Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - From the Ace Attorney creator! - Out Now!

Bah, this game just isn't gripping me like it should. I don't give a shit about the characters or the story, nor does the game give me any real reason to. Most of the characters are more annoying than anything (I could use some more Missile where I'm at now, at least he's cute). And
Lynne
dies way too fucking much! Every fucking mission you are saving that SOB and it's getting old. And I can't stand how much you have to backtrack if you fuck up somewhere along the way- and there's no way to skip scenes and dialogue that I know of. I'll probably try to get through the game and then sell it. Very disappointing, though I honestly am not surprised, as I wasn't too impressed by the demo.

I got my copy and have had only a few minutes with it, but I am blown away so far. I certainly don't hope I get to the point where I feel like DoK does.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Bah, this game just isn't gripping me like it should. I don't give a shit about the characters or the story, nor does the game give me any real reason to. Most of the characters are more annoying than anything (I could use some more Missile where I'm at now, at least he's cute). And
Lynne
dies way too fucking much! Every fucking mission you are saving that SOB and it's getting old. And I can't stand how much you have to backtrack if you fuck up somewhere along the way- and there's no way to skip scenes and dialogue that I know of. I'll probably try to get through the game and then sell it. Very disappointing, though I honestly am not surprised, as I wasn't too impressed by the demo.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Really? I liked the demo though so maybe I'll like the game a little better. I've never played any Ace Attorney games either so I don't know what to expect.

I completed the first chapter finally..DoK, you crazy. The game rocks. Story is cool, atmosphere is cool, dialogue is fun, characters seem fine, and the gameplay is interesting.

Great game, though I wouldn't expect less coming from these guys.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I completed the first chapter finally..DoK, you crazy. The game rocks. Story is cool, atmosphere is cool, dialogue is fun, characters seem fine, and the gameplay is interesting.

Great game, though I wouldn't expect less coming from these guys.[/QUOTE]

There's 18 chapters. You've barely completed a fraction of the game. Come back once you've actually played more than an hour of the game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'] And I can't stand how much you have to backtrack if you fuck up somewhere along the way- and there's no way to skip scenes and dialogue that I know of.[/QUOTE]

Well for text you've already read you can just hold down the B button to skip the text.

Just finished the game and it was one hell of a ride, thats for sure.

Huge *tweest* for an ending.

[quote name='Kimpz']Well for text you've already read you can just hold down the B button to skip the text.

Just finished the game and it was one hell of a ride, thats for sure.

Huge *tweest* for an ending.[/QUOTE]

Around how long did it take to beat?

[quote name='Cheska19']Around how long did it take to beat?[/QUOTE]

About a day or two, each chapter is usually 45-60 mins long and with 18 chapters, and having to repeat some puzzles.

[quote name='Kimpz']Well for text you've already read you can just hold down the B button to skip the text.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's what I get for not RTFM.

Still trying to trudge through this.... a ridiculous stealth mission did not help matters. Halfway through now based on the number of chapters.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Thanks, that's what I get for not RTFM.

Still trying to trudge through this.... a ridiculous stealth mission did not help matters. Halfway through now based on the number of chapters.[/QUOTE]

That mission, THAT MISSION.

The difficult part was getting to the top floor, I hate that mission with a passion requires quick hands/timing.

Best chapter is next btw imo, so many ways to get a dead end.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']There's 18 chapters. You've barely completed a fraction of the game. Come back once you've actually played more than an hour of the game.[/QUOTE]

You said you shouldn't have bought the game because you didn't enjoy the demo. Your judgment seems to have held up off of initial impressions. Well, I have demoed the game at this point and it is fantastic. I have completed three chapters now and I don't see my opinion changing that much.

You don't like it. Great. I guess no one else will, including those that are enjoying it initially when you did not.

[quote name='Kimpz']That mission, THAT MISSION.

The difficult part was getting to the top floor, I hate that mission with a passion requires quick hands/timing.

