Ghosts and The Supernatural

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
Do you guys believe in ghosts or anything supernatural? I bring it up because my girlfriend is apparently terrified of ghosts. Last night, my computer woke itself up in the middle of the night (probably because of the wireless mouse) and I jokingly said that it was a ghost. Big mistake. She wouldn't go to sleep and every time I had to leave the room, I had to turn all the lights on. And every few minutes, she would ask me a question to make sure I wasn't possessed.

But what was weird for me, is that I didn't care at all. I've been an outspoken atheist/skeptic for a few years now, so I don't really believe in anything that we don't have evidence for. But despite the fact that I'v never believed in ghosts, there was always this part of my brain that kind of thought there might be some. But I realized last night that there's absolutely no doubt in me that any kind of ghost or supernatural beings exist.

So I thought it might be a good topic of discussion. Do you believe in ghosts? Have any stories that you want to share that I'll disregard but others might listen to? :lol:

As an atheist, I have this irrational fear of the dark, which is why I shouldn't and don't watch horror movies. The Ring, Blair Witch, and Exocist were not very fun for me even though I intellectually know there's no such thing.

Funny gf story: One night I was looking for something and she thought it'd be hilarious to try and scare me. One of the closets is pretty big with a lot of crap in it, so she hid in a big basket that was covered by coats. I opened the door, took a quick gander without digging through anything, closed the door and left. Came back a couple minutes later to do a more intensive search through some boxes, opened the door, and she jumps out of the basket while screaming something. Scared the shit out of me. I would've punched her in the teeth if I wasn't busy hyperventilating while curled up in a ball on the ground having a heart attack. Just kidding, I was too busy pissing and shitting myself. True story.

Personally no, I don't believe in ghosts. However I have experienced "ghosts" and I do believe I saw them. However I also know they weren't there and it was just my mind fucking up on me.

ive had some experiences in my life but most of my supernatural shit came from dreams growing up. i used to be able to see the future in my dreams sometimes and wouldnt know it until i got that weird deja vu feeling.

last dream that i had didnt seem like much at the time until it ended up being in a movie that came out recently. i had that dream the middle of last year i think and the movie is very close to it with a few tweaks here and there. so it makes me wonder could someone have had the same dream or is this something that could happen?

I've experienced things that my feeble mind couldn't rationally explain (nor have I cared to have them rationally explained), so I think it's easier to attribute such things to the supernatural.

My brain is just way too logical to let me function like that. My girlfriend sometimes says I'm too logical (which is impossible, I think). When something happens, I immediately have to try to figure out what may have caused it. I absolutely hate when somebody attributes an event to God/ghosts/luck/fairies/etc. and then leaves it at that. I personally like it, but whether it's good or not, my brain just rejects the idea of anything supernatural. :/ I guess it just helps me sleep at night knowing that our universe works exactly as we know it should.

I enjoy watching the Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures and other paranormal activity shows for pure entertainment purposes, because usually all they provide are minor inconviences or "touches" or "cold spots" or EVPs that are largely white noises of nothing, interpreted by our minds as actual words (all laughable).

That being said, I grew up in a 200-yr-old house with a violent history and grave outside the front door. Oh yeah, it's haunted too. Even a skeptic (or an atheist) could tell something was in that house. And we're turning it into a B&B, now taking reservations for haunted overnight stays, starting in 2 years... :)

[quote name='Access_Denied']I guess it just helps me sleep at night knowing that our universe works exactly as we know it should.[/QUOTE]

It's not this at all. There are things we don't understand, and we inquire using methods that can be easily understood and reproduced by others. These inquiries should yield results we can analyze in a straightforward manner -- the interpretation should be direct and not complicated by artifice.

That's the problem with haunted houses and dipshit Ghosthunters. Not only is it retarded, it's giving idiots the impression that this is how you inquire, that this is how you engage a subject in critical thought. I hate that show so completely, I've seen only snippets and yet I want everyone involved to perish due to some EMP device or ectoplasm indicator malfunction.

[quote name='cancermatt']I enjoy watching the Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures and other paranormal activity shows for pure entertainment purposes, because usually all they provide are minor inconviences or "touches" or "cold spots" or EVPs that are largely white noises of nothing, interpreted by our minds as actual words (all laughable).

That being said, I grew up in a 200-yr-old house with a violent history and grave outside the front door. Oh yeah, it's haunted too. Even a skeptic (or an atheist) could tell something was in that house. And we're turning it into a B&B, now taking reservations for haunted overnight stays, starting in 2 years... :)[/QUOTE]

This is my favorite post so far. :applause:

[quote name='dothog']It's not this at all. There are things we don't understand, and we inquire using methods that can be easily understood and reproduced by others. These inquiries should yield results we can analyze in a straightforward manner -- the interpretation should be direct and not complicated by artifice.

