Gift Returns with no receipt?

Junior Asparagus

CAGiversary!
Does anyone know offhand which (if any) video game retailers accept returns for full store credit when I don't have a receipt?

It seems like most stores used to allow this, especially after the holidays, but that number seems to be dwindling.

expect this thread to shortly include many posts with the words "return fraud" somewhere therein

[quote name='Junior Asparagus']Does anyone know offhand which (if any) video game retailers accept returns for full store credit when I don't have a receipt?

It seems like most stores used to allow this, especially after the holidays, but that number seems to be dwindling.[/QUOTE]

It's dwindling due to customer abuse.

Edit. I take that back as "customer" is the wrong word to use. The person returning something to the store was never a customer.

What about a return with Target gift receipt? If the product is open (i.e. a PS3) would they give me store credit back? would they charge 15% restocking fee? now.. that would suck :(

I know Target always 2 no receipt trades in a year. I know Walmart also allows no receipt trades but I forget the number they allow per year.

[quote name='terborx']expect this thread to shortly include many posts with the words "return fraud" somewhere therein[/quote]Returning something to a store that it wasn't bought at is fraud.

[quote name='quanex']wal-mart requires a receipt on all electronic purchases.[/quote]And they're not accepting any returns on items more than $50 without a receipt anymore. So 360 and PS3 games, plus associated hardware, is right out.

Expect most vendors to not allow receiptless returns for much longer, due to rampant abuse. In any case, how hard is it to get a gift receipt and stick it on the gift in question? :roll:

[quote name='shrike4242']Returning something to a store that it wasn't bought at is fraud.

And they're not accepting any returns on items more than $50 without a receipt anymore. So 360 and PS3 games, plus associated hardware, is right out.

Expect most vendors to not allow receiptless returns for much longer, due to rampant abuse. In any case, how hard is it to get a gift receipt and stick it on the gift in question? :roll:[/quote]

Since when? I returned WoW Burning Crusade Collector's Edition a few months ago to Walmart without a receipt, got back $88 or something like that.

FYI, back when I was a naughty monkey and used to buy games from EB and take em to TRU or Wally World back in the day, it was THREE no receipt returns in a year @ Wally World n as many as TRU would ALLOW.

But TRU cracked down hard and doesn't even allow the no receipt thing now and its looking lik the worlds largest ripof....errr......retailer is going the same way.

It kinda sucks though, especially for those people who know for a fact the item(s) came from those stores, but alas many of us(including me) ruined it for everyone else.

I know Circuit City had a temporary 'no receipt' return policy for about a month after Christmas last year. Not sure if that'll be back again.

It was incredibly helpful, as I got Splinter Cell DA for Wii as a gift, no receipt... and it didn't work. Problem was, Wal-Mart wasn't carrying it, so CC sort of saved my ass on that one.

Point is, don't use it for fraud, but most stores should be a bit more lax in their policy following the holiday.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']Since when? I returned WoW Burning Crusade Collector's Edition a few months ago to Walmart without a receipt, got back $88 or something like that.[/quote]

Since today son! Its on their website, I called them and asked about it too.

This topic again? If you call it fraud you are using the term loosely. It may not be nice to do to Walmart, but it certainally isn't illegal.

[quote name='ZForce915']This topic again? If you call it fraud you are using the term loosely. It may not be nice to do to Walmart, but it certainally isn't illegal.[/QUOTE]

to argue this topic in here is to waste your perverbial breath

I'm having a hell of a time with Circuit City. I was given Ratchet and Clank for PSP as a gift with a receipt that didnt even print right (low ink) . And since the person bought it with a gift card and used up all the available funds they take the card back. So now i'm stuck with a game and a horrible return policy. Even though the game is unopened and its got a damn distinctive cc sticker on it. Not like i can take it anywhere else but to cc.

Call up corporate and they ask for your phone number and tell you that we cant find any purchases under that phone number. I mean come on you dimwits. I just want to make an exchange. Its not like im scaming you and taking your money. Hell i'd probably be spending more money on the game I do want. (Rachet and Clank PS3)

Screw dealing with managers they are just lazy assholes that spew out company policy. I just have to face it. Retail doesnt give a crap about its customers once its taken your money. Target has even gotten really harsh lately.

[quote name='shrike4242']Returning something to a store that it wasn't bought at is fraud.

And they're not accepting any returns on items more than $50 without a receipt anymore. So 360 and PS3 games, plus associated hardware, is right out.

Expect most vendors to not allow receiptless returns for much longer, due to rampant abuse. In any case, how hard is it to get a gift receipt and stick it on the gift in question? :roll:[/quote]

what about exchanges? my damn grandparents better find and give me the receipt to lair (i know they bought it there, but I'm sure they used cash, they never use credit or debit cards), i know for a fact WM has COD4 and I'd like to exchange it for that

irritating

[quote name='SuppaMan']what about exchanges? my damn grandparents better find and give me the receipt to lair (i know they bought it there, but I'm sure they used cash, they never use credit or debit cards), i know for a fact WM has COD4 and I'd like to exchange it for that

irritating[/QUOTE]

Gee, you sure sound grateful to your grandparents for being nice enough to buy you a $60 video game...

no it was really nice, but i dont want lair, the list of games i want is basically dwindled down (dont have a lot of free gaming time) to cod4, uncharted, haze, orange box, and mario galaxy (and i bought galaxy today)

its just gonna suck if im stuck with lair right now

i mean i was nice, i just told them i already had it and asked if they still had the receipt, seeing as though they dont live near me (they live down in FL) and they are in their mid-80s i doubt they thought to bring it (since it wasnt packaged with it) and i know considering them and their age they just bought it with cash

Here is the lowdown:

Target will allow 2 per year, BUT it has to be UNDER $20.

Wal-Mart will allow 3 per year, at any price. I have heard this "under $50" rumor, but that is YMMV.

Best Buy allows 1 per year, at any price.

[quote name='SuppaMan']what about exchanges? my damn grandparents better find and give me the receipt to lair (i know they bought it there, but I'm sure they used cash, they never use credit or debit cards), i know for a fact WM has COD4 and I'd like to exchange it for that

irritating[/quote]

It's all fraud, in a sense. Can you ever actually be found and incriminated? No. Is it illegal? You could even argue no for that one. It's just simply about ethics.

The policy is set in place as more of a "goodwill" type thing. Some people abuse it, and that's why I doubt it will last much longer.

But to answer your question, yes Wal-Mart will allow you to exchange it.

thank you

and considering walmart isnt a franchise, i dont see how exchanging a product that was bought at a walmart (albeit one in florida) to a different walmart (in new york) is a big deal as long as it carries the product

id have just had them look up the transaction based on a card number but most older people including my grandparents tend to not use todays technology (like atm/debit cards)

I don't use debit/credit cards myself either. Namely because I'd be like 'ooooo, I have credit, I can always pay off the bill before it arrives, I'll get that and that and that and that and.......' and before you know it, I'd be like millions of other Americans, in debt up to my eyeballs and barely able to make the minimum.

So yeah, I have a good reason to not use a regular credit/debit card. Now, those pre-paid ones on the other hand, those are a godsend. You can still order online with them and there's no way for a company to do a long term oopsie with your other money, since what's on the card is all that's on it.

bread's done
Back