Best chapter is next btw imo, so many ways to get a dead end.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, the stealth mission was the worst. I was getting a little disappointed at that point. It was good, but getting a bit repetitive. But I trudged through, and you're right. The next mission is awesome. The one after that really got me back into the story. So now I'm back. Really looking forward to finishing up tomorrow.

People had trouble with the stealth mission? That was one mission I had no problems with, after checking out the cores that I could interact with and potential hiding spots. Got through it on the first try. Now the chapter after that I had to repeat quite a few times
before I got the correct order down. Despite that, it is a good mission, since it forced you to think a few steps ahead before interacting with something.

[quote name='Cao Cao']People had trouble with the stealth mission? That was one mission I had no problems with, after checking out the cores that I could interact with and potential hiding spots. Got through it on the first try. Now the chapter after that I had to repeat quite a few times
before I got the correct order down. Despite that, it is a good mission, since it forced you to think a few steps ahead before interacting with something.
[/QUOTE]

Guard 3 was definitely the wild card of the bunch, if you didnt time it right he'd catch you outta the 4 guards most of the time, but yeah that mission is easy once you finish it.

[quote name='Yanksfan']

You don't like it. Great. I guess no one else will, including those that are enjoying it initially when you did not.[/QUOTE]

When did I say that? Putting words in my mouth there.

I seem to be the only one who doesn't like the game anyways. Keep in mind I did enjoy the Phoenix Wright and AAI games (except for PW 2, that one sucked; I also didn't play Apollo Justice).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']When did I say that? Putting words in my mouth there.[/QUOTE]

It just appears that you do not truly like this game. Which is cool, to each their own, but I find it odd that you would question that particular statement considering you have yet to say anything positive about it or hint that you like it in anyway. You have left numerous impressions that would indicate the exact opposite of you liking it.

[quote name='Yanksfan']It just appears that you do not truly like this game. Which is cool, to each their own, but I find it odd that you would question that particular statement considering you have yet to say anything positive about it or hint that you like it in anyway. You have left numerous impressions that would indicate the exact opposite of you liking it.[/QUOTE]

I am talking about how you said, "Great, you don't like it, I guess no one will." I never said anything like that.

[quote name='Cao Cao']People had trouble with the stealth mission? That was one mission I had no problems with, after checking out the cores that I could interact with and potential hiding spots. Got through it on the first try. Now the chapter after that I had to repeat quite a few times
[/QUOTE]

I didn't like how you couldn't move the camera while in ghost mode. It was tough to tell which direction they were facing in the dark, and you couldn't move the camera in ghost mode to tell either. Plus it was tough to tell where you were supposed to lead him, I really didn't think he would be able to move to the areas where you are supposed to move him. He had to make some weird moves to get there. I understand they were trying to give something different, but to me it just wasn't a fun level.

[quote name='bcoakiot']Ugh, the stealth mission was the worst. I was getting a little disappointed at that point. It was good, but getting a bit repetitive. But I trudged through, and you're right. The next mission is awesome. The one after that really got me back into the story. So now I'm back. Really looking forward to finishing up tomorrow.[/QUOTE]it seems like that stealth stage is a big turning point in the game's story.

Like once u pass it, all the characters are set in place and the story really seems to pick up.

I think Im on like ch.
rite now and Im beginning to get real gripped into the game.

I'm on Chapter 16/18 now and the game has finally gotten more interesting. Actually it got more interesting around Chapter 14 when
you get to play as Missile. They REALLY should have introduced him as playable a lot earlier in the game instead of like 80% in. Also, when the first big TWEEST is revealed (about the manipulator) is where the story gets to be decent.
So yeah, the game does get better and starts to get moderately interesting, but it happens too late for me to really get excited about it. Honestly, I doubt I could've completed the game if it didn't pick up like this. Elevates the game from "ugh" to "meh/ok" for me.

