most employees won't/

[quote name='briansraregames']It's YMMV on that. Usually if the club cd has a barcode on it they will, if the cd doesn't, they can look it up, but most employees won't/[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I got $130 in cash a week ago with 45 DVD's and went through my cd collection and will net about $60 in credit on about 20 of those. Some are from BMG though so at this point I had not loaded them up... this eases that fear.

Thanks Brian!

ebay the rare ones indiviually and then ebay the rest of them in one package.

so then people are bidding on a collection of like 50 dvd's someone will buy it. (dunno how many dvd's you have)

Thank you for this thread, i was loading dvd's on ebay when I saw this. I wound up taking half of my dvd's (about 40-45) to FYE. I must add if you have a lot of dvd's and want more credit add the savings card they offer for $25. I actually got an additional $8 for doing this and saved 20% off of any purchase today. That is on top of the extra credit they give. I got enough to get a 1 gb memory card for PSP, Hercules season 4 and Rock band 360 ( and a $30 rebate).

I'll be unloading a bunch of DVDs tomorrow at FYE as well. They give pretty good prices and most of my DVDs nowadays just collect dust.

What the hell is everyone doing selling all there dvds...........

Is the world coming to an end? Did everyone get Blueray/HD DVD players for xmas..and feel like they need to sell there hard bought dvds for a quarter of the price?

Its crazy...........And I thought people that bought new release games and traded them in a week later were bad.

This may be a dumb question, but how much cash do these stores even have on hand? If I were to trade in 200 DVDs, I'd get around $600, since the average price of each title is $3. Add the 20% bonus, and that's over $700.

I dont think they give you cash if your going for that 20% bonus. I think it only applies to store credit. And I doubt they would have anymore than $300 on hand to give you. At least my local FYE doesnt.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']What the hell is everyone doing selling all there dvds...........

Is the world coming to an end? Did everyone get Blueray/HD DVD players for xmas..and feel like they need to sell there hard bought dvds for a quarter of the price?

Its crazy...........And I thought people that bought new release games and traded them in a week later were bad.[/quote]

I'm not sure. My only guess is that they're dust collecting titles not watched; maybe the movies sucked. But then one must wonder why purchase and not just rent. It might be best to consider netflix-ing possibly desirable titles, then determine if they're worth buying.

I rarely, if ever, have any DVDs that I want to sell at all. All DVDs that I buy are keepers for the long haul; my collection are animated titles predominant with a few live-action flicks and tv series.

[quote name='Megalith']This may be a dumb question, but how much cash do these stores even have on hand? If I were to trade in 200 DVDs, I'd get around $600, since the average price of each title is $3. Add the 20% bonus, and that's over $700.[/quote]

They would deffinately make you come back a few times I would think. Try going in with 20-30 dvds at a time while the store isn't very busy, after 1 or 2 pm so they've had time to make some sales.

And the 20% bonus applies to cash trades, if you were to do store credit you would get 40%, wich really isn't worth it IMO considering how much they marke up their blurays. I just take the cash, and hit up amazon.com

I've got a bunch of bullshit I"m going to take to FYE today that I got from Movie Gallery. From my estimates I should get around $50. I'll take it to get rid of the clutter.

[quote name='Wormil']I put my used DVDs and games on half.com. You get raped trading them in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i dont know. some of them I priced I broke even without a bit of the hassle or supplies of envelopes, mess of mailing etc.

I normally will sell, unless I can trade at near prices. Time is not worth the few dollars.

thanks for the FYE info everyone...i was always wondering what i should do with my DVDs. i don't know why i buy any. i only watch 'em once. i'm more of a renter.

I would suggest checking out www.peerflix.com, too. They've got a pretty robust DVD trading community.

If your goal is to get cash for your movies, this won't help...but if you're looking to just trade for other movies, Peerflix is good shit.

[quote name='BelieveTheHype']thanks for the FYE info everyone...i was always wondering what i should do with my DVDs. i don't know why i buy any. i only watch 'em once. i'm more of a renter.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. Before I noticed I was that way I amassed a collection of 250 DVD's. I waste monies :cry:

[quote name='bmachine']I would suggest checking out www.peerflix.com, too. They've got a pretty robust DVD trading community.

If your goal is to get cash for your movies, this won't help...but if you're looking to just trade for other movies, Peerflix is good shit.[/quote]Peerflix sucks. I was an earlier user and stopped because of that crappy "peermailer" idea of theirs.
switchplanet.com lets you trade complete movies, case and art included.

[quote name='Supernova']Melt them in fire[/quote]
Funny I was thinking the same thing. I have almost 300 DVD's. There basically worhtless to sell on eBay. I've tried countless times.

I wouldn't mind working out a trade deal with someone for some of mine. The hard thing is finding someone to trade with!!

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']I'm not sure. My only guess is that they're dust collecting titles not watched; maybe the movies sucked. But then one must wonder why purchase and not just rent. It might be best to consider netflix-ing possibly desirable titles, then determine if they're worth buying.

I rarely, if ever, have any DVDs that I want to sell at all. All DVDs that I buy are keepers for the long haul; my collection are animated titles predominant with a few live-action flicks and tv series.[/QUOTE]
I think it's more the fact that most people don't watch a dvd more than once even though they bought them to re-watch. I'll rarely watch any movie more than once unless it's a classic. I realized that I have too many movies. The worst is when you've bought a special edition and never watched any of the features. Now, I buy with caution. I'm only gonna buy a movie that's really worth it or extremely cheap like 5-10 bucks for a blu-ray. that way you can always get rid of it and won't feel guilty about it.

