Gfx Card question

yester

CAGiversary!
I just need some quick help to decide what card i should get.

I was originally refereed to a Nvidia GX460 but it seems that this card is facing out. There is a 560 which is the newer card.
What i curious about is, if the 460 is still ok as an upgrade for my Gt8800 or if the 560 is so much better that the money is better placed there.

Any suggestions?
(i am a little on budget so can't spend more than $150 for a card at the moment)

460 is very close to the 560, the 560ti 448 core or 6950/7850 is the next worthwhile jump. You can also hold out for the next round of nvidia cards to see if you see some sales to clear out the old inventory too.

so essentially its not a big jump between them.
Mm... i have to think and see when i buy.
I have to admit that i am pretty uninformed right now but when will be the next generation due? Or how old is the 560?

Thanks for the input, it helps. :)

I got a 460 over a year ago. Works great. Mine was the 768MB GDDR5. But I paid either 90 or 100 for it a year ago after sale/rebates on amazon. I see it is more expensive now and if it is getting phased out you might want to wait.

OP, depending on the games you are looking to play... anything more than a 460 may be overkill depending on the type of gamer you are.

GTX 460 will run all new games on high/ultra settings at 1080p resolution. If you do not intend to play on a higher resolution (most dont) than the 460 is the best bang for your buck.

The new gtx 670s were just released so you will see the 460's drop in price.

Heres a link for a good MSI gtx 460.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-0GPO1X8lBIg9xXJZugDiVA

sounds great and saves me money.

Currently i am looking for playing Oblivion (which runs fine with the current setting) and Skyrim (which lags a little in high res).
And whatever comes down the line. Not playing much Egoshooters these days, but i might play one of them too.

So if the 460 does that, its my card. Is there something i should watch for? Like avoid some models (SE).

Otherwise thanks for the statement.

Thanks for the link. I really appreciate it.

I still don't get the numbering by these manufactures. I think its to confuse people like me :)

At least i know i don't need to pay to much right now to have a decent card in the comb. I paid $300 for my GT8800 at the time (a long time) and since haven't done much research really. So my knowledge is now down the toilet, pretty much.

So thanks for the info. I really need it.

[quote name='yester']Thanks for the link. I really appreciate it.

I still don't get the numbering by these manufactures. I think its to confuse people like me :)

At least i know i don't need to pay to much right now to have a decent card in the comb. I paid $300 for my GT8800 at the time (a long time) and since haven't done much research really. So my knowledge is now down the toilet, pretty much.

So thanks for the info. I really need it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those numbers are very confusing because often times the higher number does not mean the best card. Coincidentally this hierarchy of gfx cards shows your current card isn't too far behind the 460:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rd-geforce-gtx-590-radeon-hd-6990,2879-7.html

True but the performance sheet showed that my is lagging behind. Don't get me wrong. This card is still good, just not for new games anymore. In Skyrim i get a mere 30fps which sounds good but isn't that much in reality. And that was with not much fighting or lots of probs.
Oblivion i can play just fine with the GT8800.

I think the purchase should be fine. Down the line i will build a new pc for myself (since this one is shared) and put a newer card inside that last a little longer.

Or i don't know. Does it make even sense to spend lots of money on a fgx card? (like lasting a long time)

Just this last weekend, i upgraded from a GT8800 (512MB) to a Galaxy GTX 460 1GB. Paid $139 at Microcenter and it comes overclocked from the company. Could have gotten it cheaper online but didn't want to deal with rebates or being sent the SE edition. Anyway it runs a bit louder when playing games than the 8800 and needs two 6-pin connectors from your power supply which needs to be at least 450watts. It's the same width and length of the GT 8800. I've played Darkness 2 and Mafia 2 on highest settings without a hiccup. Shogun 2 runs better during big battles. Like you i last read up on video cards when i bought the 8800 in 2008. Boy they freakin make it so confusing now. This will be my last upgrade before i build a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i will stay with Evga. Good experience.
The price is fair i think and so it doesn't hurt to much to spend a little for an upgrade in that department.
But yes, very confusing indeed. If i would follow the progression i could make a better judgment but i rarely read about graphics cards these days.
And if it plays everything just fine that good to me.

I think i have a Hyper PSU which should have all the connections. I mean its standard.

bread's done
Back