Finished this earlier today. The final TWEESTS were decent, though the final explanation of the story got a little convoluted. All in all, I couldn't personally recommend this game, though there were some bright spots, particularly the last ~20% of the game. But no game should ever take the first 80% of the game to finally build up to something decent. But what do I know, I am pretty sure I am the only person I've seen who didn't like this game, other than Game Informer, which always has suspect opinions. But for some reason, I think they nailed it for this game. And in honor of that:

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

And a link to the review text:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/974785-ghost-trick-phantom-detective/57755668

[quote name='Dead of Knight']But no game should ever take the first 80% of the game to finally build up to something decent.[/QUOTE]yeay not unless that first 80% is fun...

...which it is.

[quote name='pete5883']Has anyone seen this at a Best Buy? I have some GC's but I don't see it on their site.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're selling it. It's not on their site and I couldn't find a copy at 3 different stores.

[quote name='bmachine']I don't think they're selling it. It's not on their site and I couldn't find a copy at 3 different stores.[/QUOTE]

Which is weird because they sold SMT: Strange Journey and I am pretty sure that is more niche than this.

January is the end of the fiscal year for most retailers. Buyers are usually waiting for February so their budgets will reset. If you had a limited open-to-buy, would you channel into additional copies of LBP2 and Dead Space 2...or into Ghost Trick?

Just speculation, of course.

whooo~!!! I also beat it this morning!!

and by morning, I mean afternoon coz I dont wake up til 11...

GOTY 2011!!

I loved all percents of the game and recommend it to all percents of people!!

[quote name='JEKKI']whooo~!!! I also beat it this morning!!

and by morning, I mean afternoon coz I dont wake up til 11...

GOTY 2011!!

I loved all percents of the game and recommend it to all percents of people!![/QUOTE]
My problem with the game is that it's very linear and there's only one solution.

The only solution is to buy the game and enjoy it.

someone help me with the story... ending spoilers
In timeline 1, Sissel inherits ghost powers but is unaware of them and doesn't do anything. Missile gets ghost powers too, follows Yomiel to the sub where he is betrayed. When Yomiel's shard gets removed, Missile goes back in time to when Yomiel dies... which leads to timeline 2.
In timeline 2, Missile waits for that day 10 years in the future. His powers change so he is able to weakly manipulate objects. He is able to teach Sissel about her powers, but Sissel refuses to help. Same thing happens, Missile ends up 10 years in the past again.
In timeline 3, Missile convinces Sissel that she will expire by dawn, so she accepts the help.

... but wait...
... how was Missile able to go back in time? I thought he didn't have powers of the dead? Unless he did, he just couldn't manipulate objects? And was timeline 2 really necessary for timeline 3? Feels like they could've skipped that part...

[quote name='kainzero']someone help me with the story... ending spoilers
In timeline 1, Sissel inherits ghost powers but is unaware of them and doesn't do anything. Missile gets ghost powers too, follows Yomiel to the sub where he is betrayed. When Yomiel's shard gets removed, Missile goes back in time to when Yomiel dies... which leads to timeline 2.
In timeline 2, Missile waits for that day 10 years in the future. His powers change so he is able to weakly manipulate objects. He is able to teach Sissel about her powers, but Sissel refuses to help. Same thing happens, Missile ends up 10 years in the past again.
In timeline 3, Missile convinces Sissel that she will expire by dawn, so she accepts the help.

... but wait...
... how was Missile able to go back in time? I thought he didn't have powers of the dead? Unless he did, he just couldn't manipulate objects? And was timeline 2 really necessary for timeline 3? Feels like they could've skipped that part...
[/QUOTE]

You got time line 2 wrong. I'll try to simplify and say there are 2 time lines, Missle's and Sissel's (or the game's present time line).

In Missile's time line, he dies and he follows Yomiel to the junkyard, where he meets Sissel (possessing a desk lamp) for the first time and Sissel refuses to help Missile. Later on in that same time line after following Yomiel around, Missile ends up at the bottom of the sea in the room with Yomiel's body. Presumably (it's not made totally obvious in the script), he then gets the power to rewind time or go back to the past 10 years to Yomiel's death, where he stays for 10 years and then ends up at the junkyard until Sissel's time line. Now, he calls himself Ray and inhabits a desk lamp and that's the start of the game.