[quote name='linkmon']Funny I was thinking the same thing. I have almost 300 DVD's. There basically worhtless to sell on eBay. I've tried countless times.

I wouldn't mind working out a trade deal with someone for some of mine. The hard thing is finding someone to trade with!![/QUOTE]

DVDplanet.com quote machine. They merged with digitaleyes.net a few years ago, who always had some of the best buy-back prices. tYou'll get at least something for all of them. It's cake to do the trade-in too.

[quote name='dvdsrule']I have been using Dvdplanet for years, there is nothing fishy about them. The only thing is that you have to ship the dvds yourself and you don't get reimbursed for the shipping. They only give online credit, no cash. But they do give the best prices and great service. I got my entire Blu-ray collection from them by trading in my standard dvds.

Great service, no complaints.[/QUOTE]

Same here. It's a good alternative. I usually check wherehouse.com or secondspin.com as well to see which one gives the most $$$. The only downside is that dvdplanet.com only gives store credit, but it's like having a HD/blu-ray preorder fund :)

God damn it! Why did CAG have to be down last week!? I missed out on the extra 20% deal.

Do the prices on secondspin.com represent store-credit, or cash?

[quote name='shyguy1083']the 20% deal at FYE goes on until 2/28/08... if that's the deal you're referring to.[/quote]

oh wow! You just made my day! Do I just bring in my own paper bag?

I just called them up, they said I can still get 20% extra as long as I have the brown bag...which I don't.
What's it look like, how big was it? And does anyone still have one they could send me?

I just want to be sure that if I want to use the brown paper bag method should I call the store first to confirm or just do it and can I use my own paper bag or just theirs. Also can I sell my Blu-Ray movies there I have like six I want to get rid of and they brand new too.

[quote name='Zero_Shadow']I just want to be sure that if I want to use the brown paper bag method should I call the store first to confirm or just do it and can I use my own paper bag or just theirs. Also can I sell my Blu-Ray movies there I have like six I want to get rid of and they brand new too.[/quote] You should call. They do take blu ray's but I suggest you try and trade them on here or sell them on ebay. You'll end up getting 8$ max at FYE for blu's

[quote name='Pookymeister']im about to send off a bunch to both secondspin and dvdplanet[/quote] Do they cover shipping or do you have to take care of them? If so Ill just drop by FYE.

The FYE in my mall closed a few months ago, but I was wondering about Suncoast? I'm not sure but are they part of the same company? If so, would you get similar trade in rates? I'm also asking since I'm curious about that trade in sale you were talking about and was wondering if it might be going on there? If not, I'll probably try secondspin. I got a handful of DVDs I can get rid of.

[quote name='PhiLeingFunkie']Do they cover shipping or do you have to take care of them? If so Ill just drop by FYE.[/quote]

Yes to SS, no to DVDplanet but they give more credit.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Yes to SS, no to DVDplanet but they give more credit.[/quote] Thanks, I found the info under store policy. I am very excited, although they don't have the most robust collection of blu ray titles, there are enough for me to trade in for. I think im going to get: The Departed and Pirates 2.

[quote name='SuperJedi']What about NEW/Unopened DVDs?

Man Blockbuster used to give you at least $5 for almost every DVD :([/quote] Not sure. I once saw a customer at ebgames bring in an unopened NFL 2k1 and they refused. Funny thing is, he just ripped open the seal and traded in. This was back in the dreamcast days of course. I think you should just openm your sealed stuff just in case.

I am so glad I happened upon this thread. I brought in the most random dvd's to FYE a couple of days ago and left with $41 in store credit!

My dvd's ranged from USHER LIVE, to very outdated wrestling dvd's and music concerts.

hey, i live in seattle, wa; i have a ps3 but am always looking for cheap dvds if the selection/price is right. can you tell me more about what you have/how much?

[quote name='SuperJedi']What about NEW/Unopened DVDs?

Man Blockbuster used to give you at least $5 for almost every DVD :([/quote]

do you remember when they had that special $8.00 per DVD trade in promotion? wow, that was the best. unloaded so many dvds. but then again, blu-ray and hd-dvd were non-existent.

[quote name='dave07']do you remember when they had that special $8.00 per DVD trade in promotion? wow, that was the best. unloaded so many dvds. but then again, blu-ray and hd-dvd were non-existent.[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah sure do... I hit up a local pawn shop and bout a ton of their $2-$3 DVD's and earned enough credit to preorder a DS. I stopped at that point, I should not have but did.

That deal was sick.

[quote name='Snake2715']Uh yeah sure do... I hit up a local pawn shop and bout a ton of their $2-$3 DVD's and earned enough credit to preorder a DS. I stopped at that point, I should not have but did.

That deal was sick.[/quote]

A true CAG my friend. I got 3:10 to yuma for about 2 bucks today on blu ray after trading in a couple of dvd's to FYE. 3:10 was on sale (from 39.99) to 27.99 which is what it goes for everywhere else i guess

I made a little over $40 trading in some CDs at FYE with the 20% bag. The sad thing is, I had a lot of scratched CDs that they wouldn't take. Maybe I should invest in a Disc Doctor to repair them.

Maybe the girl working there is just extremely nice or there is a hush hush promotion going on now, but the two times I've gone to trade in stuff to FYE with no Paper bag, i've received 25% extra credit. I do not have a backstage pass with fye either.

I just sold about 300 bucks worth of DVD's to secondspin.com and the transaction was seamless (but all of them were in mint so I had no problems with them taking them). I'll definately use them again in the future.

bread's done
Back