That's the problem with haunted houses and dipshit Ghosthunters. Not only is it retarded, it's giving idiots the impression that this is how you inquire, that this is how you engage a subject in critical thought. I hate that show so completely, I've seen only snippets and yet I want everyone involved to perish due to some EMP device or ectoplasm indicator malfunction.[/QUOTE]

I should probably choose my words more carefully, but yeah, sums up my thoughts pretty well. :lol:

EDIT:

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Well, if your girlfriend is so afraid, she should always be walking around with an iron stick and a box of salt. That'll keep the ghosts away.[/QUOTE]

I've considered telling her something similar. "You know, we should probably buy this proton pack on from the internet. It's $400, but it's guaranteed to keep away ghosts. ... What do you mean it's a waste of money? Are you afraid of ghosts or not?" :p

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Well, if your girlfriend is so afraid, she should always be walking around with an iron stick and a box of salt. That'll keep the ghosts away.[/QUOTE]
supernatural fan?

[quote name='GUNNM']All those ghost hunting shows and they still have no solid proof of ghosts existence[/QUOTE]

mtv did a show for a while , Fear i think was the name, and they had alot of proof on the show in fact i believe that may be why they ended it so abruptly. theres 2 episodes in particular set in a mine that you can see ghostly shadows clearly and one of the people who participated in the first set of mine explorations commented on how she never saw it but when she saw it on tv she was spooked.

the whole point of the show was to last the night by doing diff challenges and if you make it till morning you got the reward. on that first mine visit nobody stayed.

Yeah I remember that show it was pretty cool and probably the start of these ghost hunting shows IIRC. They would make em do stupid shit like bring lamb's blood inside of a well and stay there for 5 hours and then VH1 copied the idea and made a celeb version.

I believe in ghosts as I have experienced them first hand. There is plenty of proof out there for ghosts and demons, just that mainstream media doesn't portray it so people dismiss it.

[quote name='frostybroc']I believe in ghosts as I have experienced them first hand. There is plenty of proof out there for ghosts and demons, just that mainstream media doesn't portray it so people dismiss it.[/QUOTE]

I wish the fuckin media would stop keeping Casper down. fuck this bullshit.

[quote name='GUNNM']Yeah I remember that show it was pretty cool and probably the start of these ghost hunting shows IIRC. They would make em do stupid shit like bring lamb's blood inside of a well and stay there for 5 hours and then VH1 copied the idea and made a celeb version.[/QUOTE]

yep thats the show. the celeb one vh1 did was ok but fear was awesome.had that alice in chains song for the theme. that was a great show i used to watch that travel channel one too ghost hunters but the narcissistic guy in the tight shirts and the douchey hair cut is too much of a camera ham to deal with but if you can get past him they have great evidence. seems weird they havent spoofed him on snl.

I dont believe in ghosts even though I've had a couple odd experiences and I do get scared as hell of things like that because well what if.

One time I heard my sister calling me (I was upstairs and she was downstairs) so I go down to see what's up and nothing is up because nobody is home but me.

Also a few things with ouija boards.

1) it made a friend sick basically on command. I dont know if my friend was faking or not.

2) Told it to "give us a sign" and a halogen light died.

3) Told it to give us a sign (we liked doing that) and my friends dad was just suddenly there and scared the shit out of us. The odd thing was that we didnt hear my friends dad coming down the stairs even though we were listening/looking for "a sign". Normally we'd hear him coming. So maybe we just didnt hear him that time. Who knows. Odd stuff though.

Then the last time I stayed at this same friends house I could have sworn I heard banshees wailing for like an hour straight. I just sat there in the dark and listened. For all I know it was a water heater but christ it was scary whatever it was. Never heard it any other time I was there. Wont forget it.

[quote name='lokizz']yep thats the show. the celeb one vh1 did was ok but fear was awesome.had that alice in chains song for the theme. that was a great show i used to watch that travel channel one too ghost hunters but the narcissistic guy in the tight shirts and the douchey hair cut is too much of a camera ham to deal with but if you can get past him they have great evidence. seems weird they havent spoofed him on snl.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was godsmack.

[quote name='GUNNM']I thought it was godsmack.[/QUOTE]

youre right it was godsmack just checked it on the wiki. and ive had the weird " people calling my name when nobody else is home " happen to me too. didnt think much about it as a kid until i got older hindsight can be scary shit. and it wasnt like a hollow sound it would be my mom or my sisters vice clear as day coming from the living room. a few times id be into legs or something and id hear them calling me over and over so id say ok and go and and all empty.

I was grabbed while walking up these old stairs in my grandfathers house once, i was alone except for the person walking in front of me, and Ill never ever forget that, It was surreal and i totally turned around , freaked out that something grabbed me and I expected to see someone , but nobody was there..

[quote name='shinn']I was grabbed while walking up these old stairs in my grandfathers house once, i was alone except for the person walking in front of me, and Ill never ever forget that, It was surreal and i totally turned around , freaked out that something grabbed me and I expected to see someone , but nobody was there..[/QUOTE]
What'd you do go outside? I was in my room chillin with my dog and I thought it was my dad behind me wearing boots the footsteps started from his room and stopped at the door of mine I said ''hi, dad'' and no response so I looked back and nothing there so I ran outside for a little bit :bouncy:

[quote name='ShockandAww']I dont believe in ghosts even though I've had a couple odd experiences and I do get scared as hell of things like that because well what if.