Hope that clears it up a little.

[quote name='kilm']
You got time line 2 wrong. I'll try to simplify and say there are 2 time lines, Missle's and Sissel's (or the game's present time line).

In Missile's time line, he dies and he follows Yomiel to the junkyard, where he meets Sissel (possessing a desk lamp) for the first time and Sissel refuses to help Missile. Later on in that same time line after following Yomiel around, Missile ends up at the bottom of the sea in the room with Yomiel's body. Presumably (it's not made totally obvious in the script), he then gets the power to rewind time or go back to the past 10 years to Yomiel's death, where he stays for 10 years and then ends up at the junkyard until Sissel's time line. Now, he calls himself Ray and inhabits a desk lamp and that's the start of the game.

Hope that clears it up a little.[/QUOTE]
wait, but...
I thought timeline 1 was that Yomiel meets Lynne, the Lynne incident happens, THEN they go to Kamila and Missile's house and kill them there (just as in timeline 2, except Lynne is saved). I don't see any reason for Yomiel to go back to the junkyard? Or am I missing something?

BTW, one thing I just realized...
Sissel can't read, not because she forgot, but because she was a cat. Funny how that works. And actually, a lot of the things Sissel forgets are not due to plot convenience but because she never knew about it in the first place. Really interesting...

whaaaaat?!?!

yeay there's only 2 timelines. the 3rd timeline is the happy ending that is created when u beat the game.

in T1, Missile dies, goes to the junkyard, meets Sissel, Sissel does his(her?) own thing, Missle does his own thing, then goes back to Yomiel's death, then chills for 10 years to start the events of the game that I guess we can call T2.

Missile does have the power to rewind time. Remember Kamila dies and he goes back to save her, killing the Park Ranger instead. We do get to see Kamila die, and it's also foreshadowed earlier when Sissel notices she has a core when he sees her kidnapped.

this brings 2 questions to my mind;

since Missile can rewind time, why didnt he just rewind it to before he talked to Sissel and convinced him to help right there instead of waiting 10 years?? Lynne was already dead when he met Sissel so he coulda easily done that. Of course, if he did that, then we wouldnt have a premise for the game =P

question 2 is during T1, why was Yomiel present when he went to Lynne's house? He should have still had his body knocked over and snatched away by the fake doctor and pigeon man / Cabanela.

-EDIT-

well, I figured out a possible explanation for my 2nd issue;

the presence of Lynne's corpse coulda caused a possible butterfly effect allowing fake doctor to deliver Yomiel's body back to his blue people.

[quote name='kainzero']wait, but...
I thought timeline 1 was that Yomiel meets Lynne, the Lynne incident happens, THEN they go to Kamila and Missile's house and kill them there (just as in timeline 2, except Lynne is saved). I don't see any reason for Yomiel to go back to the junkyard? Or am I missing something?
[/QUOTE]

Maybe he needed to go back to kill the superintendent (professor/medical examiner). Sissel's journey takes her back and forth to locations, so it's not completely confounding that there is some reason for Missile (or Yomiel) to go to the Junkyard, maybe to go see Lynne's body, the scene of the crime... so on and so forth

[quote name='Jekki']
since Missile can rewind time, why didnt he just rewind it to before he talked to Sissel and convinced him to help right there instead of waiting 10 years?? Lynne was already dead when he met Sissel so he coulda easily done that. Of course, if he did that, then we wouldnt have a premise for the game =P

question 2 is during T1, why was Yomiel present when he went to Lynne's house? He should have still had his body knocked over and snatched away by the fake doctor and pigeon man / Cabanela.
[/quote]

1. If rewinding time works like Sissel's, he can only rewind time to someone's death from their corpse. If they took away Lynne's body, then Missile wouldn't have been able to rewind time and been at the junkyard when Sissel's dies and becomes a ghost. The only opportunity to re-meet Sissel at her death might have just been rewinding time from Yomiel's death in the submarine.

2. Since the whole time line is different, you could probably just make your own explanation. From the time Yomiel enters the apartment with the hitman might be different than when the hitman enters alone in Sissel's time line. Stuff might've happened that allowed Yomiel to get his body faster than the events in the game. Butterfly effect, as you put it

[quote name='JEKKI']
Missile does have the power to rewind time. Remember Kamila dies and he goes back to save her, killing the Park Ranger instead. We do get to see Kamila die, and it's also foreshadowed earlier when Sissel notices she has a core when he sees her kidnapped.
[/QUOTE]
I don't think Kamila dies. Does she? I thought she was only saved in the moment. Perhaps she had a core because Missile alters her fate? I'm not sure.

I do remember some conversation happening where Missile can't do something because he needs Sissel's powers to go back in time, but I forget when that happens; possibly in the time when Yomiel, Sissel, Missile, Lynne, and Kamila are sinking in the sub.

[quote name='JEKKI']
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I didn't quite understand that myself. Your theory seems sound.
I was also thinking that they didn't kill Kamila and Missile as fast as they did in the game's timeline, because remember, they sent the assassin to Lynne's apartment to kill her when she comes back. But then... why did they even go to Lynne's apartment in the first timeline?

[quote name='kainzero']
But then... why did they even go to Lynne's apartment in the first timeline?
[/QUOTE]

to get the music box

[quote name='kilm']
to get the music box
[/QUOTE]
Yomiel doesn't need the music box. The music box was important because it contained evidence that would release Dowd. But Dowd agreed to his own execution and no one knows of the existence of the music box besides Lynne and Dowd, so unless Dowd had a change of heart at the very very last second, there would be no reason for him to reveal what's in the box.

I think the only reason would be to mistakenly capture Kamila instead of the Minister's daughter, but ... I dunno, that's kinda stretching it...

[quote name='kainzero']
Yomiel doesn't need the music box. The music box was important because it contained evidence that would release Dowd. But Dowd agreed to his own execution and no one knows of the existence of the music box besides Lynne and Dowd, so unless Dowd had a change of heart at the very very last second, there would be no reason for him to reveal what's in the box.

I think the only reason would be to mistakenly capture Kamila instead of the Minister's daughter, but ... I dunno, that's kinda stretching it...
[/QUOTE]

Ok... but Missile states that they went to the apartment to get the music box. So however you want to interpret that...

I just finished Chapter 10..great stuff.

I also didn't end up having any real problems with the stealth chapter, so perhaps it is just luck of the draw when you pull the trigger to have him move.

Chapter 10, I had to redo several times to get the positioning down correctly. I felt this was the first time in the game that I had to really push through a part of a mission, even incorrectly, to get more knowledge on where I would need to be once I rewound time again. I enjoyed it though, as I had to apply a bit more thought than normal.

When you guys talk about the "stealth level", are you referring to the one where you have to
help Jowd escape from prison
?

If so, that one was a bitch! :bomb:

[quote name='bmachine']When you guys talk about the "stealth level", are you referring to the one where you have to
help Jowd escape from prison
?

If so, that one was a bitch! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yep, I believe that is the one.

[quote name='maigoyume']Just picked this up from Amazon's B2G1 sale, gonna try it out soon.

Btw how long is this game?[/QUOTE]
I think I played through it in like 6-8 hours.

Many people might say "HEY THAT'S A SHORT GAME" but I dunno, I just think of it as buying a $30 book on release.

I really enjoyed this game up until the stealth escort mission.

... Which combined three of my pet peeves.

Escort missions. Stealth missions. Timing based missions with /indirect/ control.

I just can't work up the urge to continue beating my head against this task.

bread's done
Back