One time I heard my sister calling me (I was upstairs and she was downstairs) so I go down to see what's up and nothing is up because nobody is home but me.

Also a few things with ouija boards.

1) it made a friend sick basically on command. I dont know if my friend was faking or not.

2) Told it to "give us a sign" and a halogen light died.

3) Told it to give us a sign (we liked doing that) and my friends dad was just suddenly there and scared the shit out of us. The odd thing was that we didnt hear my friends dad coming down the stairs even though we were listening/looking for "a sign". Normally we'd hear him coming. So maybe we just didnt hear him that time. Who knows. Odd stuff though.

Then the last time I stayed at this same friends house I could have sworn I heard banshees wailing for like an hour straight. I just sat there in the dark and listened. For all I know it was a water heater but christ it was scary whatever it was. Never heard it any other time I was there. Wont forget it.[/QUOTE]

Might have been cats fucking. In college, there were a bunch of strays outside of the apartment complex I lived at. They make a horrible, wailing noise.

[quote name='lokizz']ive had some experiences in my life but most of my supernatural shit came from dreams growing up. i used to be able to see the future in my dreams sometimes and wouldnt know it until i got that weird deja vu feeling.

last dream that i had didnt seem like much at the time until it ended up being in a movie that came out recently. i had that dream the middle of last year i think and the movie is very close to it with a few tweaks here and there. so it makes me wonder could someone have had the same dream or is this something that could happen?[/QUOTE]

I have had plenty of dreams that happen in real life down the road. The remembering that I dreamt it usually comes in spurts though (nothing for awhile, then a bunch at a time, then nothing again for awhile). My mom and sister have it as well so I suppose it's something in our DNA.

[quote name='mitch079']I have had plenty of dreams that happen in real life down the road. The remembering that I dreamt it usually comes in spurts though (nothing for awhile, then a bunch at a time, then nothing again for awhile). My mom and sister have it as well so I suppose it's something in our DNA.[/QUOTE]

i never really thought to ask anyone else in my family if they could do that or not next time i call home ill ask used to do alot of vivid dreaming too even had dreams where id get hurt in them and wake up with a pain wherever i got hurt.

Well last weekend I was at my GF's cousin's wedding. A few days later the bride posted pictures from the reception of what appeared to be a ghostly outline of a man dressed in a suit. She stated that it was suppose to be her mom who was suppose to be in the shot but she wasn't in it. Now her father died a few years back and apparently they carry his ashes in all big family events. The bride now believes she caught the image of her dad walking in the reception hall.

Doing a bit of photoshop detective work, there was no way it could have been her mom blurred because of a low light , no flash photography. The outline and shoes was that of a man.

Now i've heard stories that it has been possible to capture a ghost on camera, but I have never saw one until that day.....spooky....need to post it here.

About two years ago, I had an encounter with something odd in my bedroom. At around 6AM, my wife turned on her nightstand reading light to read for a few minutes before getting up to go to work. I decided to use the restroom before she went to shower, and got out of bed to put on my slippers. I took two steps towards the door when I noticed a shadowy figure standing at the foot of my bed. It stood around six feet tall, and had the outline of a man. It had no discernible features, and really looked like a shadow standing upright. I jumped backward at the shock, and was surprised when the figure jumped as well. The figure turned and ran towards the door and out into the dark hallway. It moved very quickly and without sound, though I was able to see distinct arms and legs as it turned and fled. My wife, who is terribly near-sighted, didn't see the figure, but she did see my reaction. I still have no idea what it was that I saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pacifickarma']About two years ago, I had an encounter with something odd in my bedroom. At around 6AM, my wife turned on her nightstand reading light to read for a few minutes before getting up to go to work. I decided to use the restroom before she went to shower, and got out of bed to put on my slippers. I took two steps towards the door when I noticed a shadowy figure standing at the foot of my bed. It stood around six fee tall, and had the outline of a man. It had no discernible features, and really looked like a shadow standing upright. I jumped backward at the shock, and was surprised when the figure jumped as well. The figure turned and ran towards the door and out into the dark hallway. It moved very quickly and without sound, though I was able to see distinct arms and legs as it turned and fled. My wife, who is terribly near-sighted, didn't see the figure, but she did see my reaction. I still have no idea what it was that I saw.[/QUOTE]

you scared your shadow lol.

Opportunity missed for making sweet love while claiming to be possessed.

I remember using a Ouija Board in the basement of my old house one night. I had a group of friends over, and we were fucking around with it...we asked it a question, and all of a sudden all power to the house went dead. It was pretty scary -- I lived in the country, on top of a hill, with no other houses around. We all got pretty freaked out, and I haven't touched that fucking thing since.

bread's done
Back